Southern California "SoCal" Gathering of LC forum fans

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
bridger15

Southern California "SoCal" Gathering of LC forum fans

Post by bridger15 »

Judy Scott (Jazz4111) and I met at "Shanghai Red's Restaurant" in Marina del Rey on Saturday for a wonderful champagne brunch to kick off the first Southern California "SoCal" Gathering of LC forum fans. Gazing upon the beautiful view of Marina del Rey, we talked about many things including of course, Leonard Cohen. Our brunch lasted almost three hours. (Hey, they kept refilling our champagne glasses :D ) We also took a stroll on the quaint boardwalk of "Fisherman's Village" and enjoyed sightings of white herons, pelicans and a seal. Ah, this is the life!

We plan to organize more gatherings in the SoCal area in the future but not until after the Perla Batalla concert on Saturday, May 8 in San Pedro (LA Harbour area). viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21263

---Arlene

Judy and Arlene in Marina Del Rey

View from the restaurant

Las Vegas meetup: Judy is the lady with a scarf on the far right.
(MaryB)
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
lizzytysh

Re: Southern California "SoCal" Gathering of LC forum fans

Post by lizzytysh »

My day is still coming to spend some time with Judy. I'm glad you were able to, Arlene, and it sounds like you had a wonderful three hours together. You're both very lovely, caring women.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Judy & Arlene at the Getty Museum in LA

Last week, the second annual get together of the SoCal friends of Leonard Cohen took place at the magnificent Richard Meier designed Getty Museum in Brentwood (Los Angeles).

Just like last year's inaugural lunch, the two attendees were Judy Scott (Jazz4111) and myself.

While waiting for our table, we spent time with another pair on the terrace overlooking the beautiful Sullivan Canyon of the Santa Monica Mountains.
Our delightful companions were Jonathan and Tessa who hailed from London, England.
They told us they were on a trip and wanted to visit the Getty Museum.
We told them about the basis for our meeting and asked if they were familiar with "Leonard Cohen"?

"Yes, I am", Jonathan responded, "I know his songs".
Aha, I wasn't sure if this was just bravado, so I challeneged him to choose a song to sing.
By golly, he started singing "So Long Marianne".

Judy, Jonathan &Tessa

Jonathan told us he was at a Leonard Cohen concert at the London O2.
Judy informed him that was the concert that was captured for the "Live In Londodn DVD and CD".

Over lunch, Judy and I spent almost three hours talking about things like the final Las Vegas concerts -we never ran into each other there, as was a problem with many people. We also talked about Judy's comments on the forum thread, *1960 Photos Of Leonard Cohen, Marianne, Axel Jensen On Hydra* viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24881#p264650

We "closed" the restaurant, long past the official closing time. They were kind enough to let us linger and chat.
Judy's "chocolate dessert martini" helped.

We had such a great time discussing all things "Cohen" for almost three hours, we decided to up the frequency of our gatherings.

---Arlene
Last edited by bridger15 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Wish I lived closer... that's all I can say... along with being happy that you two had such an enjoyable time together :D 8) :D . It sounds like it was delightful. Maybe some other year, I'll be in the area at the right time of year :) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles »

I'm very envious, ( I just lit a thin green candle ) it sound like a beautiful day. :)

Return to “Other gatherings”