Leonard Meet-Up in Dublin on 17 October 2009

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Happygirl

Leonard Meet-Up in Dublin on 17 October 2009

Post by Happygirl »

Hi all,

To mark the beginning of Leonard's US tour, a few of us in Ireland have organised a get-together for the Cohenites to ease the pain of not being able to be there!

All welcome, please join us, the more Cohenites the merrier!!
RSVP here and let us know how many friends you're bringing along.

Date: Saturday, 17 October 2009

Time: 8.30pm
Teachers' Club, 36 Parnell Square, Dublin

We are thinking of showing the Live in London DVD but if people have other ideas please let us know.

As this is the first time this is taking place, Dublin is the location. We hope it will become a regular event and take place in different places around Ireland.

If anyone needs a place to stay for Saturday night, PM me or Aloevera directly.

Happygirl & Aloevera
I lit a thin green candle {in Barcelona} to make you jealous of me
Dublin 13th July 08 - Lucca 27th July 08 - Dublin 19th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd July 09 - Barcelona 21st Sept 09 http://lifeisafestival.wordpress.com/
Bill's Bar

Re: Leonard Meet-Up in Dublin on 17 October 2009

Post by Bill's Bar »

Hi Gisela and Paula

Thanks for organising the meetup.................can I be the first to step into the avalanche.?

Tony.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
Happygirl

Post by Happygirl »

Hi Tony,

Great you can make it! I've also invited a few of my friends who are into Leonard's music but are not on the forum yet, should be a good night.

Also, I got a few PMs about Cohenites from the UK wanting to join us for the celebration and whether it was possible to arrange to stay in the same place. Do any of the other Cohenites from Dublin have any hotel recommendations? I'm hosting one person, maybe somebody else would be willing to host a visitor as well?

The location of the meet-up is very central on Parnell Square at the top of O'Connell Street, so should suit most people perfectly. We will have a private area with bar service and a video screening facility (Aloevera correct me if I'm wrong!). If anyone wants to bring their guitar or any other instruments, feel free to do so also.

Happygirl :-)
Dublin 13th July 08 - Lucca 27th July 08 - Dublin 19th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd July 09 - Barcelona 21st Sept 09 http://lifeisafestival.wordpress.com/
Aloevera

Post by Aloevera »

Hi,

I will investigate a number of hotels near to Parnell Square and post on the forum. I can host a number of guests.

I'm going to choir tonight in the venue so will check the technical facilities - I have been assured by the manager that we can use the DVD & large screen. It is a lovely building and just off O'Connell street, in fact, around the corner from the Gresham Hotel where our man stayed in July.

Looking forward to seeing you on the 17th.

In song. Paula
2008 - RHK Dublin x 2, Lucca, Birmingham
2009 - Dublin x 2, Barcelona, Nashville
2010 - Marseille, Las Vegas X 2
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Hi Gisela

As in my private message, I am looking into the possibility of coming over from England for this, wondering if I can afford it!! I live in Cambridge and will fly in from Stansted. Two things, do you know of any others coming over from Stansted and is there any B & B or hotel you are suggesting people stay at? As I am on my own it would be nice to travel with and/or stay at a place where other Cohenites are going to be.

All the best

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Count me in! Am also on the look out for accomodation.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Another UK-based person coming to Dublin here! Evie B, I'm in London so I'm not sure yet which airport I'll be travelling from (whichever works out cheapest!), but if I end up going from Stansted I'll let you know, it would be nice to travel out with someone :)
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Great stuff, Somewhat_Nifty, keep me informed. Still totting up whether I can afford it, hope Mr Ryannair is feeling generous (as if).
Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
Happygirl

Post by Happygirl »

Excellent, this is turning into quite an international gathering now with representatives from Ireland, the UK AND the Republic of Cork ;-)

Evie, hope your flight works out, fingers crossed - I spent almost 8 hours at Reus airport when returning from the Barcelona concert (don't ask), tip is to book early morning flights as the problems tend to get worse with whatever happens to their schedule throughout the day.

Paula, thanks for researching accomm options, I'm flat out with work/uni/organising a fundraiser for the night before the meet-up...

Happygirl :D
Aloevera

Post by Aloevera »

Greetings to all from another beautoful autumnal day in Dublin.

The Teachers' Club has the facilities to show the DVD. So that is great.

I will post hotels details later this evening.

There is the possibility of organising bar food so keep that in mind. Obviously there will be a small cost involved.

On another musical note - this week in Ireland there is a promotion around the positive mental benefits of choral singing and the national choir council asked all choirs to sing "What a Wonderful World" before and after their rehearsals this week. My choir sang to the rafters of the Teachers' Club last night.

Singing is so good for the soul.

in song. Paula :D
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Sorry Evie B, I'm going from Heathrow as that was best value, I hope you manage to get a Ryanair flight sorted (though hoping for generosity from them is very optimistic - I heard they were going to start charging to use the loo!). Anyone getting the 11.15 am Aer Lingus flight on the Saturday, do PM me (if you want a companion).

Thanks Happygirl/Aloevera for organising a fun-sounding night - do let us know if any contribution is required for booking the room etc, and bar food sounds like a nice idea :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Aloevera

Post by Aloevera »

Here are some hotels and hostels in Dublin 1.

Jury's Inn, Parnell Street, 149 euro per room, per night,

Maldron Hotel, Parnell Square, 149 euro, per person, per night,

Hotel Isaacs, 6 Store Street, 155 per room, per night,

Walton's Hotel, 2-5 Nth Frederick Street, 99 per person, per night.

Best Western Academy, Findlater Place, 89 per person, per night,

Castle Hotel, Great Denmark Street, 69 euro, per person, per night,

Hotel Saint George, 7 Parnell Square East, 69 euro per person, per night.

Hostels

Isaac's Hostel, 2-5 Frenchman's Lane, 16.50 euro per person, per night,

Jacob's Inn, 21-28 Talbot Place, 22.50 euro per person, per night.

In song.

Paula
HelenMc

Post by HelenMc »

Hi Paula

Unfortunately I won't be able to join you for this meet up as I have a long-standing appoinment with Freddie White on the same night.

I'm sure it will be a great night & I'm sorry to be missing it. Hopefully I'll be around for the next one!

Helen
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Bugger, I'm always looking for a reason to pop over to Dublin but unfortunately I too like Helen also have a long standing appointment, not with Freddie White but with Bertolt Brecht in Leeds.
I have a very fuzzy memory of attending an Oscar Wilde play in the Teachers many many years ago. We had attended some function or other in one of the many Trade Union offices on the same block, at which much drink was taken. If my memory serves me well there are steps either up or steps down into the Teachers, anyways which ever way they are I remember falling either up them or down them both on the way in and the way out. Happy memories...I think.

I'm sure you will all have a great time....how could you not... it's Dublin.

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Happygirl

Post by Happygirl »

Ah that's a pity Helen and Liverpoolken, hope to see you at the next one then!

For those who can make it and would like to explore Dublin a bit, there is a great FREE walking tour of Dublin (think they do donations at the end but not compulsory) every day at 11am and 1pm, more details here: http://www.newdublintours.com/index.php ... =2&lang=en

Also, a lot of the museums in Dublin are free and they are excellent, see http://www.dublintourist.com/directory/ ... ty_centre/. One of my favourites is the Chester Beatty Libary http://www.cbl.ie/, it's a bit more unusal and also has a great cafe and garden attached (just behind Dublin Castle).

Will try and research some more things for you in the next couple of days...

Happygirl :razz:

Return to “Other gatherings”