Meeting in Gloucester on 18th October

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
linmag

Meeting in Gloucester on 18th October

Postby linmag » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:30 am

I posted this on the topic where we had been discussing it yesterday, but no-one seems to have noticed it, so I thought I had better make a new topic for it.

I have found a room where we can meet. There's no bar, but we can take in our own drinks, and there's a kitchen where we can make tea or coffee, or maybe heat up some pizzas. It's also a non-smoking venue, so smokers will have to huddle outside, but there is a porch. I can provide audio and video equipment, and am happy to stand the cost of the room since I will not have travelling expenses.

Does this sound OK?

The earliest that both myself and the room would be available is the 18th or 25th October. If people who are thinking of coming along would like to express a preference, then I can go ahead and book it if there is enough interest.
Last edited by linmag on Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
margaret

Postby margaret » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:16 am

Either date is fine for me ,with a marginal preference for 25th October.

margaret
Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:01 am

Linda
I dont know if you received my e mail through a pm here...you did say you were in the process of changing email addresses.

18th of Oct is best for me but if the 25th is the preferred option I'll see what I can do.

Pete
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:04 am

I'm so "jealous" :( .
linmag

Postby linmag » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:35 am

Yes Pete, I did get your email, thanks.

Well, that's one vote each way so far. We need a casting vote from someone, or it looks like you and Margaret might have to fight it out :lol:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:23 am

Dear Linmag, Pete, Margaret et al,
After serious consideration, and having taken advice from experts in matters of geography ("where the hell is Gloucester?"), I'm booking my passage to England for either the 18th or 25th of October to meet up with a bunch of Beautiful Losers.
Please let me know what's in store for me: my parents have spent many decades warning me against getting into "bad company".
Yours, in anticipation,
Andrew.
linmag

Postby linmag » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:34 am

That's wonderful, Andrew. It will be great to have someone coming from so far away. I think you will find that things have improved slightly since your parents' day, and that we are really quite civilised down here now.

As to what's in store, at the moment it's just a friendly chat and a few drinks with LC playing in the background, but we can develop that if people are interested. For instance, if anyone has a guitar and would be willing to give us a few tunes or lead a singalong I'm sure that would be very welcome.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

For Andrew or anyone else needing overnight accommodation could try the following site

http://www.gloucester.gov.uk/libraries/ ... asp?URN=20

I can advise which places are nearest the venue if you email me.

If we don't get a casting vote on the date in the next couple of days, I shall just stick a pin in the calendar, or book it for whichever date is still available.
Linda

Paula

Postby Paula » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:18 pm

I would love to come I just need to check out a few things trains etc but if I can come either day will suit. I will let you have a definitive answer on Monday.
Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:14 pm

I will bring my guitar. I can always use it as a raft and sail down the River Severn to the open sea if I need to escape quickly to avoid the rotten fruit :lol:

I'll also bring my quiz sheets which can be attempted at any time and at any pace.

Now all we need to do is set a date :D
I'll contact Margaret as at the moment it is still in the balance.

Pete
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:02 am

Going by what I've heard with your lovely renditions, Pete [your sounding as sweet and sincere while singing as you "sound" to be in print], I think you need to plan on putting that guitar to better use than just rafting and sailing with it.
margaret

Postby margaret » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:13 am

18th October will be OK with me. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:14 am

I've just found the location of Gloucester: Dr. Foster helped me with the aid of his atlas. So, it's in England, but bordering on Wales. October 18th gets my vote since I'm not working on the Monday.
I'm looking forward to meeting all those who can make it to Gloucester.
Andrew.
Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:15 am

I've now written it on my calendar for Oct 18th and it's not in pencil so thats it then. :D
Thankyou to Margaret for being accommodating.

I'll have to learn some Scottish so I can understand Andrew :lol:
but then again, Andrew could learn Derbyshireish. :lol:

JTS ? will there be a welsh presence?? I couldnt get to see you in Sheffield but would be good to meet up in Gloucester.

Pete
linmag

Postby linmag » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:25 pm

I have booked the room for the 18th, and changed the title of the thread accordingly. That should sufficiently confuse any latecomers or others who have not been keeping up with things. :lol:

I suggest that we start at about 7.30 pm, which should give me enough time to sneak the TV, video and CD player out the back door and get them plugged in down there. (I'm hoping that the little portable in the study will play at least some of my videos - I think someone might notice if I tried to sneak out with the one out of the lounge.)

Andrew, did you check that Dr Foster had got himself a new map? The one he used last time didn't seem to get him very far :lol:

My resident IT expert informs me that we shall soon have our very own family website, and if this materialises in time I willl upload details of the venue, accommodation etc. In the meantime, though, it's probably safer to send me an email asking for details. :wink:
Linda

John the Shorts

Postby John the Shorts » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:20 pm

Linmag

Sorry for not noticing this thread earlier. I will certainly try and come but I will need to check trains etc. It would be easier if my brother was visitting as I could scrounge a lift of him (He's also a Leonard fan)

I'll also check with Paul to see if he's interested.

I'll get back to you as soon as I know.

JTS

Return to “Other gatherings”