Top of the pops

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
Philwilli

Top of the pops

Post by Philwilli » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:10 pm

Does anybody know if Leonard ever appeard on the BBC's "Top of the pops"in the sixties?I have alot of old VHS tapes with recordings of those
programms that was broadcasted on BBC Prime about 10 years ago or longer.
But to search them and find if Leonard is on them will be a nightmare.
So if anybody knows it would save me alot of trouble.
Davido

Post by Davido » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:35 pm

Phil, I am pretty sure that Leonard never appeared on TOTP. His debut on British TV was on the Julie Felix show in 1967. This clip (Stranger Song) has just been posted on YouTube.
His next live appearance in a BBC studio was in May 1993 on 'Later...with Jools Holland'( I have the complete show).On this show Leonard and Jools watch a short clip of Leonard singing a duet with Julie Felix from his debut appearance on her show (Hey That's no way to say goodbye).
The track 'Dance me to the end of love' from this 1993 show also appears on the compilation dvd 'Later...with Jools Holland - Giants'.It states on the info to this track that this was Leonard's first live appearance in a BBC studio since his debut on Julie Felix Show in '60s.
So, unfortunately, unless anyone knows different, your search through your video archive for Leonard would be in vain :cry:
Philwilli

Post by Philwilli » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:14 am

Thanks for the info Davido.You saved me alot of time seaching through
the tapes.Got to get those tapes on to my pc one day,edit them and get
them on to DVD's.There is a lot of goodies there even if they are in black
and white.I have downloaded the Stranger song video from Jim Williams
link as a Divx.Not bad quality.Have converted it to mpg.Think LC was thinking of someone special when he sang,the tear at the end shows it.....
colin

A TEAR!

Post by colin » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:53 pm

If memory serves me well, I sense that Mr. Cohen did not blink once throughout the whole performance. Enough to bring a tear to anybody's eyes!

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”