Meeting in Gloucester on 18th October

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:04 am

Lizzie (Madder) and I will meet you at the pub.
Neither of us know the way and we are coming from different parts of the country (Cambridge and Matlock respectively) but with Linda's expert directions we will see you there.
I mentioned it all to Lizzie tonight and she said " This meeting sounds great..I'll see you there...where is Gloucester???"
I told her it was to the left of Cambridge :lol:

Looking forward to saturday

Pete
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Postby Byron » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:13 am

Oh bugger, I thought it was on the right!!!
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
margaret

Postby margaret » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:16 am

Hi Pete,

look forward to seeing you again and meeting Lizzie. It's nice to see the number of attendees rising :D
linmag

Postby linmag » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:35 am

My esteemed spouse and my daughter are hoping to join us for the meal, though they will probably draw the line at a whole evening of unadulterated Leonard, so we may actually make it into double figures :D

If there is anyone lurking out there still undecided, we will be at The Harvester, on Hucclecote Road, Gloucester from about 6 pm, and you are very welcome to join us.

Rachel, if your parents are dropping you in the centre of Gloucester, you will need to catch a number 10 bus in the direction of Brockworth.

See you all Saturday :D
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:30 am

You'll find me by the nearest lamp-post, cigarette in hand, selling tickets for the show: yes, I'll be "lurking" around the Harvester on Saturday, if I can only find that lamp-post.
Yours, searching a light,
Andrew.
Cia

Postby Cia » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:25 pm

I have been following this thread and wish I had a pair of rainboots so I could join you all :lol:

Pete, NOOOO I am not wearing those damn moonboots since you made a fool of me in the chat :oops:

I wonder if you will do me a big favour Byron and give Pete a hugh hug in public from me, that should make it even for now 8)

Have fun all of you, I will be thinking of you all (in envy)

hugs from Cia
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man almost nothing.
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:21 pm

Cia!!!

A hug from Byron makes it evens????
How could you?
This in not playing fair.

Moonwalker
Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:50 pm

Margaret
You won't let Byron hug me........ will you????
Pete
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Postby Byron » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:25 pm

Dear sir, may I refer you to the 'please read' thread for a more concise up-date on Cia's 'suggestion.'
Yours regardless, B. :roll:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
linmag

Postby linmag » Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:53 pm

THANK YOU to everyone who turned up last night and helped to make it such an enjoyable eveing.

Pete arrived early, having missed out on his football match in order to be sure of getting here. A case of true dedication. :D He was already cosily ensconsed in the pub as the rest of us began to arrive. I believe he and Byron came to some private arrangement over Cia's hug. :lol: Poor Rachel arrived late, having taken it into her head to walk all the way from Gloucester city centre and been delayed picking her way round the puddles. We had a very pleasant meal, then ajourned to the Reading Room for the rest of the evening.

Lizzie Madder, who had emerged from the depths of Cambridgeshire at the last moment to join us, brought with her her amazing collection of Cohenalia for us to inspect and admire. Bottles of wine and J2O were opened, and with Leonard playing gently in the background, we admired pictures, posters and CDs, thumbed through books by and about Leonard, and attempted the 'First Liners' and 'Dingbats' puzzles that Pete and I had brought along.

Then Pete got his guitar out, and treated us to several songs solo, before Byron joined in on guitar and the rest of us joined in too as best we could and it became a community sing-song. As Pete and Byron went into a huddle to see what else they could both play, Andrew read us a poem he had written specially for the occasion (which I believe he will be posting here later, when he makes it back to Scotland), and also a couple more of his own and some of Leonard's poems. Lizzie also read us some of her own work and some of her favourite ones of Leonard's, and her partner, Peter (to distinguish him from Pete), read some more of Leonard's work. By then Pete and Byron were ready to go again, and we had another round of singing.

We had just decided to break for coffee, and were listening to Henning's CD, when the caretaker arrived to tell us we had to be out by midnight. This gave us a whole ten minutes to pack everything away, and leave the building as we found it, so goodbyes were a little hurried, but we all agreed that it had been a good evening, and we are looking forward to the next one, whoever decides to do it.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:02 pm

Who knows....maybe the train schedule will be better for me next time :cry: :wink: ~ it sounds like you had a :D wonderful :D time, and I saw Pete on the computer last night, trying to unwind just a bit from the adrenaline of it all and the long ride home! This is all just so amazing to me :D ! I'm very glad it went well for all of you.

~ Elizabeth
John the Shorts

Postby John the Shorts » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:31 pm

I'm glad things went well.

Maybe the next time I'll be able to attend?

