Meeting in London

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
david birkett

Meeting in London

Post by david birkett »

Would anyone be interested in some sort of London (England) gathering. Have there been such already?

David
The Ogre does what ogres can,
Deeds quite impossible for Man,
But one prize is beyond his reach:
The Ogre cannot master speech.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi David,

If you want a meetup: arrange something and they will come :) . That is what Ali and I found last January. I have too much on at the moment to commit to helping to organise something, but I would come along if I could! I get the impression that a few people from the UK would be willing to perform 8) .

Cheers,

Diane
philo

Post by philo »

i would come along too, but would prefer a weekend. am sure there must be many cohenites who would take part in such an event. see you there diane!
life is the school, love is the lesson.
Waiting For Suzanne

Post by Waiting For Suzanne »

i would, i live a bit far from london and dont know it...mmm
- I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
that time cannot decay -

mylitta

Post by mylitta »

I would come- I usually find out about UK events after they have happened! :x
woody

Post by woody »

if anybody ever arranges anything let me know. id come along.
Padma

Post by Padma »

David
Diane and I have been talking about arranging a get together in London for a few months now. I also discussed with Jarkko the possibility of organising something to co-incide with the Glass event at the Barbican in October (I know that's a few months away still). But if there is enough interest, I will happily try and find somewhere where we could all get together - a pub or restaurant - where we can all link up again - and maybe strum a few tunes on the guitars!! Let me know!! By the way, we are not too far from you - in Barnet! So who knows, we might even be able to organise an evening of music locally.

Padma
Paula

Post by Paula »

Padma the Glass weekend would be ideal. Pete and Margaret are also down that weekend.
Padma

Post by Padma »

Great. I am waiting to see if there is enough of a response. Quite a few of our friends in London (who have never been to a Cohen event) are going to the Glass concert and they would love to come to a Cohen get-together. We just need to rally up few more souls and find a venue. There is a really lovely, quite intimate cafe/bar in Camden Town called the Green Note and they often host music events. I am thinking of giving them a call and seeing if we if we could use their venue. Any ideas of when - on the Friday night, Saturday during the day or Sunday?

If there is enough interest, I would love to do something this summer as well.
Padma
margaret

Post by margaret »

I will come to any meeting in October. Can't remember what date the Glass show is, Pete has my ticket! If the show is Saturday night I have a better chance of a cheapish rail ticket travelling down to London on Saturday rather than Friday night, and can return home sometime on Sunday.

Another trip in the summer may be possible too, depending on dates not clashing with a trip to Hydra in June, and the Midlands Music Festival in Ireland at the end of July.

Margaret
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hey, Padma, good to see you on here! I admit that our "discussion" was more like me waiting for you to tell me when you were organising something. It seems that there might be plenty enough LC people around the South East for you to have a regular get-together.

It will be great if you can sort out something for the Barbican weekend. As well as Paula, Pete and Margaret, there's Ken, Gift and his wife, Linda and John, and no doubt a few others, coming along. I would take a guess that David is going. David? What about you Phil? - be great to see you there! It would be excellent to also meet Woody, Mylitta, Waiting for Suzanne, and whoever else can make it!

You can already put Pete's name down as part of the entertainment. I know there are also other musicians on here whose arms we might be able to twist.

Thanks Padma!

Diane

The Philip Glass Book of Longing production is on Saturday October 20th, you can book here:

https://www.barbican.org.uk/music/series.asp?id=390
Last edited by Diane on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I could probably make an October meet on the Friday or Saturday of that weekend. Would be interested in a summer one too, but have a few prior commitments already.

Tim
david birkett

GLASS MEET-UP

Post by david birkett »

Dear UK Cohen tribe

I've just booked my ticket, and can definitely commit to a gathering / meal on the same evening.

David
The Ogre does what ogres can,
Deeds quite impossible for Man,
But one prize is beyond his reach:
The Ogre cannot master speech.
Padma

Post by Padma »

I'll get on the case.....!! It would be lovely to do something before October and maybe before the Hydra trip. I'll give the Green Note a call next week and see if they will let us book it for an evening. If not, I could possibly do the event at home but we live on the outskirts of London (at the end of the Northern line) - which may not be very accessible for those travelling by train (but for those coming by car, we are not far from the the M25 J23 and A1).

Padma
Diane

Post by Diane »

Padma and I have had a chat and are thinking along the lines of finding a suitable venue for the day in London on the Saturday, 20th October, as the main focus of the weekend aside from the concert. Padma is on the case, and is also in touch with Jarkko about it. Watch this space.

To make things clearer for people looking here for the first time:
20 October 2007 / 19:30
Barbican Hall, London

Philip Glass Book of Longing

A special evening of newly commissioned work based on the poetry of Leonard Cohen. Conceived by Philip Glass over 6 years ago after Cohen himself read him most of the writings now published as Book of Longing, this music is the culmination of the mutual admiration between two of America’s most celebrated and uncompromising artists. Glass sets Cohen’s deeply personal and provocative words to a new score, performing with a new ensemble of singers and musicians.

Pre-concert talk 6.00pm

Book your tickets:

https://www.barbican.org.uk/music/series.asp?id=390

Return to “Other gatherings”