Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
liverpoolken

Re: Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Post by liverpoolken »

Byron wrote:You can tell a lot about a person from their signature. 8)
Not much hope for me then John.......Ta Ken
g15.jpg
g15.jpg (18.05 KiB) Viewed 8189 times
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Diane

Post by Diane »

Padma I'm real disappointed you can't make it:-( I know you have a very good reason. At least Tinders is still going to be there, struggling on beside us through the wind and the rain with hope in her heart*. Other than that we are left with Byron, Albert (who apparently requires his own seat on the train :roll: ), and Ken, who is in danger of influencing Henning to sing Bob Dylan songs (say you won't be swayed, Henning). Still, at least Ken can be put in charge of taking the photos of us all standing unwindswept on the summits under blue cloudless skies.

*ref. You'll Never Walk Alone, and no connection with any football club intended!
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Diane wrote:*ref. You'll Never Walk Alone, and no connection with any football club intended!
Well that takes the biscuit. Having a go at football fans. When was the last time you went to a football ground? Have you no idea of the passion that lifts the hearts of the poor downtrodden masses, as they spend hundreds of pounds ( GBP ) and Euros every week, giving their utmost support to their chosen teams. Declaring before anybody and everybody that, 'their' foreign players are better than 'your' foreign players.

Having already slipped in an 'aside' at Henning, you compound your derogatory 'Dylan' blast with a go at German football supporters.

And young lady, for your information, Albert shall be going by hot air balloon, amply fuelled by the excesses created in the 'Politics' threads. So there!

Neh, neh, neh neh neh. :razz:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ta Ken, any trained psychologist would look at your signature and see that you come from a very long ancestral line of black ink users. It must be ingrained in yer blud. The splotches are clearly a representation of two pandas ordering a double muffin Mcburger at a KFC on the south coast of New Zealand. Am I right?
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I've just read that you can download Bob Dylan's voice to guide you for your Satellite/Navigation system. Perhaps we should do this in case we get lost while making our way to the top. As far as I know, Leonard hasn't taken advantage of this marketing opportunity yet.

Tinders, don't give up! Those of us walking will need all of the moral support that we can give to each other. We won't call for the rescue squad until none of us can put one foot in front of the other.

Diane, I knew I would eventually get you singing/humming Broadway show tunes if I worked on you long enough!

Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Serious here:
There is a lot of discussion on the radio at the moment about the problems caused by unprepared walkers in the hills of the UK.
Mountain Rescue Teams ( All unpaid volunteers ) are being called out to rescue more and more people, who have set off into the hills without proper, sensible, cautionary care of themselves.
Walking into the hills; wearing trainers, T-shirts, shorts, without waterproof, warm clothing, without mobile phones, without whistles, without food and drink, without telling people where they are going and for how long; is plain stupid. But, people are doing it!!
The weather will change in minutes. Tracks can cause accidents.
Someone said, "prepare for the worst and hope for the best."
Some of the incidents are astonishing when looked at.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Byron wrote: Well that takes the biscuit. Having a go at football fans. When was the last time you went to a football ground?
Byron I'll have you know I take my biscuits with gravy these days, which I understand is the American way. It's part of my concerted effort to be multi-purpose, like bathroom cleaning fluid. And for your information, young man, I have attended football grounds a number of times, most recently the RDS stadium in Dublin, and I am usually on the field. When not on a field I am in one.
Joe Way wrote:Diane, I knew I would eventually get you singing/humming Broadway show tunes if I worked on you long enough!
Ha, Joe, you got me there:-) It just popped into my head to sing to Tinders. We will carry each other to the top.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Dear Di, if you get injured on/in a field, Ta Ken could be yer blud substitute. But you'd have to carry yer own blud capsule. This 'fread' is nothing if not topical. Bye the way there's a new job now open at Harlequins. The top man resigned a few minutes ago. BBC Radio 4 News.
efc

Post by efc »

