Victoria, BritishColumbia Event September 2002: UPDATE

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Natalie

Victoria, BritishColumbia Event September 2002: UPDATE

Postby Natalie » Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:31 pm

Hi Lizzy,

Victoria is on the west coast and Washington State is nearest to it. It's about a 2 and a half hour boat ride to Seattle (quicker by seaplane).

You should come for a visit sometime. It is one of the most beautiful cities in Canada, and people call it the Palm Springs of Canada because it is the warmest spot in the country (it doesn't snow in the winter -- it just rains).

Victoria is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. Its population is about 300 000 people, so it's not very big. It is a very eclectic, artsy city, diverse and bursting with talent. The scenery is gorgeous; the city is eclipsed with mountains and the Pacific Ocean.

Victoria is a popular tourist destination for Americans; we see a lot of people from Washington, Oregon, and California. As well, the American dollar is strong against the Canadian dollar, so Americans who come to shop are very happy.

Anyway, that's Victoria in a nutshell. You should come visit.

Take care,
Natalie
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:11 pm

That sounds super, Natalie! That's also the reason why the name was only vaguely familiar to me. There are only certain Canadian cities I've become acquainted with. I fell in love with Quebec City ~ and am thrilled with the Canadian no-billboard law. Traveling across the uninterrupted countryside to get to Quebec, Montreal, and Toronto ~ with the French music playing on my radio ~ I felt like I was in a foreign film. Beautiful country in Canada. So, I can imagine what you describe. I've been to California, Oregon, and Washington, so have a sense of it already, and my former husband loved it when he went into Canada at that end!

Victoria sounds ideal [or nearly so] with all it has to offer, perhaps a trade-off in some things with other areas, but it sounds pretty complete to me! I need to retire and travel. Any trip I make West will certainly include Victoria and you. Are you planning to record the readings and songs of the night? Or the event period? Perhaps I could get a tape/cd afterward.

Thanks for the invitation. :D

All good things,
Lizzytysh

Return to “Other gatherings”