Meet-ups in Britain?

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
margaret

Meet-ups in Britain?

Postby margaret » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:19 pm

Has everyone noticed the recent red "meetup" link on the front page/latest news?

It seems to be trying to organise monthly meetings around the world every month on the same day. The problem is, we seem to be quite widely scattered and my nearest designated city venues don't have enough members to be viable. It's also not very practical to get there by 6 or 7pm after finishing work.

I was wondering if it might be possible for some of us to organise our own get-togethers in different regions of the UK from time to time, in the South of England, the North West where I live, Scotland, etc. We could make it like a weekend mini-break, with an overnight stay in a B and B or local hostelry/pub. It would be nice to have occasional weekends away in a different part of the country and meet up with each other.

Anyone like to comment or even volunteer to help organise something before Christmas?

margaret
Paula

Postby Paula » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:15 am

I am up for that Margaret. Perhaps a more centralised meeting point. Wales was just too far for me but I can cope with a Midlands or Manchester distance.
linmag

Postby linmag » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:59 am

Do you think people would be willing to contribute towards the cost of a hall? There's one near me that I could check out the cost of, or is Gloucester still a bit too far-flung for most people?
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Paula

Postby Paula » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:14 am

I will check out where Gloucester is today in terms of mileage. I always think of Fred West when I think of Gloucester. :evil:
John the Shorts

Postby John the Shorts » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:56 pm

I'm up for whatevers available, provided I've got enough notice to arrange time off.

JTS (Linmag I'm not sure about Gloucester - it's uncomfortably close to Truro :wink: )
linmag

Postby linmag » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:18 am

Paula - some of Gloucester's other dubious claims to fame are that it was shunned by Dr Foster, and the cathedral gets taken over every summer by the Harry Potter lot as they film the next thrilling instalment.

JTS - sorry, but that one's way beyond me. I've been out of the country and I must have missed something.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Paula

Postby Paula » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:27 am

I didn't know Harry Potter was filmed in Gloucester. I have just seen the second Potter film. I thought it was brilliant I'll have to get the first one out. Dr Foster was so easily put off he just needed waders. :D
linmag

Postby linmag » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:43 am

Paula - apparently Hogwart's school is an amalgam of parts of the cathedral and the choir school next door. Some of the pupils get taken on as extras, and it causes quite a lot of excitement each year.

You're quite right about Dr Foster - some people just have no initiative :lol:
Linda

altinkum

Postby altinkum » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:48 pm

I am all for this idea, the meet up site just doesn't seem to have enough people interested. I wouldn't mind contributing to any costs involved.
Altinkum
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Postby Byron » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:33 pm

Whose this Potter bloke? I can't find him on the membership list at all.

I too would enjoy a weekend break, where I could meet like minded people and share some quality time. Matron said I could borrow the Clinic's minibus, but I would have to be back before 'lights out' on Sunday evening. I believe that Broadmoor has a lot of available rooms, or so my CPN told me last week.

Can I bring my teddy bear as well? He's called Albert, and he's very well house trained, most of the time. :oops:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
margaret

Postby margaret » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:35 pm

Linmag,

I can make it to Gloucester and don't mind contributing to any expenses. I could also volunteer to organise a future event in Chester, which appears to be fairly central looking at the map of Britain.

margaret
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Postby Byron » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:58 pm

Pete, it would be a good opportunity to give you back your refluffed Seg which I had found under my piano stool when you were here last. I took it to Port Talbot in case you were able to get there, but the Welsh Branch of the Lizzytysh Seg Protection League confiscated it in full view of a bus load of pensioners on a day trip to Brecon's Beacon. Anyway, Brecon was away for the day, and I was given your Seg back when I left Port Talbot, exiting stage left, pursued by another teddy bear. Therefore, me old pal, me old beauty, you could be reunited with your Seg in Gloucester, provided no other idiots have read this message. Mums the word. :wink:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:37 am

Far be it from me to de-mum; however, my suggestion would be to keep it on the down low, Byron. There are certain responsibilities that come with having a Seg back in one's possession, and I wouldn't be too sure Pete is ready for that just yet. If you can arrange a meetup, you can slip it to him, but don't expect him to go public until he's prepared. On the other hand, I am sure he'll cover for you and run interference on the bear issue. It's only fair.
Byron

Postby Byron » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:45 pm

Elizabeth, Albert is not a fair bear, but one of those South American, Amazonian, Portugese-speaking, semi-incontinent bears. He knows I am publishing this and is finally reconciled to the fact that he must come out of the closet. (Top shelf, next to the pink cardboard hat box) He is looking forward to his day-trip to somewhere else with (Pete's Seg) ssshh...
They have become very good friends and can often be heard singing together. Something like Bear on A Wire. He does his best and we love him dearly, but I have discovered that it wasn't the piano which was leaving its stool to be cleaned up each morning, but poor little Albert. We still love him dearly, but he's costing us a small fortune in honey scented wet-wipes. Matron suggested that we could attach a small trailer to the back of the Clinic's minibus, for Albert and his friend (sssshh) to sit in, and we wouldn't have to put up with the absolutely gut wrenching stench of Albert's free-flowing 'packages.'
We still love him dearly, but I'm starting to get a rash on my face from wearing a gas-mask all the time.
Perhaps some kind soul would like to have Albert and his friend (sssshh) for a week or two, so that they could learn more about other peoples' toilets. Anyway, have a think about it. I must dash now because Albert's curry from last night's dinner is re-emerging!!!
Byron 'sends his regards.' :mrgreen:
Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:37 am

Damn you Byron I need my seg and I need it soon.
My wherewithall is not at all what it should be.. it is now becoming my wherewitherall.
I have Big Ted, whose adventures have been well chronicled in the chatroom, and it is only because of his continuing devotion to my well being that I have managed so far without my seg. This devotion is waning in the heat and my seg is in need. I am convinced that I did not inadvertently leave it in your house during my last visit....I think you relieved me of my seg while you distracted me with your tales of Port Sunlight and making me promise to take Liz there. I try not to go where there are shops.

Yours segless
Pete

Return to “Other gatherings”