Diane wrote:
Byron wrote: Well that takes the biscuit. Having a go at football fans. When was the last time you went to a football ground?
Byron I'll have you know I take my biscuits with gravy these days, which I understand is the American way. It's part of my concerted effort to be multi-purpose, like bathroom cleaning fluid. And for your information, young man, I have attended football grounds a number of times, most recently the RDS stadium in Dublin, and I am usually on the field. When not on a field I am in one.
Joe Way wrote:Diane, I knew I would eventually get you singing/humming Broadway show tunes if I worked on you long enough!
Ha, Joe, you got me there:-) It just popped into my head to sing to Tinders. We will carry each other to the top.
Never mind the biscuit, remove my name forthwith from the list of participants
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi All,
I think I've found a couple of shots of the summit building on Mt. Snowdon. The food stuff looks like it has been there for awhile, but I don't see any Knorr's Cup of Soup. Heinz certainly has a prominent position which is very comforting to us Yanks, as we love to smother every thing in Ketchup.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 1%26um%3D1
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 2%26um%3D1

Joe

P.S. Can anyone show me how to post a picture using a Mac?
Diane

Post by Diane »

Byron, I think you have put ideas into people's heads. Nobody bleeding from the mouth will be permitted to call for mountain resuce on this trip. I like the Antarctic weather conditions, Joe, but be careful what you say in jest!

I need to know how many people want to eat at the restaurant at Portmeirion on the Sunday. With a group booking in advance of at least 12 people, we get a discount, free entry into Portmeirion (saving £7 each), and the meal looks like it will cost from £15 each (two courses minimum must be ordered for this offer). Seems to be good value.

http://www.portmeirion-village.com/cont ... ID=3;lID=1

look at Castell Deudraeth Gastropub. Click on Sunday Lunch Menu.

Please let me know by Friday if you DO NOT want to be included (obv. no need to reply if I already know you won't be there on the Sunday). Will also email this message.
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Just in case.... Marks and Spencers sell a 2 pack of blister proof socks for 7 euro here in Dublin and they have this nice gel padding packed in all the right places in the socks.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

shackelton5-1.jpg
16.JPG.jpeg
[attachment=2]Ok, I just figured out how to attach pictures...

Here are the pics of the summit building that I wanted to attach before. Please notice the ample Heinz Ketchup. See you at the top!

Joe
Attachments
food-scotts-hut-350.jpg
food-scotts-hut-350.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 7328 times
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

As everybody knows by now I'm a typical Englishman in that I'm obsessed by the weather and of course blisters.
It's forecast to rain every day here in Liverpool until next Monday. Then as if by magic the day that Joe and Anne arrive in town from Wisconsin the sun is goin' to finally break out and then continue to shine for the rest of their stay.
I know there is a rumour that we could have some rain on the day we tackle Cader Idris but here is a long term weather forecast for Barmouth that hopefully will turn out to be correct. Where there is hope there is sunshine...let this be our motto...ta Ken

http://www.zoover.co.uk/wales/wales/barmouth/weather
barmouthweather.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Henning

Post by Henning »

Sorry but I have to ask where has the challenge gone ? I booked this trip assuming we will walk under some certain circumstances that includes the typical shitty weather over there. Whom can I trust nowadays ? There'll be whistles and mobiles. No chance of getting lost somewhere and we singing "We shall overcome". I should have known by the time when I got this cheap airfare to Manchester. There's a reason behind everything.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Diane

Post by Diane »

As weather people can't predict the weather here even on the day it happens with much more accuracy than you'd get looking out of the window, I don't know how they can predict it over a week in advance. But a more detailed "forecast", e.g. for Snowdon or the postcode of Snowdon Mountain Railway at http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/ is not quite so sunny. But we will stick with your forecast, Ken - I like that one! Last September it rained here in South Wales incessantly for weeks...

Don't worry Henning, there is plenty of suffering to come.

Return to “Other gatherings”