Reviews from Barcelona

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
simonelimone

Postby simonelimone » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:18 pm

No dear lizzy, this was my dear frien tomkri from italy (check HYDRA MEETUP IN 2005; page 2). He mentionned me in his quote, but he would be quite disappointed, if you didn't remember him... :?

dear lizzy, hope you are not going to be blown away by jeanne, take care!!! :shock:
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:45 am

Hi Simon ~

Tomkri, eh? Oh dear, maybe that's how I got it turned around, with his mentioning you. Well, I didn't forget the exchange. It's kinda like remembering a face, but forgetting the name. It's more important that you remember the person [the face/the exchange] than the particular combination of letters that attach to them [this is not to discount the importance of a person's name, of course :D ]. Thanks for looking it up for me :lol: . That was going to be a 'tonite' project.

Yes, Jeanne ~ ahhh, what's another HURRICANE :shock: !?! Well, we got off work 2 hours early today, and may have Monday off. They've now implemented some technology where we all have a number to call after 5:30 PM on Sunday, re: showing up in the AM; and then periodically throughout the day on Monday, presumably regarding Tuesday.

The stats at this point are hurricane watch from Florida City north to St. Augustine. [A tornado warning until later tonight for Jacksonville area ~ bad weather always surrounds those hurricanes]. She's a Category 2 [winds of 100 mph], but barometric pressure has lowered and she's about to encounter warm water, both of which lend to strengthening, so she could end up a Category 3. Her forward speed has increased from 9 mph to 12 mph, so she may make landfall Saturday night, early Sunday, instead of Sunday night, early Monday.

My guess is that we'll get wind and rain. Who knows how much of either. One 'danger' is that building structures, trees, and ground are already compromised from all the wind and rain that have preceded, so there resistance won't be as good as it normally would be. They were talking about that on the radio today. They're telling us to take this all seriously, so I am ~ even though I've been very fortunate so far. However, I just removed the last of the tape from my windows day before yesterday :( ! Now, I've gotta go and re-do the whole nine yards tomorrow. I refuse to start tonite.

Thanks for your well wishing on my welfare :D .

~ Lizzy :D

Good heavens :shock: ~ they're predicting Jeanne to possibly increase to a Category 4, even. It would appear that I would be in the path of hurricane-force winds, regardless of what category she ends up by the time she reaches this vicinity. They're certainly telling people 50 miles from me to evacuate. Fifty miles isn't that far when it comes to winds. Even tropical-storm-force winds [like the ones that recently came through with Frances] can do [and did] serious damage. They're even mentioning my county in the reports :shock: .

However, I'll be remaining. I still have both my hard hats. I'll be putting some of my cats in their virtual ones [cages] and be spending, probably, tonite through the AM in the bathroom [the innermost location of my house] and praying that none of those large Live Oak trees surrounding my house come down into it. I'll unplug my computer and cover it with plastic, garbage bags [no wonder I was such a stubborn one at the Event's scavenger hunt, eh, Lightning :lol: ?] when the wind really starts. The way the media is addressing this here, inside the state, is not in any remotely dismissive manner. It's looking like no-workday on Monday.

I'm wondering how the other people from Florida, who attended the New York Event, have fared through these storms.
citizen

Postby citizen » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:57 pm

Hi!!!! Sorry.I couldn´t write before because this week I had a lot of work.It was a little/great celebration - a great event as Leonard would say- Jorxc, Foryoursmile and SimoneLimone are very nice guys.With them and the Leonard´s poems and songs beer has a new taste. And heart can see light at the end of the corridor.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:12 pm