JTS
Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:40 pm

'My day out'

9.05 With my nurse. 'You will feel a little prick' she said to me. 'What's new?' I thought to myself. A flu jab for yours truthfully, just in case you have an alternative image in your mind :lol: This last minute arrangement had scuppered my football plans slighty. A flu jab or a football match? The flu jab won and my team lost, which is the way it turned out anyway. Thankyou nurse for sparing me the anguish of Coventry City losing as it would have been a little rushed to get to Coventry for the early kick off.
9.30 Supermarket. Stock up with J20's for the meet, Now what flavour shall I get? No contest... Orange and Passion fruit won..which is more than Cov City did...have I already mentioned that last point?
10.00 Back home. A leisurely read of the papers and late breakfast followed immediately by an early lunch and twenty double checks to make sure I have everything I need for Gloucester. J20's - check guitar- check quiz sheet -check money- check clean underpants in case of accident (road accident that is - nothing incontinental here) - checked ( not checked underpants!!!!
road map and Linda's directions -check.
10.30 I think I'll just have a lazy morning... recharge my batteries before the long day ahead.
11.00 still recharging lazily
11.30 better just recheck everything check check check sorry, a recheck would be just check... not a triple check.
12.00 sport on tv What a lovely morning I'm having.
12.30 Coventry are kicking off.. 60 miles away. Keep an eye on the score on teletext.
12.40 Cov 1 cardiff 0 What a breeze :)
13.15 Cov 1 cardiff 3 What a collection of no hopers!!! Still, there are still another 45 mins. We ain't lost yet.
14.30 We lost 1-3. Thank g-d for the flu jab..much healthier :D
17:30 Arrive at the Harvester in Gloucester ( I spared you the details of driving down.
17.35 I ask a barmaid ' I'm looking for a Mrs Morris'. Barmaid eyes me suspiciously. I try to look all innocent.
18.00 I think I've been stood up. My Coca Cola is going flat and the barmaid is casting a cursory glance my way. I still try to blend into the surroundings 8) and, on cue, arrives Linda and John and Hazel soon followed by Lizzie and Peter and then Margaret, Andrew and Byron.
18.30 All present, including Rachel, and a good hearty meal enjoyed by all. A free, help yourself, salad from the salad cart with every main meal. Lizzie just wanted the free salad but she succumbed to a main meal in order to enjoy the said salad :lol: . Andrew had 2 free salads ( I was counting :D ) and he had 2 bread rolls as well. It's a long way from Edinburgh!!!. Andrew and Rachel also disappeared when the bill arrived. I think the words Scottish and Student respectively come to mind :lol: Our waitress only had to come to the table 4 times to see if we could cover the bill :)
We retrieved Andrew and Rachel and held them upside down over the table to empty their loose change. We didn't have to do the washing up.
19.45 Out we go. I call out, in an unassuming way 'We're just all going to a Leonard Cohen gathering where we will immerse ourselves in his works and tell Cohen jokes and have a really happy time' expecting the whole pub to rise in unison and shout ' show us the way, show us the way'. But all we heard was the continual munching of food and not one ounce of interest. They had their chance. Their lives will have to remain untouched.
20.00 We have our communal solitude and there are more j20's than I bought. J20 ought to have sponsored the event.
Linda has already produced an account of the proceedings. Yes, it was a most enjoyable evening and absolutely great to meet old and new friends.When I say old I mean those I have met before :)
and yes, Byron did give a hug and a photo was taken to prove it. You have wreaked your revenge Cia...we are now quits :D
Andrew and Peter singing So Long Marianne to Byron and I on the guitars was memorable, each verse getting louder and louder. I'm sure the whole of Gloucester went quieter and quieter. The rendition of tower of song is less memorable... we couldn't tell a verse from a chorus....but somehow, it didn't seem to matter. Byron and I did manage to get our chords in unison and our next performance is at the Albert Hall...tickets £45.
Henning was there in voice (hope he doesn't ask for royalties). What a cd!!!! absolutely brilliant..we made 6000 copies of it...only joking ( 5478 to be precise)
It was great to hear the poetry. I have read Andrew's poems here in the forum but to be there and hear him read some was truly superb..thankyou Andrew. I have heard Lizzie undressing Leonard before ( A POEM!!!!) and hope that it eventually finds it way here. Thankyou Lizzie for bringing all your vast collection.
Midnight. Short goodbyes before the caretaker had us sectioned.
Many many thanks to Linda for organising it, I look forward to future similar events. First we take Gloucester and then we take..... Chester? Matlock? Edinburgh?
Midnight + 5 mins On the road again. Music on full blast to while away the journey and stop me driving through the fields. Sorry, not Leonard as this may have slumbered me at the wheel ( no disrespect). It was Roger Waters and Gentle Giant for me.
2.00 home again. At the pc with my ovaltine to wind down. That rounded off the day perfectly.
3.00 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
BTW did I mention that Coventry City lost???
Pete
John the Shorts

Postby John the Shorts » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:02 pm

Andrew

As you, as a Coventry fan, were suffering it was probably just as well that I wasn't there as I may have been unbearably smug.

JTS
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:19 pm

:lol: Pete :lol: ~

I couldn't steady my hand from laughing long enough to drag down on your account to finish it. Took literally 3 attempts :lol: Your loss was my gain. My condolences to Coventry ~ but then my condolences to California, too; but then, that's another matter. Your account? Splendid! Needs to go in a brochure for your next gathering 8) .

~ Lizzytysh

Return to “Other gatherings”