Victoria, British Columbia Event, Sept. 26, 2002 UPDATE

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Natalie

Victoria, British Columbia Event, Sept. 26, 2002 UPDATE

Postby Natalie » Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:54 pm

I have more news on the LC event in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
September 26, 2002: 8:00 p.m.-midnight
It will be held in the cellar of Hunters' Restaurant, which has a seating capacity of 110. The cellar is normally reserved for comedy shows, but we were able to book it for the Victoria Writers' Society; it is a nice red velvet plushy venue, and apparently the acoustics are excellent.

Tickets will be on sale soon: 15 CDN dollars in advance, and 20 CDN at the door. We have Stephen Scobie, Leonard Cohen scholar, wanting to participate, as well as Linda Rogers, a poet based in Victoria who has published many books of poetry. We have five musical acts booked so far for the night (including me -- we'll see how that goes). All proceeds for the event will be put into the production of WRITE AWAY magazine.

If you have any questions, please contact me by e-mail: nataliefuhr@hotmail.com

Cheers,
Natalie :wink:
Andrew McGeever

Sept 26th event

Postby Andrew McGeever » Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:33 pm

Dear Natalie,
The line-up for the event sounds great! I wish I could be there, but will be in spirit. (Naughty spirit; it keeps taking off, while forgetting to book a flight ticket for the body! :D )
Tell me, will you be reading in addition to singing? (I hope so!).
If I could make it, I would love to read "Mythologies and Oranges", assuming I had been invited to.
Please keep this board up to date re the event: I can only speak for myself, but am sure that all forum members wish all the participants every success on the 26th.
Yours, Andrew.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:58 am

Hi Natalie,

I haven't had a chance to get to my Atlas yet and check it out. What American city/state is Victoria closest to? I know it's one in a 1,000 ~ however, I wish I could be there while your night takes place. I'd love to listen to you read, and hear you play and sing ~ if you get up the nerve by then :) . Maybe another time.....for both of us. Where is it, though?
~Lizzytysh
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:38 pm

Dear Natalie, can you please post us an up-date on how things are going for the Sept. 26th celebration?
As far as I'm aware, there aren't any events planned in Edinburgh to mark Leonard's 68th birthday, more's the pity. I guess I'll have to spend it alone, apart from some wonderful vinyl recordings of his music, and "Selected Poems, 1956-68". One could do a lot worse, but I will raise a glass to Leonard, and wish him "Happy Birthday".
Andrew.

P.S. Having scanned this post, I realise how old-fashioned I've become: vinyl, 1956-68, Happy Birthday.....mind you, he's still 16 years older than me!
Natalie

Victoria, British Columbia Event September 2002: UPDATE

Postby Natalie » Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:01 pm

Andrew, thanks for your interest in the Victoria event.

Here's an update:

In addition to several musical and spoken word performances, Dr. Stephen Scobie will be speaking about Leonard Cohen, and will read some of his poetry. He is a renowned Cohen scholar, a Governor-General Award-winning poet, and an English professor at the University of Victoria. It will take place on Thursday, September 26, 2002 at Hunter's (759 Yates St.) Victoria. Anyone that would like more information can contact me at nataliefuhr@hotmail.com. If anyone reading this is attending Dr. Solez's event in Edmonton, you should hop over to Victoria, which is a quick flight away (just over an hour). Flights are in the 200-300 dollar CDN mark; you might find a good deal with West Jet. As far as accomodation goes, I would be willing to find billets for people in order to defray their costs.

I invited Leonard's sister, Esther, whom I met in Montreal two years ago to the Victoria event. She sent me a beautiful card back and said that she couldn't make it. It was very nice of her to reply. She is the epitomy of grace, eloquence, and class -- much like her brother, I think.

You can check out our website, http://www.victoriawriters.com, periodically for more updates.

Cheers,

Natalie :wink:
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:25 pm

Natalie

I'm going to be at the Edmonton event, but for some reason it didn't occur to me until very receently that I may also have been able to come to your event. I think I had somehow or other thought that your event was on the same night as the Edmonton one. :? However, I think it's probably not possible for me to attend now.

Anyway, I sincerely hope your event is all you expect it could be and we wish you well from our event here in Toowoomba, Australia. :D

Cheers
Andrew (Darby)
Andrew McGeever

Victoria, Edmonton, Toowoomba........

Postby Andrew McGeever » Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:53 pm

Dear Natalie and Andrew,
It's so good to read of the birthday celebration plans for Leonard's 68th.
Natalie, your writers' group have scored a major hit by getting Stephen Scobie on the 26th. Your own contribution will also enhance the event!
Andrew, what can I say? You are involved in two "birthday parties", Edmonton and Toowoomba! Now how far apart can you get? I guess you'd reply, "I came so far for beauty". I hope both events go well for you, and the travelling too.
With my best wishes to you both,
Andrew.
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:54 pm

Dear Natalie,
Please tell us about the Cohen evening in Victoria. It's time to report back to the scattered activists!
Yours, as aye,
Andrew.
Natalie

Leonard Cohen Event Victoria Sept. 26: THE WORD

Postby Natalie » Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:44 pm

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a sell-out at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. There were over 130 people at the event, and the house was packed. We were told that next year we need a bigger venue.

