Dublin

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
tsultrim

Dublin

Postby tsultrim » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:52 pm

I am hoping to go to the Dublin Tribute concert, does anyone have any ideas about reasonably close accomodation at a reasonable price?
kieron

Postby kieron » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:34 pm

Hi ts,
The closest budget hotel to the venue (Point Theatre) is the Jurys Inn.
http://www.bookajurysinn.com
The Clarion IFSC is the closest hotel and is excellent if a little pricey.
There will be a post up after the Berliners have returned, probably from Jarkko listing hotel options. Drop me a mail if you have any other questions.
Cya
Kieron
"A terrible beauty is born" WB Yeats.
jammymulligan

Dublin Tribute Concert

Postby jammymulligan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:36 pm

Really looking forward to it...I think Mr Cohen will turn up..I feel it in my water. Would be great if we could have a pint afterwards..anyone interested?
dick

Postby dick » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:18 pm

Linda and I have decided to go -- Will be there Tuesday through Friday -- flight home is Saturday. Got ground floor, row 4 seats for both nights.

Look forward to great music and more good times with fellow Cohenists.

Dick
Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:54 pm

I'll be there from Tuesday afternoon to Friday afternoon, so will see some of you there too!

Can't wait...

Tim
Tim

Re: Dublin

Postby Tim » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:23 am

tsultrim wrote:I am hoping to go to the Dublin Tribute concert, does anyone have any ideas about reasonably close accomodation at a reasonable price?
the North Star hotel is relatively cheap for 3 nights if you book it via expedia (but not any other way as far as I can tell), and looks to be fairly close to the venue. But I know many others have found somewhere else, and I'll let them post details of there.

Tim
margaret

Postby margaret » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:17 pm

Is there a female wanting a room-mate to go to Dublin ?

As yet I haven't booked a flight or concert ticket but will need to do something positive about this very soon. I thought of seeing the Thursday night concert, spending 2 nights in Dublin and flying home on Saturday.

If anyone is interested please p.m. me.

Thanks,
Margaret
Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:32 pm

Margaret, I was just about to post when I saw your post. I booked my flight today, arriving in Dublin Wednesday, leaving Friday early evening. The days I will be there don't coincide with yours :( . I'll email you anyway. I bought a ticket for the Wednesday before the Thursday show was announced, and now I have a ticket for both nights.

jammymulligan said:
I think Mr Cohen will turn up..I feel it in my water. Would be great if we could have a pint afterwards..anyone interested?
Welcome to the forum, Jammy :D . A pint with Leonard? I could be persuaded.

Diane
dick

Postby dick » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:47 pm

The more the merrier! Glad you are coming Diane and Hurry up PLEASE Magaret and confirm!

dick
margaret

Postby margaret » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:13 am

I have now booked a bargain flight to spend 2 nights in Dublin. Diane and I are researching a place to stay, and I have a ticket for each concert :D

We'll be there from around lunchtime Wednesday until Friday evening. Does anyone know where exactly the Point Theatre is situated so I can check out accommodation which is close by? A post code and road name would help.

Margaret
Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:42 am

It's on North Wall Quay - they don't appear to have post codes in Ireland though! but there is a map, and a link to download more detailed instructions, at

http://www.thepointdublin.com/site/spec_location.asp

hope this helps

Tim
Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:29 pm

Looks like the venue is nice and central. I'm so glad you're coming, Margaret.

I look forward to seeing you, Dick. You were one of the people I didn't get to meet properly in Berlin. You are coming a long, long way for beauty. Again. You are a very good advertisement for how good this show must be! I also look forward to seeing everyone else. And as I have a bit of a thing about Ireland (did I mention that :wink: ?), going to this tribute there will be pretty exciting.

I hope you return soon, Kieron with some ideas about where to meet before and/or after the concerts. Keep your eye out here, Jammy. I realise the 'big' get-together will probably be on the Friday, and Margaret and myself and Tim, for three, will have to miss it, but we will surely meet up at other times too.

Cheers,

Diane
dick

Postby dick » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:48 pm

Diane...

You mean I didn't show you my picture of Linda and I with Anjani and Leonard?

Told Esther I showed 190 people the pic and she asked what about the other 30 and I said they must have been tied up talking to someone else.

We too look forward to better intro diane, and to a hug for Margaret whom we missed in berlin.
Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:55 pm

No, Dick, you didn't show me that picture, not yet. I read your report on the front page though. Lucky, lucky you :) .

I don't recall being tied up in Berlin, but I have seen the photos of people doing other unusual things there...

Diane
kieron

Postby kieron » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:17 am

Hi there everybody,
The Jurys Inn Custom House Quay, Clarion IFSC and the Quality Hotel are the closest hotels to the Point Theatre. Myself and Dick estimate booking a restaurant or venue for 20-30 people for Friday evening for a get together. I will give it some thought over the weekend as to where might be best. Somewhere central on Dame Street or Temple Bar would be good, easy for all to find and close to all hotels. Somewhere informal in which we can have a bite and few drinks and swap stories and have a few laughs. The Friday evening seems to be the most logical night as many of us are going to the show both nights. We will obviously meet after the event each night also. Most probably at the hotel that most Beautiful Losers are staying or where ever the cast are??

Details on daytime (and night-time) pursuits can easily be found on the Dublin Tourism website http://www.visitdublin.com/
You will not be bored here, loads to see. The City Tour buses are great to get around to attractions as they drop off and pick up at each one.
Do not miss Kilmainham Jail, a stunning tour and insight into our most recent rebel history.
Trinity College is well worth a visit as is our National Gallery, if only to view Caravaggio's "the taking of Christ" absolutely spellbinding. When in the city I often nip in just to gaze at this masterpiece. I hope it's not on tour when you all arrive. Also plenty of Jack Yeats work to view. Our National Museum is small but also very well worth a visit. At the moment we have the bog preserved men on display, thousands of years old with fascinating detail preserved in the peat bogs.

During your short trip, if you toured these four sites and wandered around Gerogian Dublin lost in your own thoughts and maybe sampled some Guinness in McDaids (Chatham Street) whilst sheltering from the rain and the maddening crowds of Grafton Street, you have done Dublin.
McDaids is where Brendan Behan and Patrick Kavanagh often engaged in verbal assault. I think this is where Behan threw his typewriter at Kavanagh, not sure though.

All sites are located very close to each other except Kilmainham Jail which you will need to get a bus or cab to, short ride only. Do not miss it though, If I have to, I will drive you myself :) , Close to Killmainham is Collins Barracks which is also worth visiting if you have time, its nice to site beside the court yard and imagine the troops on parade sipping coffee. There is a very good museum on Irish life, I think there is a toy exhibition there at the moment so that will no doubt stir a few memories for us all. Envigorate that inner child we all too often forget or unconciously supress.

If anyone has any queries please email me post them here and I will be delighted to help. Next week I promise I will have a place picked that would suit us best to meet on Friday night. If any of the other Irish BL's want to suggest a place to meet on the Friday night please email me.

By the way, for those that fancy a bit of Rugby on the Friday evening, I will be going to the Leinster v Munster (my team) Celtic league game the evening of the 6th in Lansdowne Road which is the oldest rugby stadium in the world and about to be torn down in the new year to make way for a brand new stadium. Kick off at 19.30, over at 21.00, then nip into town to meet up with you guys.

More later

Kieron
"A terrible beauty is born" WB Yeats.

Return to “Other gatherings”