Liverpool Meetup January 8-10, 2010

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Diane

Re: Liverpool Meetup January 8-10, 2010

Post by Diane »

Paula! I didn't know you were going, or Judith. Great:-)!! I must confess, not sure if I was coming, I haven't read this thread (I just saw a picture of Dave with Mr. Blobby).
Paula

Post by Paula »

I am going up primarily to see Megan who has deserted the south and gone north so it is a bonus to see everyone else.

It will be a pleasant start to the new year.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Hi all, hope you enjoyed the festivities, like many I'm glad it's over.
Emails have been circulating but sometimes because of computer glitches, things have disappeared into the ....
It would help Ken and I if people could let us know what days they are arriving in Liverpool or Chester……… if they need transport from airport to city…..where you are staying and when they are leaving. It looks as if between 15 and 20 Cohenites will be in Liverpool over the weekend of 8,9,10 Jan and if any one else fancies meeting up, let us know so that you are not left out of our plans.

Friday evening:

meet up in Liverpool with whoever has arrived…..from what little we know it sounds like folk will not be arriving until early/late evening so I’m sure there will be time for a drink and perhaps a late meal if required.

Saturday; full day sightseeing,music, meal in the evening.
Saturday evening we'll see what people fancy for Sunday and make final decisions then.

Sunday day:

Dave and Henning are both off to the football match in the afternoon so the rest of us will be sightseeing and/or shopping in either Liverpool or Chester depending on the consensus of opinion and time available……

Sunday night……depending where we find ourselves at the time a farewell meal in either Chester or Liverpool

….its your weekend and there's no pressure to fit in with any of our plans but it'll be good to see you all and let you see our city. Monday my liver will need a rest!
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Diane

Thanks for the info you posted off board.
I'm having the usual BT Yahoo email problems hence my reply here.
Because of the problem I was recently advised not to have the same programmes running together...BT is my ISP and I can't seem to delete BT Yahoo Mail so I had to delete my preferred email client Outlook Express and just use BT Yahoo instead. BT Yahoo works fine if a little slower than OE except when it comes to replying to emails. Once you reply using the original email the whole thread is sent but not saved or archived.
So I know what I'm doing at the time but will no emails archived or saved I haven't any recollection of what I've done....hey ho.
So you see why I can't reply off board using the group email.
Anyways I'm sure we will muddle through

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
margaret

Post by margaret »

Ken,
can you use Mozilla Thunderbird for emails? I find it much better than Outlook Express that I have to use at work. Rarely use my yahoo email address as it is not very user friendly in my opinion!

Deirdre is arriving on Friday morning and Diane on Friday night so we shall meet up with you in Liverpool on Saturday. Phone numbers and mobiles will no doubt be circulated soon.

Margaret
Diane

Post by Diane »

OK Ken, no probs. What Dave said above re. intinerary sounds great to me. I will enjoy the company whatever we do. Looking forward to it.
KerstinP

Post by KerstinP »

Sounds great to me, too!!! (Especially shopping in Liverpool.....never did that before :))

Looking forward meeting you all and doing sightseeing

Kerstin
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hello dear friends! Anne & I will be thinking of you this weekend. Raise a pint for us, if you are so inclined. Anne will be in Chicago seeing a play with the children and I shall, hopefully be at home recuperating.

We will talk to you soon.

Love,

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Hi to everyone attending the meetup this weekend Jean and I would have love to be with you all but we are unable to make it due to a prior engagement . We sincerely hope everyone has a fabulous time in the city that has brought us the beatles and one good football team . See you all in Kracow !!!
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Pete

Post by Pete »

...and also 'Hi' from me to everyone meeting in Liverpool. Sorry I can't make it to this one but will be thinking of you all.
Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
mylitta

Post by mylitta »

Joe- hope all goes well with you.

Weather permitting, I shall be in Liverpool from early evening Friday, leaving on Monday morning, staying at the Liner hotel.
I'm happy to fit in with anything other than football!
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

the bad news is that the whole of liverpool has come to a complete stop today because of heavy snow...liverpool and manchester airports both closed....all public transport withdrawn.....the whole city is gridlocked with traffic because the city council has run out of grit for the roads...absolute chaos reigns........i'm starting to worry about the weekend......

the good news (i think) is that those of you who are staying in the Eleanor Rigby hotel is that there is a lap and pole dancing club in the basement called Molly's....i kid thee not.......ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Blimey ken, they have dancers from Lapland (must be for the snow) and from Poland too.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

I remember that 'Molly.' She was a one legged plumber from Speke who did tap-dancing. She did tribute concerts for the daft, demented, decrepit and disheartened at the local British Legion. Her forte was to drum along to Beatles music with a pair of 3/4 inch diameter taps (faucets for the US ) on an old tin tray. The row was deafening but her beat was impeccable. It's nice to know she can still pull them in, although she must be all of 52 years old by now. Quite an old age for a past resident of Speke. She smoked like and chimney, drank like a sailor, ate like an elephant and had the sort of halitosis that would scour a frying pan. A lovely girl in her own way.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Snow: I remember when I was about 13 and walking to school from Allerton to Gateacre in a Winter that was a real badun!!
The snow was on the ground for several weeks and I had to walk through snow that was about 3 to 4 feet deep. There were great drifts of the stuff. The local 61 Bus couldn't get through the drifts and walking was the only way to get to school. We all got to school soaking wet and had to drape our coats, pullovers and shoes over our Form Room radiators. We wore plimsoles all day and by the time 4 o'clock came, our clothes were just about dried out. This went on for several weeks. The school smelled of damp wool for months afterwards.
My dad worked in a factory in Woolton on a weaving machine. He worked 12 hour days one week and then 12 hour nights the next week. He was paid piece rates !! No work = No pay !! He hated every minute of his 30 years in that job. But that particular Winter was the worst he ever had to work through.
I'm not saying that modern society is softer than we had it, because times and transport change. Most people need their own transport to get to work these days, and so any disruption caused by snow, car accidents, ice on roads, lack of salt and grit, means that chaos is not far away when we get any snowfall. We live in warmer homes and can use freezers and fridges to see us through any disruption in supplies to shops. I think the biggest problem at the moment is to curb Pete's Frosty who is hell bent on spreading his snow seeds all around Matlock, as seen in a recent unexpurgated photograph!!!
We never saw anything like that when I was a lad....... :shock:

Return to “Other gatherings”