The performers were superb. Victoria's own talent, professional musicians and amateurs (I'm referring to only myself, in that category), as well as spoken word performers, and poets paid tribute to Leonard Cohen for his 68th birthday(we know we're a little late). Dr. Stephen Scobie had the audience roaring with his Top Ten Reasons to Pay Tribute to Leonard Cohen. Kathleen Barnes talked about meeting Leonard Cohen in Victoria after he performed here in 1993.

Our magazine, Write Away, featuring "This isn't China" by Leonard Cohen was well-received, too. We were lucky enough to get Andrew McGeever to allow us to print "Mythologies and Oranges" in the magazine, too.

Anyway, I will have a longer report later; it will be detailed.

I'm pretty exhausted.

Thanks to everyone for their interest. And of course, thanks to Leonard Cohen, and Jarkko Arjatsalo.

Cheers,
Natalie Fuhr
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:17 pm

WoW!!! My heart-iest congratulations, Natalie!!! You sound so excited still! Good for you.......and what a grand turnout! Yes, a bigger venue for sure! I'm hoping [presuming?] the Top 10 Reasons will be included in your detailed description. How excellent, for thinking you were going to have a humble event. Humble in your attitude, perhaps, but surely not in its reception and success!
Love, Lizzytysh
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:17 pm

Natalie also gave me this link to a good story about her Event: http://www.mondaymag.com/monday/editori ... 2/arts.htm
(scroll down, because it's the last article posted in that section).
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:32 am

Dear Natalie,
Mazel Tov!!!
The success of the Victoria event is confirmation of the status of Leonard in his home country. Some way should be found to let the "old man" know.
Yours, as aye,
Andrew.
jarkko
Site Admin

National Post about the Victoria Event

Postby jarkko » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:57 pm

Cities host Leonard Cohen tribute nights
Comparison to Robert Burns a good one, fans say

Charlie Gillis
National Post

Friday, September 27, 2002

National Post
Poet/songwriter Leonard Cohen lent one of his unpublished poems to a Victoria writers' group.

Leonard Cohen once gave thanks to women who made "a secret place in their busy lives" for him -- a salute that today seems as fit for his fans as for his many lovers.

Last night in Victoria, the artist's devotees were to give a not-so-secret display of affection at a special Leonard Cohen Night, adding force to a movement that would celebrate the 68-year-old poet/songwriter on par with Scotland's musical bard, Robert Burns.

Fans of the Mr. Cohen hope to inspire celebratory evenings around the world around the Montreal-born writer's Sept. 21 birthdate.

Like the worldwide Robbie Burns Days held each January, they are to be lively celebrations of poetry, wine and song -- events befitting a man whose work resonates as widely among the masses as it does among academics.

"We wanted to have a lot of music," said Natalie Fuhr, organizer of last night's gathering in Victoria. "Of course, there were going to be a couple of speeches, but we wanted to have a festive atmosphere ...

"I think the comparison to Robert Burns is a very good one."

About 100 people were expected to assemble last night in a snug club below Hunter's Steakhouse and Wine Bar. Stephen Scobie, a renowned poet and Cohen scholar from the University of Victoria, was to speak about the artist and read from Mr. Cohen's writings, as was fellow poet Linda Rogers.

Musicians Laurie and Nell Postans were to play pieces from Mr. Cohen's musical repertoire, which many fans regard as his most powerful body of work. Since 1968, he has recorded 13 original albums and three greatest hits compilations.

Proceeds from the event were to go to Write Away, a magazine published by the Victoria Writers' Society, which Mr. Cohen has given permission to print one of his unpublished poems.

Organizers had sought permission to print the piece through the manager of Mr. Cohen's Web site, leonardcohenfiles.com.

They received a message from the artist himself less than 24 hours later saying he would be happy to help his "friends in Victoria."

"We were pretty thrilled," said Ms. Fuhr, a 30-year-old poet who teaches to support herself. "We had to have a tribute night because he's just such a gracious man."

The Victoria gathering was not the only Cohen Night this week. Last night in Toronto, singers Mary Margaret O'Hara, John Borra and others were to lead an assembly of Cohen aficionados at a downtown bar called the Tequila Lounge.

And last Saturday in Edmonton, the very pioneers of the whole movement held a bash at the University of Alberta's Telus Centre.

Kim Solez, a pathologist, struck upon the idea of Leonard Cohen Night after enjoying this year's Robert Burns celebrations in Scotland. He has been promoting the concept ever since on a Web site (leonardcohennights.org), and reports that fans in Australia, Germany, Switzerland and Great Britain have taken up the challenge.

About 130 people turned out for Saturday's event, and he has higher hopes for next year.

"I now feel absolutely confident that I will succeed at what I originally set out to do," said Mr. Solez, who is chairman of pathology at U of A. "We wanted not to just have a local event but to stimulate people in cities all over the world to do something similar, to have more and more each year.

"It's certainly not a Canada-specific thing."

Mr. Cohen, for his part, appears to enjoy the tributes.

"He's very touched that people are recognizing him," she said. "In most cases, these types of tributes to an artist or musician aren't even begun until the person is long gone. He's contributed wonderfully to Canadian culture and I think he feels privileged that Canadians are recognizing him in this way."
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:54 pm

Dear Jarkko, Natalie, and all activists,
The National Post gave deserved tribute to both Leonard Cohen and the organisers of the events to celebrate his birthday. But we should be wary of comparisons to "Burns Nights". I can't explain now, but will try at a later date: suffice to say that both Burns and Cohen deserve better.
Yours, as aye,
Andrew.

Return to “Other gatherings”