Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Re: Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Post by Byron »

liverpoolken wrote:it's official then....photoshopping weather reports can actually change the weather itself...it's going to be a sizzler..so don't forget your sun cream folks...poor Henning who I know was looking forward to a weekend of dark and thunderous skies, swirling mists, high winds, torrential rain tempered with a little snow ....ta ken
You forgot to mention Wagner and that Ride of the Valthingies........ :mrgreen:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Padma

Post by Padma »

I really wish I was coming but there you go! Enjoy the Knorr soup, Green and Black's organic choc and the spectacular views!!!

Padma X
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Padma, I shall raise my cup to you as I dunk my chocolate in my cup of soup.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Byron wrote:Padma, I shall raise my cup to you as I dunk my chocolate in my cup of soup.
Common as muck...typical scouser no table manners...

Sorry Padma but I've only just caught up with the fact that you have had to drop out of the weekend.
Fingers crossed that our LC paths cross again soon....ta ken

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Padma

Post by Padma »

Byron wrote:Padma, I shall raise my cup to you as I dunk my chocolate in my cup of soup.
How was the mushroom flavoured chocolate?
margaret

Post by margaret »

Hi padma,
We got home last night after visiting Portmeirion. Most other people stayed another night so will be on their way home by now, or onwards to Barcelona.
We had the most glorious sunny warm weather, probably the best few days of the summer in North Wales :D
Never made it up Snowdon myself, it was a hard slog for most of the climbers, and there were hundreds if not thousands of people on the mountain that day, Saturday. A great few days, and nights in the Royal Hotel Tap bar were enjoyed by all.
Reports and many photos to follow.

Margaret
efc

Post by efc »

Diane wrote: Paula, I'm not Welsh, but it's a good job Rob doesn't seem to be following this thread.

Ken I just saw your last post. Maybe we should just have a good fight on Day 3 :lol: .
Diane, sorry for the delay in replying but I think you were referring to another Rob, Rob from Cardiff perhaps
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Diane

When I first read your post about organising a fight on day 3 I thought I had missed one of the organised activities.
However once I had refered back to our daily standing orders that you wrote out for us all for day 3 (see below) I realised you were only joking. Phew!! I really thought I had missed out.......ta ken
day3.jpg
Diane

Post by Diane »

Oh I'm sorry to disappoint you because I was only joking, Ken. Mind you, what with Lisa getting a bit narked with Ewan/Elvis for waking all the guests in the Royal when Tinds persuaded him to sing for us late that last night, who knows what could have happened.

My mention of Cardiff Rob reminds me of the last time I met up with him and Anne - in torrential rain watching Youssou N'dour at WOMAD in July. We enjoyed the evening regardless, but thankfully the weather had perked up a bit by early September!
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Hi All,
It was intended to organise a weekend for Cohenites in Liverpool on the 8th, 9th 10th January, similar to the successful meetup that was organised in Dublin recently.
The idea was that we could compensate for not being able to see Leonard in 2010 by listening to Cohen style music, swapping stories and having a bit of fun in Liverpool.
Mountain climbing was not on the agenda.....
Jarrko’s announcement has changed this slightly and I know that many people have booked tickets for concerts in France or Zagreb, or are trying to find the money for a late ticket or trip.
I’m off to Marseille and looking forward to it.
However I know a number of people are still coming to Liverpool that weekend, and if enough people show an interest, activities will be organised throughout the weekend.
Live music, chat etc will be the theme of Sunday night whatever happens, but other ideas are....
the Beatles museum ,the Magical Mystery Tour, there are many museums and art galleries within walking distance of the city centre and we even have our very own Tate Gallery.
For fun you could try the yellow duck-marine , The Ferry 'cross the Mersey , our famous cathedrals, The Liverpool Philharmonic or even a Ghost Walk .Chester city wall walks are another option.

Liverpool is also the place to be for shopping and early January is sale time.
We also have a newly built shopping centre (Liverpool1) and so many places to eat.
I won’t mention the pubs.........or real ale, and on Sunday afternoon Liverpool are playing Tottenham.
Those who came to Liverpool for the concert and after the Barmouth trip enjoyed the city and a good time is guaranteed.
Let me know if there is any interest ( no commitment required) and if there is, a few of the northwest based members will put together a complete programme.
Hotel rooms at The Central Travelodge are £35 for the Friday, £90 Saturday and £35 for the Sunday,
But I’m sure cheaper alternatives can be found.
Hope to see a good crowd,it will stop me thinking about Christmas!
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
efc

Post by efc »

liverpoolken wrote:Paula

Scousers and only the Wesh to talk to for two weeks!!!
Sounds like the holiday from hell.

As you know there have always been shall we say differences, between the English and the Welsh.

Liverpudlians like the Blessed Anne Robinson and I are raised from birth to look down on the Welsh as lesser mortals. Rightly so of course.

We Liverpudlians are a bit of a dog’s dinner when it comes to our ancestry.
It is said we get our wit from the Irish, our capacity for drinking from the Scots and the Welsh contributed to our genetic makeup by passing on their capacity for thieving.

Taffy was a Welshman,
Taffy was a thief;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a piece of beef.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was not home;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a marrow bone.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was not in;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a silver pin.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was in bed;
I took up a poker
And threw it at his head

It is said that God gave them such a beautiful place to live in because he felt sorry for the poor buggers.
John (Patrick McGoohan ) and Maragret live right on the Welsh border, but they seem to cope well with the situation.

'Hwyl fawr' as they say in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
(St. Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the red cave)

Ta Ken
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Diane

I've checked the daily standing order sheets yet again..........are you sure I didn't miss out on any of the organised actitives on the Sunday?........ta ken
efc

Post by efc »

liverpoolken wrote:Diane

I've checked the daily standing order sheets yet again..........are you sure I didn't miss out on any of the organised actitives on the Sunday?........ta ken
Diane must be your designated enabler
Byron

Post by Byron »

Padma wrote:
How was the mushroom flavoured chocolate?
I can best describe its properties as truly magical 8) ;-) Still floatin' girl, still floatin.'
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I just now took Christoph's disc of photos to the shop to have them printed out. Of course, they are brilliant! It is the best thing for Anne & I as we have been sort of out of commission since Nashville. As Ken would say, only Men say they have the flu, the women are much tougher and only have mild colds. Dear Christoph, your photos are the best. As we read about Las Vegas & San Jose, we appreciate the whole end of the tour blues. We are still blue from being in Liverpool, Barmouth & Barcelona-still just a most wonderful time in our lives. Thank you, everyone (as Leonard said somewhere in the Book Of Longing). We have tremendous affection for folks from the U.K. including all of those wonderful folks like Tony (Bill's Bar), Paula (Aloevera), and the most glorious folks who joined us in Barmouth.

Love,

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."

Return to “Other gatherings”