Well, there we go. Category 3, and still strengthening, possibility of increasing to Category 4. Forward speed is 14 mph. This morning began as another one of those pre-hurricane, gloriously beautiful days, with bright blue sky and equally-bright sunshine; huge, white, fluffy clouds and a wonderful, gentle breeze. Then, the wind picked up, and the lower portions of the clouds began to gray. Now, the sky and clouds are both gray, the wind is becoming higher, and it's beginning to periodically rain. Tornadoes will be rampant. Huge amounts of tape are finding their way around my house. My car is rather odd looking. They've assured us that there will be extensive loss of electricity, for extended periods of time. It'll be pretty obvious here when that point occurs :wink: . It was 5 days for me with Frances. We'll see what it is this time. We'll see what all of it is this time. Feeling a little tense, as the path is rather direct :? . It can always veer, of course :D. Meanwhile, the weather is deteriorating, as promised; with the pre-storm storms beginning, and my county is under a tornado warning until midnight. It's now [as of this edit :wink: ] 6:10 PM. I hope the worst of this storm doesn't come at night. There's something particularly frightful about not being able to see what's happening. Of course, lightning that may accompany could illuminate all that's necessary :? .

My cats are being 'spooky,' too. One went out and sat in the middle of the road. Never does that. Always comes when called. Just sat there, despite continuous calling. After awhile, when he did decide to come, he came slowly and hesitantly [unlike his norm], sniffing here and there, as he did. Oh, his name is Leonard/Leo for short. Recently acquired, as he appeared and slowly made this his home. My dog has remained in his doghouse Igloo all day, rain or no rain. Another of my cats just stood on some shelves outside on my porch, meowing [like a stress meow], but not coming, despite calling ~ also not her norm. I had to pick her up and bring her in. Another one [there's always one :? :( !] hasn't appeared ~ despite dinner being served. Still another one keeps going in and out. Out when I go to call Leo and another out from under the car, where they settled in after dinner [and now, neither, who normally will ~ won't come to being called], and back In, when I go back out to call the other two again. The pattern has been repeating itself for probably 15 times each direction. I want to close everyone [hopefully safely] in the house, but the one who has yet to be seen is the hold-out. The other two will come in when it gets really bad. Or, so I hope :shock: !

Animals always seem to know when something's awry. It may be their sixth sense, or it may be something like what I once read, that they sense the drop in barometric pressure, which they also must associate with storms.

Well, drat! My county's in the "Red" zone ~ the High Risk to Live and Properties tonight. Tomorrow afternoon, we may be experiencing hurricane conditions. That doesn't sound good :? . If she's gonna veer, she'd better start soon. Her eye is just about onland in South Florida. [Don't mind me......this 'talking' here eases some anxiety :) . Might as well as long as I've got electricity. I'll be long enough without it. I'm not one to talk on the phone during storms, so even if my land line doesn't go, I probably won't be using the phone tomorrow.] According to the map and forecast, we're supposed to have 80-100 mph wind gusts tonite. It's so muggy right now that, even though there's some wind/breeze [depending on when], you can hardly breathe the air [it's almost like there is none].

Well, morning now ~ Category 1 crossing Florida. Made it through the dark and windy night....still have light . It promises to worsen in both wind and rain and loss of electricity. 85 mph winds begin to sound relatively minor. Storms are always scarier when they come at night. The wind is higher now, but I can clearly see what's happening ~ so that element of the unknown is minimized, as much as could be expected for high winds. However, things are still supposed to worsen as the "still very dangerous storm" turns more northwest. Loss of electricity and downed trees are expected. My cats keep wanting to go outside, but pretty much stick to the porch. I took my dog outside to feed him, so he could be complete in the process :wink: . He's eaten and ready to come back in, but I don't think it's been long enough. The heavy, pouring rains from the night have lessened to sprinkling or regular rain. He probably would have done fine staying out last night, but I'm not taking those chances. The winds will increase more later. While I was outside to feed and water Andre, wearing my hard hat, a huge gust of wind came up and sent me getting to the porch as quickly as I could. It was the kind that can bring limbs down.

Well, 11:30 AM on Sunday. Voluntary Evacuations have been given for my county. Naming of schools, that I know locally, as shelters. Conditions were supposed to worsen starting around noon. I guess the change in Jeanne's track hasn't altered that too significantly. Time to bring Andre back in. Hope my house is strong enough to hold up to repeated, high winds and/or falling trees.

