Adelaide LC Event: September 2012 -- Expressions of Interest

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
dce

Adelaide LC Event: September 2012 -- Expressions of Interest

Post by dce »

Hi All,

As a result of discussions with other folks here on the forum, there are plans afoot right now to organise some kind of event in Adelaide (South Australia) on the weekend of 15 September, to celebrate Leonard's birthday with a meeting of like-minded fans and friends. Earlier this year a spectactularly successful Adelaide gathering of fans was organised by AlanM -- we would be aiming to make this gathering similarly casual and fun to be of interest to fans both new and old.

The format for the celebration would depend a lot on the number of folks who are interested in attending, and whether they will be travelling to Adelaide for the event. We've already confirmed at least one out-of-town attendee ... so opportunities for expanding this into a multi-day weekend of Cohen-related events in and around Adelaide is being seriously considered (perhaps a pilgrimage to the winery where Leonard played a stunning Australia Day show in 2009?).

What we are after at present is expressions of interest from forum members. If you think you might be interested in coming to a gathering in Adelaide on the weekend of 15 September, to meet fellow fans and celebrate Leonard's life and music please drop me a PM, or simply reply to this forum thread. Non-Adelaide folks are more than welcome ...

Given that us Aussie fans will certainly *not* be getting a visit from LC in 2012, this event (and probably the Toowoomba LC Event held around the same time) will be the main opportunities to get together with other fans and share your appreciation of LC's songs and words for the forseeable future. If that's not an excuse to come celebrate some "Old Ideas" with some "new friends," I don't know what is ... :-)

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
marieski

Re: Adelaide LC Event: September 2012 -- Expressions of Inte

Post by marieski »

Hi Dean
Yes I would love to attend a get-together on September 15 weekend to celebrate our mutual admiration for Leonard Cohen.
I would be happy to be kept informed of this event and would like to come. I am a friend of Alan and Karin Mawhinney.
Many thanks in anticipation
Marie Nitschke
North Adelaide
dce

Post by dce »

marieski wrote:Hi Dean
Yes I would love to attend a get-together on September 15 weekend to celebrate our mutual admiration for Leonard Cohen.
I would be happy to be kept informed of this event and would like to come. I am a friend of Alan and Karin Mawhinney.
Hey Marie ... that's great. I am sure that Alan will be getting in touch with his own network of Adelaide-based fans to invite them all along too, so you should already know plenty of folks :-)

Dean
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
mat james

Post by mat james »

Great idea Dean,
I am a "likely attendee" as I will be traveling through Adelaide about that time.

Thanks for the opportunity to celebrate Leonard; and it would be fun to mix with some Cohenites again.

Mat J.
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.

Return to “Other gatherings”