Liverpool Meetup January 8-10, 2010

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
daveeliver

Liverpool Meetup January 8-10, 2010

Post by daveeliver »

Hi all,

It was intended to organise a weekend for Cohenites in Liverpool on the 8th, 9th 10th January, similar to the successful meetup that was organised in Dublin recently. The idea was that we could compensate for not being able to see Leonard in 2010 by listening to Cohen style music, swapping stories and having a bit of fun in Liverpool. Mountain climbing was not on the agenda.....

Jarkko’s announcement has changed this slightly and I know that many people have booked tickets for concerts in France or Zagreb, or are trying to find the money for a late ticket or trip. I’m off to Marseille and looking forward to it.

However I know a number of people are still coming to Liverpool that weekend, and if enough people show an interest, activities will be organised throughout the weekend. Live music, chat etc will be the theme of Sunday night whatever happens, but other ideas are.... the Beatles museum ,the Magical Mystery Tour, there are many museums and art galleries within walking distance of the city centre and we even have our very own Tate Gallery. For fun you could try the yellow duck-marine , The Ferry 'cross the Mersey , our famous cathedrals, The Liverpool Philharmonic or even a Ghost Walk .Chester city wall walks are another option.

Liverpool is also the place to be for shopping and early January is sale time. We also have a newly built shopping centre (Liverpool1) and so many places to eat. I won’t mention the pubs.........or real ale, and on Sunday afternoon Liverpool are playing Tottenham. Those who came to Liverpool for the concert and after the Barmouth trip enjoyed the city and a good time is guaranteed.

Let me know if there is any interest ( no commitment required) and if there is, a few of the northwest based members will put together a complete programme.

Hotel rooms at The Central Travelodge are £35 for the Friday, £90 Saturday and £35 for the Sunday, but I’m sure cheaper alternatives can be found.

Hope to see a good crowd, it will stop me thinking about Christmas!
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Henning

Re: Liverpool Meetup January 8-10, 2010

Post by Henning »

Hi Dave - that sounds great. Count me in and I will bring two more of those Germans. Did you inform Ken about this event ? I know he is a "Sensibelchen" as we say in Germany and he easily gets confused when he is not involved in the plannings of such a meetup in his very own city. I can't wait to be at Anfield on Sunday. I am sure you meant that there are songs and laughters especially on the Saturday evening. Hooray to this.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Paula

Post by Paula »

Dave I will try and get there.

What was Jarkko’s announcement that changed it slightly? This board moves at a pace of knots now I struggle to keep up with everything.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
mylitta

Post by mylitta »

I will try also- my daughter visited Liverpool last year and said it was great. i haven't been there since.... I think it was 1974. I think there may have been a few changes since then!
Paula

Post by Paula »

I think I will have to opt out there is no cheap accomodation at all. Megan even suggested a cheap dive called Forumula 1 but that has no vacancies obviously Liverpool has a crowd coming that weekend.

The Travellodge has gone up from £35 to £70.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Henning

Post by Henning »

Hi Paula

we have booked Eleanor Rigby Hotel with www.liverpoolhotels.com and packed three family members in a family room and ended up with 35 pounds per person per night. Aren't we all one big family ? Maybe you can connect with some Forum sisters or brothers and do the same :-) You HAVE to be there.

H.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Paula

Post by Paula »

I have booked with the Travel Lodge instead of opting for a three day stay I did one day at a time and saved money.

£35 for a family room for three people, Henning can't you changed to the Travel Lodge that would work out £12 each!!!

See you then
Heike

Post by Heike »

Hi Dave,

I would love to join you for the meetup, but you managed to pick the one weekend in January when I already have other commitments...
Have a wonderful time everyone, and hope to see some of you in Strasbourg :D !

Be well,
Heike
linmag

Post by linmag »

Hi Dave, You have managed to pick the one weekend for which we currently have a definite commitment for the whole of next year! One of our friends and his mum are celebrating their combined 130th birthday that weekend (his 50th, her 80th), so we will be hitting the high spots of Nottingham.

All the best to everyone. Hope you have a wonderful time.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
trish

Post by trish »

Dave, can you organise tickets to the Liverpool v Tottenham game also? ;-)
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Hi Dave

Sorry I wont be able to make it to Liverpool for your meetup in January. I will be in Italy to ring in the New Year and only home from there a couple of days when your meet up occurs.

I am sure it will be fantastic and I will be there in spirit and sure don't we have Cracow to look forward to next August. :) :)

If you have half the fun we had in Barmouth, I know I will be missing a great time but absence makes the heart grow fonder :) :)
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Hi All,
Just a quick note, it’s been a difficult week with my mum in hospital, car problems, and Liverpool still refusing to win.
It looks as if there will be at least 20 people in Liverpool over the weekend of the 8th.9th,10th of January.
It was tempting to change the dates to a bit later in January, but it was never going to be easy to suit everybody and because of Leonards dates in France and Slovenia a smaller hello weekend is probably better.
Campanile hotels are having a sale and rooms at the Liverpool Campanile are only £25 for the Sunday night

http://webbooking.louvre-hotels.fr/defa ... CA&l=en-GB

Henning.. I’m not sure whether you’ll be welcome at Anfield after what has happened since your and Christof’s last visit

Mylitta..hope you can make it.Liverpool has changed but is fun

Paula.. The Travelodge is fine. Opposite the Ship and Mitre and round the corner from Mathew Street and the museums. Formula one is cheap but

Heike, Linda,John,Bernie, wish you were there and for Bernie, a link to a nice article about Will Oldham

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/no ... k-and-roll

Trish.. no Liverpool tickets promised, but...

I’ll get in touch with a few others soon, and they will obviously have other ideas,but I imagine Friday evening could just be a normal evening with a meal,music and a few drinks,

Saturday, sightseeing,Beatle tours. shopping,music etc

Sunday ...lunch, football ,followed by live music in one of our renowned hostelries

Basic accomodation( sleeping bags and mattresses,maybe even a bed) might be available for the brave.

All details will be finalised after talking with others,
Looking forward to January, it will mean Christmas has gone
Dave
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Henning

Forget all that football and Beatles crap I will be taking you on a very special trail around Liverpool on Saturday 10th. January

http://www.gopenguins.co.uk/site/

followed by a ride

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -25218644/

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/ente ... _page.html

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
trish

Post by trish »

liverpoolken wrote:Henning

Forget all that football and Beatles crap I will be taking you on a very special trail around Liverpool on Saturday 10th. January

http://www.gopenguins.co.uk/site/

followed by a ride

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -25218644/

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/ente ... _page.html

ta ken
Ken, being an afficionado of Christy Moore and therefore the Irish vernacular, you should not be surprised that your use of the word "ride" above has been drawing gasps of wonderment from people this side of the Irish channel. LOL.

However I am sure Leonard would well be impressed. And if you could guarantee him same on a visit to Liverpool, well then he just might return and also "do" Merseyside on his short European visit :)
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

I want to go now :)

Return to “Other gatherings”