Some of my cats, in particular, Taylor, Tony, and Leo [Pooh, somewhat] are really fascinated by this weather. They keep wanting to go out and sit on the porch to watch and feel it :shock: . Like facing danger head-on. Or, maybe their animal instincts kicking in ~ assess the danger and act, take shelter in some natural environs. The others couldn't care less, and are perfectly happy to stay inside and not even look out. My 'missing' one was in place for breakfast this morning :D ~ so was immediately swooped into the back room, closed off from the outside now.

Weather conditions "will be slow to improve, later today" ~ now that's a good sign :D ! Oh dear. Tony's disappeared. Pushed past me to get outside, and then bolted off the porch with a gust of wind, and a look of anxiety. After multiple callings, I circled the house in my hard hat and neither saw nor heard him. I know they have instinctive ways of dealing with these things, but still......I'm concerned.

Tony retrieved. Discovered under the house, brought forth by coaxing with cat food. Looking pretty stunned at the moment. The storm seems to be more than he bargained for; the real heavy gusts and howls of wind unexpected. All's well now. Everyone inside.

Carport 'overhead' just did some serious flapping about. We'll see.

Lights flickering more often and for longer periods. Electricity will probably go fairly soon, but maybe we'll be spared. Evacuations have been Ordered for my county for people living in mobile homes, manufactured housing, and low-lying areas. I don't, but hope mine will withstand the winds. Jeanne has downgraded to a tropical storm. The winds continue and the rain's accumulating; but, perhaps, she'll have downgraded even more by the time her eye gets nearby.

I can't get Diana [named after Princess Diana] out from under the washing machine, but at least she's beneath a heavy piece of equipment. Maybe she'll give in to the food later.

8:30 PM and the wind is still blowing and twisting some branches about. The rain has lessened. The wind is supposed to start subsiding after midnight. Of course, we're back in that strange zone of wind in the darkness. It still looks like I've probably made it through this one unscathed. I'm so blessed; and so pleased that, despite its many drawbacks, I live this far inland [from both sides of the state], and did not choose to live near the water or closer to the coast.

Well, Monday morning ~ earlier ~ The sky typically post-storm gray, the air cool and fresh, the sun's light getting larger and brighter from behind one of the undistinctive clouds. Feels good. Surveying the damage, there's barely any. Some of Nature's natural pruning. A few big, but not really 'large,' and certainly not huge, branches down. Some of the trees' debris in the yard. Okay, one door off an outdoor enclosure. An empty, cardboard box, inside my car [completely 'sealed' with masking tape, at the doors, trunk, and window edges], hoisted by the wind to being wedged between the top of the front seat and the inside roof :shock: . That's it. Thank G~d, that's it. Made it through. Some didn't. Reportedly six people are dead. One, a 15-year-old boy, crushed beneath a fallen tree. His friend, also a teenager, was there too, but survived and is hospitalized. Very sad. One person electrocuted, post-storm. No details yet on the other people.

My immediate area spared again. Though one road away, the one you're on by rounding the corner has trees down across it, and the telephone pole, too [my delay in getting here]. That's it. The 4th hurricane :shock: to hit Florida within 6 weeks :shock: ~ Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne ~ what a quartet you've made. I'm ready for a different tune.

Past noon ~ Full, bright sunshine; clear, blue sky; fluffy, white clouds; warm air; and a beautiful breeze :D 8) :D ~ now. Grateful for today :D . Looking forward to tomorrow :D . Grief-stricken families, planning funerals. Glad to be alive.

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ForYourSmile

Postby ForYourSmile » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:09 pm

Hi all! :lol:

I join me to the idea of an event in Granada - some time ago Tonyo proposed it here (regards) :wink: . It's one of the most beautiful places that I know. (I am Catalan but this does not prevent me from loving the wonderful places of Spain.)

