"Came So Far For Beauty "Brooklyn N.Y. Prospect Pa

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
lightning

Post by lightning »

Dick,
Very observant and accurate description. However I think what you called a "Marc Ribot John Belezejkian-like guitar improvisation" was actually a Cohen composition found on "Live songs" Very haunting-- I could never forget it. It was followed in the concert by "You know Who I Am". You were more conscious of what the musicians were doing than I was so I appreciate reading your piece.
Last edited by lightning on Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dick

Post by dick »

Good catch Lightning --

Marc Ribot did play a track from Live Songs -- but I now think it is the one called Improvisation. It was only a little over a minute long, so I viewed it as a lead in to You Know Who I Am -- my bad! :oops:

Had forgotten there was a composition called Improvisation. Am deserving of a Bronx Cheer when you all see me in NY 2004!

My take is that the level of interest shown by New Yorkers in Brooklyn bodes an early sell out of Next We Take Manhattan.

Dick
lightning

Post by lightning »

Listening to side 1 of Live Songs I found that the lead in to "You Know Who I am" was very much in the same spirit as "Improvisation" but shorter. I think that's what we heard Marc Ribot do-- the "Live Songs " extended version of "You Know Who I am" including the lead- in. I guess I also can't forget but I can't remember what so I better edit my post.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Right ethical of ya there, Lightning :lol: !
Jim Rotonda

Post by Jim Rotonda »

The WNYC show – Soundcheck - with John Schaefer
Is airing a show this week –

“Anthony DeCurtis, music critic for Rolling Stone magazine,
speaks with John about his views of the state of song writing
in the States, where it came from and where it seems to be going.
As a special treat, we invite listeners to call in and share their picks!
Who are your favorite singer-songwriters?”

To hear a short discussion of LC
And a clip from “Hallelujah” go to

http://www.wnyc.com/shows/soundcheck/archive.html

Wednesday, July 02 2003
Click – “Listen to the whole show”
It’s about 45 minutes in.

Also from Marc Rigrodsky:

http://flyingvicar.blogspot.com/
Someone's musings about the show.

Thank you Mark.

Jim
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here is the text Mark was referring to with his link http://flyingvicar.blogspot.com/

by jen starlet
do not take the Q train if you want to get to the bandshell in Prospect Park. you will have to make a trek worthy of Frodo & Sam to get to the to the other side -- uphill. you will see taunting signs for Sasha's 2nd birthday part and the Gleason Family BBQ, but no signs for the bandshell. you will make it, but barely alive.

and we did make it to the fantastic leonard cohen tribute last night starring nick cave, laurie anderson, anna & kate mcgarrigle, martha & rufus wainwright, linda & teddy thompson, et al. family night indeed. nick cave was dolled up in a suit and the divine ms. andersen was in a rather strange black shorts, black shirt, black hose (?) and black shoes. her hair is still spiky short.

rufus was not wearing underwear, and his black pants were oh-so-tight. but we forgive rufus for everything because he is a little gift from heaven. he sang Hallelujah, backed up by teddy and martha and we all died. died, i say! and he preface Everybody Knows saying he has "fagged this up a bit"..."leonard cohen meets doris day" and we all cheered as he shook his little ass at us. some of us stood for the Canadian national anthem (hey, i have family in Vancouver) and everytime nick cave came on, a few screamers hollered, "niiiiiick cAAAve." he, in turn, languidly waved a hand at us before rocking out the bandshell. the photographers foamed at the mouthed. and as we applauded teddy and linda after their song together, teddy exclaimed proudly in his english accent, "linda thompson! my mum!" and they proceeded to hug.

i'm not going to go into further event details as it was 3 hours long. but i'd just like to say that we love brooklyn and will be back soon for the Malkmus & the Jicks show. as we all trekked to the subway (the much closer F train), onlookers gawked in confusion at the few thousand hot bodies. where are all these people coming from, they wondered. yes, i nodded to them, sasha's 2nd birthday party is over.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:D jen starlet did it up right with this account! I think I would be well advised to start a "Miscellaneous Leonard Events Fund" envelope for myself, making regular contributions, to be accessed easily at any later date, so I can be there myself next time!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have now posted a complete report on the Brooklyn tribute night,
with lots of photos! Texts by Dick Straub and Thelma Blitz. Photos by Dick and Linda Straub and Thelma Blitz.
Use the link under "Latest updates" on the front page at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com
Jarkko
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Even more excellence. You can see the magic! Thank you.
Coco

Post by Coco »

Hi Jarkko,

Thank you so much to you and the correspondents for the informative articles and lovely pictures. It is such a treat! :)
Linda

Post by Linda »

Seeing the pictures and reading the articles was a treat. Thanks to all who made it possible.

It is nice that so many young people are singing Leonard's songs and so many young people are in attendance and enjoying hearing them.
Linda
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's great to see that my initial impression of Esther as being loving and down-to-earth [letting people in to see Leonard's former home in Montreal, etc.] just keeps getting reaffirmed.

Return to “Other gatherings”