Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
jennifer 52

Re: Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Post by jennifer 52 »

Hey would realy love to come and bring my hubby maybe,I joined the forum today and I am hooked,saw leonard in bristol 1974 I think andI Iong to see him again.PS.I love Wales too.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Good morning, Jennifer. You and your husband will be most welcome! We hope that by the time of the hike we will all have seen Leonard again. This break will give us a chance to get over the stress of fighting each other for tickets.
daveeliver wrote:Besides being a long way down, it's a long way off
It is a long way off. To enable us to get things sorted, we ask that people commit to going by the beginning of July.

By April we'll post a list of suggested B and B's.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Diane the big white ball was to stop people escaping. If anyone tried to escape the Village the big white balls tracked them down and brought them back. I know the series is dated but it was one of the best programmes ever made and Patrick McGoohan was electric.

Margaret you are right John does have a look of Mr McGoohan.

I can understand if people want to do something else on the 3rd day not everyone is a fan.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Diane

Post by Diane »

Paula I went to Portmeirion about 15 years ago, having never seen The Prisoner, and I was fascinated by the place.

If anyone wants to do something different, please say, and we will put it to the vote. Otherwise, Portmeirion it is. I don't mind what we do, only that everybody is happy!
Judy

Post by Judy »

We visited the Centre for Alternative Technology three years ago. It is fascinating and well worth a(nother) visit. We went in December and in spite of the wind, rain and mud really enjoyed it :lol:
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Paula
You will miss the annual Prisoner convention by a whole summer.
http://www.portmeirion-village.com/cont ... D=79;lID=1

They do have a little shop selling Prisoner memorabilia. I know this because much to my shame a few years back I bought
two little tin badges from the place with the legends 'I am not a prisoner' and 'Number 6'.

I've been to Portmeriron village a few times over the years. There's a micro climate thingy going on there which somehow means that when the sun shines it really does shine but when it rains it really does rain.

There are plenty of things other to see and do in the area.

There’s the slate mines at Blaenau Ffestiniog, which are well worth visiting

Also nearby is the narrow gauge railway in Porthmadog which is a thing of wonder.
http://www.festrail.co.uk/

My favourite village in the area is Beddgelert which nestles at the foot of Snowdon.
http://www.iknow-wales.co.uk/tourist_in ... _wales.htm

However the downside to visiting North Wales has always been that you can’t get a decent pint of real ale anywhere.
Looks like you will have to stick with the Welsh champagne.

Oh, and the other downside to the area is that with Liverpool only just a short drive away it's usually full of scousers having a day out.

See yer dere la.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Paula

Post by Paula »

I went to Wales once Ken for two weeks in a hoilday camp with the kids (it has since either burn down or blown over) either way best all round that it has gone.

The camp was full of Liverpudlians what with that and the Welsh who have a dislike for the English it was a holiday to forget.

I am of the Anne Robinson school of thought on Wales.

Can I still come Diane and Tim :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Paula

Scousers and only the Wesh to talk to for two weeks!!!
Sounds like the holiday from hell.

As you know there have always been shall we say differences, between the English and the Welsh.

Liverpudlians like the Blessed Anne Robinson and I are raised from birth to look down on the Welsh as lesser mortals. Rightly so of course.

We Liverpudlians are a bit of a dog’s dinner when it comes to our ancestry.
It is said we get our wit from the Irish, our capacity for drinking from the Scots and the Welsh contributed to our genetic makeup by passing on their capacity for thieving.

Taffy was a Welshman,
Taffy was a thief;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a piece of beef.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was not home;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a marrow bone.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was not in;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a silver pin.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was in bed;
I took up a poker
And threw it at his head

It is said that God gave them such a beautiful place to live in because he felt sorry for the poor buggers.
John (Patrick McGoohan ) and Maragret live right on the Welsh border, but they seem to cope well with the situation.

'Hwyl fawr' as they say in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
(St. Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the red cave)

Ta Ken
Diane

Post by Diane »

Well, that's the trouble, there are many possibilities in North Wales, and as a group we'll only have a chance to do one (nothing obviously to stop people staying longer and doing their own thing). Ken, I was thinking of stopping off at Beddgelert on the way back on the day we climb Snowdon.

I'll see if I can set up one of those voting thread thingies tonight!

Paula, I'm not Welsh, but it's a good job Rob doesn't seem to be following this thread. I think there was a good rugby match last weekend. Anne Robinson is coming on the hike. She will be drill-mistress. I'm not joking.

Judy, you are coming along then?! It will be nice to see you again.

Ken I just saw your last post. Maybe we should just have a good fight on Day 3 :lol: .
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Diane

The Welsh are lovely people. I wouldn't have a word said against them.

Ta Ken
Paula

Post by Paula »

What do the Irish, Welsh and Scots call English

We have Mick, Taffy and Jimmy what do they call us.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Paula wrote:What do the Irish, Welsh and Scots call English

We have Mick, Taffy and Jimmy what do they call us.

'Sir'

Ta Ken
dar

Post by dar »

Hi Tim and Diane. A hike/walk in Wales with Cohen folks sounds wonderful. (Even though I used to tell my friend not to drag me on her daily, as I called it, "Walk of Death". I'm not a walker, although I might need a walker for this hike. ha) Now on to acquiring vast sums of travel money in order to attend so many great gatherings this year. Every venue LC will be playing on tour, Edmonton, Wales, and I'm sure there will be other meet-ups.
I usually don't care too much for money, but money could buy me....a good time?
I'll certainly keep Wales in mind when I'm wishing.

Dar
KerstinP

Post by KerstinP »

Indeed, that really sounds very interesting. I like hiding tours! And in such a wonderful landscape.

Henning, book our flights, please!
(I only hope it will be not so windy then like the flight Manchester-Frankfurt past Sunday. I already thought it was my last flight)

Christine, I'm not a professional hairdresser but I often cut and style my family member's hair (ok, except Henning's). I'll help you then ;-)

Kerstin
Diane

Post by Diane »

Dear Dar! It's a hell of a way to travel for a long weekend, but we will be delighted if you do decide to desert the desert and die walking with us.

I can't advise on acquiring vast sums of money, but to quote Deirdre's sig, "no one will sell you what you need."

And Kerstin! Welcome aboard. And I am happy that we have sorted out the issue of Christine's hair.

OK, please vote for your preferred third day activity in the other thread.

Return to “Other gatherings”