Granada has "duende", this is something like magic, a feeling that caught, for example, Washington Irving, Clinton and Cohen across Lorca. All of us, if Cohen is a religion, we must peregrinate once in the life to Granada. :D

Simon - If we come for "paella" or "turron" to Alicante or a trip to Hydra, for sure I will write to you before. ¡Hasta siempre amigo! 8)

Jordi ~ Gisela asks me if you have the music of Famous Blue Raincoat in a file format to play in guitar.

Before he sang it, Jorcx said that it's one of his favorite. That magnificent song! One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong

An Eskimo showed me a movie
he'd recently taken of you:
the poor man could hardly stop shivering,
his lips and his fingers were blue.

Elisa Myth, we speak of you.

The chat was not exactly like I reminded it, I'm sorry, Simon, I left myself to go for this song.

We speak about you, like a lot of people of this forum, I think. Your posts, your warm welcomes to everyone... I believe that many of us feel fondness for you and, someone, admiration.

One Of Us ... the last song of the first disc ends with: "O please let me come into the storm". Sorry, really I can't go.

I have seen images of Jeanne, the last one of this procession. Take it easy, it will pass. "Just holding the fort". Look after yourself and after your cats - specially for the poor Tony. :lol:
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:51 pm

Thank you very much, ForYourSmile :D . I appreciate your compliments very much :D . I'm rather 'blown away' [not hurricane style :wink: ] by your comments :wink: :lol: . I laughed at your "just holding the fort" :lol: ! ~ Soooo truuuuue :lol: ! Now that you've posted, I can respond to Tonyo. I was waiting till the hurricane had fully passed, or someone else posted [trying to avoid those Edit lines that I so dislike, because I've been using my posting as a running journal to keep]. It's much better than writing it, as I type faster; and I can continue to check Jeanne's progress across/up/wherever the state. Thanks on my cats and Tony. Tony's inside with the others [all except one, whom I've yet to coax out from under the washing machine], in cages in the bathroom. I know you understand my concern on him :) . I'll keep posting there, and the Edit lines will just have to add up. Oh well :wink: . However, the lights keep flickering, more often and for longer periods of flicker, so I may not be writing here much more today. Granada sounds grande 8) !
With them and the Leonard´s poems and songs beer has a new taste. And heart can see light at the end of the corridor.
This captures a very good scene, Tonyo. I know what you mean about even beer having a new taste with the experience. It's amazing how Leonard's songs and poems are so transforming to the ambience of a place or an occasion. And the heart ~ seeing the light. The gathering was obviously a rich one for you 8) :D .

~ Lizzy

Ha ~ had just clicked "Submit" [for the Edit I added on my long posting] and the electricity went out [for about 45 seconds ~ a long time when you're wondering if it'll be coming back on :shock: ~ I had to restart my computer]. So, it looks like it's only a matter of time before I'll be sitting in the dark ~ for who knows how long [it was at least 5 days last time :( ]. The wind gusts just keep coming, and that's what takes down the lines. We'll see :) . For those who were Ordered to evacuate here, they're telling them if you haven't done it yet, to stay put ~ do not get on the roads. Too much wind and fallen trees on the roads.
ForYourSmile

Postby ForYourSmile » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:46 pm

Celebrating the First Anniversary of the Seventy Birthday.

A few friends, that we live one year ago that unforgettable party - concert in Barcelona in tribute to 70 Leonard Cohen's anniversary organized by Jordi, we have decided to meet again. 8)

We will be in Can Guitarretes (Rambla del Prat, in front Bosque cinemas) Barcelona, on September 21 at 21. It is a charming place where is allowed to take a guitar and sing. We have the hope that JORCX sings to us some of his covers. :lol:

Along this year we have meet several times, one of them came again simonelimone from Alicante. We talk and drink in Leonard's tribute. A good bunch of people that we knew thanks to this forum.

If someone wants to join to us will be welcome :wink:
ForYourSmile

Postby ForYourSmile » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:52 pm

Our way of congratulating Leonard was this small meeting of six friends. I do not know another better way of celebrating it, sung his songs. (Some better than others). For me it was a special and exciting moment that of Famous Blue Raincoat. :wink:

Return to “Other gatherings”