LC 70th birthday celebration: Brief Toowoomba Report

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Andrew (Darby)

LC 70th birthday celebration: Brief Toowoomba Report

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:32 pm

Well, it's over by 24 hours now, but the after-glow is still with me! :D

Yes, in overall terms, we probably had our most enjoyable celebration ever this year - and what a year to achieve this! :) Our new (main) venue was acoustically superb and full of atmosphere, each of the three sessions were special in their own way and all five musical performers made a unique and wonderful contribution! Numbers were still not quite up to expectations - anyway, this didn't dampen enthusiasm and from the plentiful feedback I received, those who were there had an enjoyable and memorable time! :D

It was a particular privilege for me to, not only meet our own talented 'witty_owl', but have him do his special from-the-heart tribute song to Leonard (The Poet Of Rock n Roll) in a style that is entirely consistent with that of our man being honoured! It was also fantastic to have three other new performers (Michael, Tim & Emma) at our event for the first time - and all such gifted musicians, to boot! 8)

I will do a more detailed report (with photos) for the Leonard Cohen Files, in the near future.

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:49 pm

I'm looking forward to your report and photos, Andrew :D . I would also love to hear Witty Owl's song for Leonard 8) .
RC

Toowoomba event

Postby RC » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:50 am

:D :D :D :D
Best yet!

Thanks Andrew for organising this event.
The evening was fantastic. Great performers / some mesmerising renditions of some of my personal favourites.

Nice relaxing lunch the day after; eating Italian cuisine and drinking Australian Beer while sitting in a German resturant listening to French Canadian music!

Cheers

:) :)
Richard
Australia
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:22 pm

Thanks Richard - it's nice to know that the effort to organise this event has paid its dividends for not only yourself, but I believe everyone who made the reciprocal effort to be there! :D You're 1500 km round trip and the costs incurred by you and your family to be with us most years will always be greatly appreciated! 8)

Andrew (Darby)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:03 pm

How odd, Richard! I had already told you once that your day-after lunch sounds like the perfect combination :D ! However, that message is nowhere to be seen :shock: :? ! You really came a long way at high cost to join in ~ kudos!

Andrew ~ It sounds like your hard work pays off and carries over from year to year :D !

~ Lizzy
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:17 pm

lizzytysh wrote: Andrew ~ It sounds like your hard work pays off and carries over from year to year :D !
~ Lizzy
I like to think so - it certainly did this year! :D

Andrew (Darby)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
witty_owl

Postby witty_owl » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:07 am

Apologies to all for not posting any earlier but I do not have internet at home for the time being due to windows problems. (I am at present using library system) Yes the Toowoomba event was worth the 2,000 Km journey and we were able to hear some interesting and varied interpretations of Leonard's songs. At some time in the future I plan to deliver a more detailed report but here are some dominant memories.
Though I was not entirely satisfied with my own performance (rehearsals were better) I heard some pleasing performances by others. Tim played a hand made Australian guitar of exceptional quality and with Emma played some unexpected arrangements. Emma accompanied mostly on viola with vocal harmony and on one song with a banjo. John's acoustic performances were strong and passionate as were his later renditions with electric guitar. I was particularly impressed with Michael's performance with nylon acoustic very close to Leonard's own style of playing. Michael's vocals however were very gentle and relaxed; almost mesmerising and meditative and brought a unique delivery of these earlier songs. Out of time for now- more later.
Thanks to Andrew for his efforts to co-ordinate the event.
Cheers, Witty Owl.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:18 am

Witty Owl :D ! Great to see you 8) ~ Have you gotten and listened to "Dear Heather" yet?

Return to “Other gatherings”