Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
damellon

Re: Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Post by damellon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:29 am

Drunk - that's the only thing that can account for this personality change. Take the advice of a wanton woman (whose bits are not yet 'withery' - what is withery?) and go to bed. You will be returned to your amiable self tomorrow.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
William

Post by William » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:44 am

"Withery (Adj. Der. OE) As in the state of a dying weed.Common colloquial ref. to an aged weatherworn female - less so to the male but occ.in West Midlands. As in Romeo & Juliet: 'The withery nurse stands all agape, to see the sun rise over such a dreadful sight.' "
Oxford Dict of Phrase & Fable
Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:05 pm

William,

in the cold light of morning, and assuming you're sober now, could you please re-consider your 'contribution' to this thread? I don't like reading insults to the country I choose to walk in, or those I would choose to walk with, whether they are intended to be funny or not. Unless you're harbouring a secret desire to join us in October...

thank you

Tim
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:32 pm

William, "methinks thou dost protest too much" Some bloke called Bill wrote that a few years ago. He knew a few things about human behaviour and I suspect you're a closet taffy. Deluded by thine own self-denial.
But on the other hand.....I have four fingers and a ffumb.
Last edited by Byron on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
damellon

Post by damellon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:37 pm

Diane
Couldn't you incorporate this into the promotional material for the walk?
spend a weekend wandering the wilderness that is Wales in the company of wanton women
I think William may be the man for the vacant PR position!
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Diane

Trying to go with the 'wanton women' idea for the walking tour publicity would be a complete waste of time, because all women are wanton.

They're either wanton this or wanton that.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
William

Post by William » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:15 pm

Tim
You have cracked it - I am a closet walker with wanton women, the only trouble being the fact that the closet is too small to get anywhere.
I still say the Welsh should never have been invented. What purpose do they, or that little piece of mountain scenery, serve? Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones, poor choristers, dubious rugby players, a very strange language, a port or two - where's the justification? I'm sorry,I cannot bring myself to apologise for my views on Wales.
As for the drink question, I have not touched a drop since an unfortunate incident in the Summer of 1965 - this is the truth - at a garden fete fundraiser for the school in which I then taught in Sussex. An incident that led to my moving lock, stock and smoking exhaust pipe to a quiet place and a new school further North where the story had not travelled.

Byron (what a wonderful, solid, English name),
I am,in fact, a tenuous (in the legitimacy sense) descendant of the aforementioned Bill and share his surname (and first name).
Do you, perchance, have the same connection with the wonderful poet whose name you share?

Ken,
do you have a Liverpool loo?

William
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Hey, William ~

How ya doing? Aside from the nuclear warning, this looks like a beautiful walk... and you already know that walking is great for you.

Not being a poet, I rarely even attempt poetry [have all I can do to handle prose in my daily life]; so I can't speak with authority on this; but it appears you may be suffering from poetry deprivation. I suspect there is a poem withering on the vine inside you, pleading for watering.

So, my own, albeit unsolicited, suggestion is that you pull your pen from your breastpocket [where else could it possibly be, under the circumstances ;-) ], put it to paper, and compose a poem. I really think you'll feel better, and then you can consider this great walking venture more clearly... at least to where you'll be able to see how others could love it so much and wish them well :) .

Regards,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Diane

Post by Diane » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:54 pm

There has been the odd English William who liked Wales. For example, some reckon that Shakespeare wrote A Midsummer Night's Dream in Fairy Glen, Clydach Gorge (near to Abergavenny). And Wordsworth stayed in Barmouth (our base on this trip) and described the view over the estuary from Barmouth as "sublime". (And it really is sublime, as those who come will discover.)

But William, you will be pleased to know that attendance is not compulsory. Grumpy Olde Men may remain in England. We are only wanton (for) the charming, fun ones!
William

Post by William » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:30 am

So you promise to stay on your side of the vales - thanks heavens for that, Myfanwy boy.
damellon

Post by damellon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:11 am

William

Then what (delights) in half-lighted passages!
Locking of fingers in long hide-and-seek.
You will protect me, my silken Myfanwy,
Ring leader, tom-boy, and chum to the weak.

Well, Diane seems to have worked her customary charm on you! Does that mean you might just, maybe, perhaps be prevailed upon to join us in October?
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
Longpig

Post by Longpig » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:00 pm

I live in Aberystwyth... I'm tempted! :)
Diane

Post by Diane » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 pm

Longpig, welcome! Are you a real Welsh person?
Longpig

Post by Longpig » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:48 pm

Nac ydw... I am a displaced Canadian. :) You?
Diane

Post by Diane » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:28 pm

Oh, that's a pity. Not that we won't be delighted to have you along, longpig (long pig?), but I was hoping at least one authentic Welsh person would join us. I'm English. I think I saw you in some of those tickets threads so I trust you got your tix OK this morning. We will need this weekend in the hills to wind down from all the excitement.

Return to “Other gatherings”