Meetup close to Ghent - Saturday, August 20 2011

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Maarten

Meetup close to Ghent - Saturday, August 20 2011

Post by Maarten »

Hi all,
Here's the idea: I'd like to meet up with some of you to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the 3 Ghent concerts. Meetup place would be Sint-Niklaas (my home town) where we can have a little screening of some Leonard Cohen stuff, have something to eat together and stay up late! :-) Nothing is final yet, so any suggestions are more than welcome. The screening would take place close to my house (walking distance), so we could meet up at my home if we don't have 100 participants!

If you're traveling far, you can always find a cheap, good hotel (Ibis) at the town center or email me for other ideas/plans. I can be your host for the weekend if you want to stay in Sint-Niklaas, or you can visit Ghent or Bruges before or after.

I will be away from this Saturday (July 16) upto Saturday July 23 at least, so I'm not sure how quickly I can respond to any questions but feel free to use this thread as you wish or email me!
If you plan to join us, let me know so I can make nametags :-) (just kidding!)

Take care,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
liverpoolken

Re: Meetup In Ghent - Saturday, August 20 2011

Post by liverpoolken »

Maarten wrote: and stay up late
Maarten
...steady on there maarten......this is sint-niklaas you are talkin' about

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

The city Famous for the most prestigious Beer Festival in the world (well, the Benelux anyway)... :-)
(and you're more than welcome to sleep in the childrens' bedroom, Ken!)

M

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

(no, I haven't sold one yet, too expensive for most people... You hardly find such collectors pieces anymore these days: well mannered, Belgian, happy kids. That's why they're so expensive...)

liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

maarten
...i thought i had told you that i have been warned off from buying belgian children...i was told all they do is sit in their bedrooms all day long eating very expensive chocolate whilst watching tin tin cartoons and playing old jacques brel vinyl records on wind up gramophone players.....

...don't forget you and your city fathers are pulling down the beautiful old hall that use to hold the biggest beer festival in the benelux countries....thereby destroying the only thing that sint-niklass was ever famous for.....

...and seriously if you are planning a late night party in sint-niklaas surely this deserves to be the forum news section if not the belgian national press...and for god's sake don't let those city fathers know about your planned
late night party otherwise they will pull wherever you are planning to have it down ....

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Laura

Re: Meetup close to Ghent - Saturday, August 20 2011

Post by Laura »

Don't know how Sint-Niklaas is, but I remember the Bruges concert in 2008... my first Cohen concert... and desperately wandering the streets of at least half of the city afterwards, with a large group of cohenites (that kept getting lost on the way), trying to find a place that was still OPEN!

Laura
Laura

Post by Laura »

And, Maarten, I think at 4 in the morning you are supposed either to be asleep or sing Famous Blue Raincoat. Which one are you doing here?!

Laura
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

hello maarten

1/ nice idea, i'll try to join the "party", will know more in a few days.
2/ most prestigious Beer Festival in the world (well, the Benelux anyway)..." : talking about beer, the benelux < the world,
3/ if i can join you or not, i'll bring/send along some of our local beer : pannepot, panneschum and i have some oak aged rodenbach 2008, that i keep for special occasions, such as this.
4/ perhaps you could arrange things with LC managment, so that we could have a kind of meeting in odd years, in sint niklaas, and a LC concert in gent, in the even years ? it would make things easier , for everyone, not in the least for mr. Cohen himself.

pe

anna calvi sings joan of arc, on arte-tv, at this moment : great performance, great voice
... precisely ...
surrender

Post by surrender »

Hi Maarten,

thanks for the invitation to St.Niklaas!
It will be a pleasure to see you and other Cohenites again.

I hope that nothing more will happen to stop us... After I've successfully cancelled one appointment and rescheduled our agenda, I 've broken my wrist yesterday...(P. will have to drive.)

See you soon!

Jarmila & Peter
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
Caren

Post by Caren »

Have a great day and very late (!!!) evening everyone !
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam

Return to “Other gatherings”