Dublin

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:48 am

Keiron

I was wondering just how many of us BL's are also going to be in Dublin on the Tuesday evening and are going to be up for a bit of a hooley.

I remember when I was in Dublin last year with Joe and Anne Way you suggested a trip to Kilmainham Jail ( Dublin Jail to us English) unfortunately I never got around to a visit on that trip. However I shall make it a priority this year.
Also may I suggest a visit to the National Library in Kildare Street which has recently opened it’s long awaited W.B.Yeats exhibition
http://www.nli.ie/

Can I may could I also recommend a site for first time visitors to Dublin.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Eu ... lin/Dublin

Just scroll down the page and under the various headings you will find out all the information that the brochures never tell you.

As for visiting the Carravaggio, well I will have to disagree with you on that score. I still hold on to the view that the reason why ‘old masters’ are so revered is that there are so few of them to go around. The only exception perhaps being Titian. However…………….

Much better to visit the Hugh Lane Gallery to see the late great Dublin born Francis Bacon’s London Reece Mews Studio studio lovingly reconstructed.

After Guinness, and maybe Phil Lynott, Francis Bacon is surely the best thing that Dublin has ever given the world.

http://www.hughlane.ie/fb_studio

Be careful that you don’t make too much of a success of our meet up in Dublin otherwise we may all end up Dublin in 2010.

Don’t worry if we do as I sure I can arrange for the talent to be flown over form Liverpool:-)

Ta Ken

I
kieron

Post by kieron » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:13 pm

Hi Ken, great to hear from you.

Tuesday night is a great idea also, in fact there may be more around on Tuesday than Friday. Anyway a meet up on Tuesday is definetely on the cards once we know who's going to be around and where they are staying.

Your visit recommendations are excellent,
I forgot about the Yeats exhibition. In fact following on from that a visit to the Literary Museum in Parnell Square would work, it's also a beautiful town house to which was home to the Jameson (whiskey) family.

Hugh Lane Gallery is another excellent suggestion, personally I love Graham Knuttel's work, often there are a few hanging or in the shop on Dawson street. I must disagree on the Caravaggio, I find it spellbinding, probably undertones of my Catholic upbringing, as always with art, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
However the Francis Bacon studio is an excellent suggestion, one that I have not seen so I look forward to visiting that with you Ken.
I am going to take a few days off work on the Wednesday and Thursday so I can enjoy wandering the streets with whomever. Friday I must be in the West unforntunately but will be back in the East in time for the meet up.

As for the 2010 event, my vote personally in terms of Merit would be Poland, but if it's Dublin... so be it. Perhaps we should co-ordinate a venue midway Ken, Isle of Man?? A Manx meet up :D

All the best
K
"A terrible beauty is born" WB Yeats.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:48 am

Krakow could mean Ksenia 8) ~ in spite of herself :wink: !
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:20 am

Keiron

I'm glad to hear that an evening meet-up on the Tuesday is on the cards. Listening to various conversations in Berlin I got the impression that there would indeed be more folk around on the Tuesday evening than perhaps on Friday evening.

The Isle Of Man would be a non-starter for me. The Manx parliment still has a law that gives islanders permission to shoot Liverpudlians on sight.

BTW looking at the Irish top ten album chart published today it looks like that Ireland once again proves that it's musical tastes are all in order.
Straight in at number one...............

1 MODERN TIMES BOB DYLAN COLUMBIA
2 EYES OPEN SNOW PATROL FICTION/POLYDOR
3 EMPIRE KASABIAN COLUMBIA
4 BACK TO BASICS CHRISTINA AGUILERA RCA
5 A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH IRON MAIDEN EMI
6 INSIDE IN/INSIDE OUT KOOKS VIRGIN
7 UNDISCOVERED JAMES MORRISON POLYDOR
8 ORAL FIXATION VOL 2 SHAKIRA EPIC
9 TROUBLE RAY LAMONTAGNE 14TH FLOOR RECORDS
10 A GIRL LIKE ME RIHANNA DEF JAM

Ta Ken
jammymulligan

Dublin

Post by jammymulligan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:12 pm

Unfortunately I wont be in Dublin until Wednesday..any chance of a quick pint before the concert..theres a pub on the way to the Point..the custom house or something? could be there at 6? let me know if that suits anyone
kieron

Post by kieron » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:47 pm

Sounds good Jammy,
What about the Harbour Master in the IFSC.
Might be an easier one to find for everybody.
Only 15 mins walk to the show from there.

Kieron
margaret

Post by margaret » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:57 pm

Diane and I are arriving Wednesday and have booked into the North Star hotel, Amiens Street for 2 nights, (where Tim is also staying.) We won't be able to get together Tuesday or Friday but hope to meet everyone at or after the concerts.

Margaret
jammymulligan

dublin habourmaster pub

Post by jammymulligan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:28 pm

Ok..will be there in the harbourmaster ...have you any contacts in dublin hotels..would be great if we found out where the cast are staying..maybe Bono'll put them up in the Clarence?
Henning

Post by Henning » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:06 pm

What a coincidence ! Robert Fischer from the band "Willard Grant Conspiracy" is playing a show in Dublin on Saturday October 7 at a club called Crawdaddy. I know that most of "our" Dubliners are already gone by that time but those who are still there might want to join me for that special gig. If you just listen to his voice, you might think that Nick Cave is singing.

Check this site for samples:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kc030

See you soon in Dublin !

H.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:27 am

I'm so envious of all of you who are getting excited about this impending concert (which I'm sure will blow your socks off)! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I was just in Dublin nine days ago (for a flying visit) and for those of you who haven't booked a hotel yet, I can recommend the Clifton Court Hotel, which is a centrally located (on the River Liffey, just around the corner from O'Connell Street) budget hotel that I stayed in. It’s fine if you just want somewhere to lay your head and provided you don't mind climbing stairs. In the bar dining area they also serve the most delicious Irish Stew! I'm sure it would be no more than 10 minutes walk from The Point. It only cost me 65 Euros (including breakfast) for the night! :D

Irrespective of what it offers in accommodation terms, the bonus it does have is a young barman (Sean) who is a big Cohen fan! I discovered this because Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah was playing in the bar when I checked it out and I made a comment to Sean, who promptly informed me that he would prefer to hear the man himself sing it! 8) In fact, when I told him about the upcoming tribute concert, he said he would go if it was Leonard performing, but didn't seem too inclined to hear covers. He enthusiastically spoke about LC who he was exposed to through his parents and I suspect they may well attend the show. I can also inform you that Sean is happy to play you any one of the three or so Cohen songs on their jukebox, including LC & Bono’s Tower of Song (off the LC - I’m Your Man movie soundtrack)! :shock: Perhaps you should consider this bar for a "session" afterwards or at some other point - I’m sure Sean would be more than chuffed!

Enjoy the concert – though it's almost superfluous to say this, as I know you will (and someone please say hello to Sean for me)!

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Diane

Post by Diane » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi Andrew, pity you didn't stay another month to catch the concert yourself :) . It's good you are back home safe. It was nice meeting your Aussie self in Berlin; and you did a great job presenting us with that fine open mic talent. I can still remember Shirley singing You're My Man; she was great! as were all the others who stood up to perform. I'll make a note and we will visit the Hotel, ask for Sean and tell him you said Hi. (That's funny, there was a barman at the Bristol event who declared himself a great Cohen fan, too).

Diane
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:45 pm

Thanks Diane - it's nice of you to volunteer to approach Sean! :D He seemed a pleasant guy and was very keen to engage in a Cohen conversation. 8)

One story he related to me was that a couple he knows indirectly went to Hydra to get married and (being fans) visited Cohen's house there, knocking on the door without any particular expectations. Apparently they were not only shocked to have Leonard open the door, but when they told him they were getting married there, he is said to have offered to sing at their wedding! :shock: Now I obviously can't vouch for the veracity of this story, but I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility. :?

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Diane

Post by Diane » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:45 pm

No probs, Andrew. It kind of feels nicely familiar, to be asked to pass on a message to a certain person in Ireland. When travelling in Ireland in the past, we were often told to go to the next town we were heading for and ask for so-and-so and say so-and-so said Hi, which we almost always managed to do.

Sean's story might, just possibly, have a touch of the of blarney about it, but who knows :wink: .

Diane
kieron

Dublin meeting on Wednesday the 4th of October

Post by kieron » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:34 pm

Hi all,
Just to confirm to all expected visitors and residents going to the "Beauty Show" that we are going to meet in the Harbourmaster Bar in Dublin at 18.00 on Wednesday the 4th. The doors open at 19.00 in the Point Theatre, show at 20.00. It will take about 20 mins to walk to the theatre from the Harbourmaster. Click here http://www.harbourmaster.ie/content/trg ... locate.htm for a map to the meet up spot. Food should be good here too for anyone looking to grab a bite before or while we meet up. The Harbourmaster is close to Jurys Inn Custom House and The North Star Hotel for those staying there. Just ask at your hotel reception and they will give directions, it is in the Financial Services Centre. See you all at 18.00.

Kieron
Diane

Post by Diane » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:47 am

Thanks Kieron, see you there :D !

Return to “Other gatherings”