2010 audience recordings (some available online)

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
edlosi

Re: 2010 audience recordings (some available online)

Post by edlosi » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:04 am

B4real wrote:
At the moment I am unable to download either Auckland concert (except for the second part of the 28th).
That's the only part of the two Auckland concerts I couldn't download. :razz:
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:00 am

Hello fellow downloaders :D

You just have to keep trying. I was finally able to get Brisbane, Aukland 28th and half of Aukland 29. I just check it every half hour or so. When the window is open you pop in. :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
B4real

Post by B4real » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:12 am

Thanks Cheshire gal and neo,

Slight panic - but all OK now. :D

all's finally well remote1 - many thanks for all your thoughtfulness :D
Last edited by B4real on Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
neo

Post by neo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:24 am

This is a common problem with Megaupload since some time. There isn't much the uploader can do about it. You can only try again and again until you'll finally get a download slot from Megaupload. :cry:
What sad religions they want us to believe.
remote1

Post by remote1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:13 pm

Sorry to hear the downloads were not as straightforward as all that... But I'm glad that it worked in the end! ;-)
"We are so lightly here"
remote1

Post by remote1 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:46 am

Last edited by remote1 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We are so lightly here"
sue7

Post by sue7 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:47 pm

Fantastic!! Many thanks. Just in time for the long weekend here, so I'll have plenty of time to download. :)
Sue
remote1

Post by remote1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:12 pm

As always, you're welcome Sue! Have a good weekend! 8)

I heard some of the first Melbourne and think it's very good... This is how bj2117, the taper/original uploader, describes it on Dime:

"By all accounts, Leonard Cohen's concerts in Australia have been superb with audiences raving (once again) about both the musicianship of his band and the sublime experience of a night spent listening to Cohen's music.
Here's a recording of the first of two nights Leonard played in Melbourne at the Rod Laver Arena.
This is a great show and a nice recording, only (very) slightly marred by some occasional noise from a clunky staircase located close to the position where the original taper was seated. Hopefully this won't prove too distracting to listeners (not much I can really do to try to fix, sadly).
Particularly notable about this show:
* Cohen is far chattier with the audience than usual, making a few off-the-cuff jokes and remarks
* Democracy makes a return to the set-list after many months' absence.
Hope you enjoy this rare treat ... more recordings from Leonard's down-under tour coming over the next week or two.
bj2117"

And this is how they describe the second Melbourne:

"Here's a recording of Leonard Cohen's SECOND night performance at the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne. Scanning the LC Forum, you might come to the conclusion that the consensus is that this was the better of the two nights' shows (although both are excellent shows).
Leonard was not at all chatty on this night, so there's none of the banter with the audience which makes the previous show unique. BUT ... several songs that had been missing from the set list make a return here. And it's a longer show (180 mins vs 160).
As far as the recording is concerned ... it's exceptionally clear, probably the most crisp recording I have shared on DIME. The original taper puts this down to a combination of good position and the very good sound system at the Rod Laver Arena.
Hope you enjoy this great recording ... and for those concerned about the Webb Sisters' "If It Be Your Will" being absent from the first Melbourne show, it's back here!
bj2117"
"We are so lightly here"
B4real

Post by B4real » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Thanks again remote1,
I have just downloaded the Melbourne concerts. :D :D I will take great pleasure in listening to them by all accounts. 8)
Much gratitude! My internet provider has for no extra charge decided to more than double my allowance and my speed! I think the universe is telling me something. :razz:
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
remote1

Post by remote1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:20 pm

I've just added Adelaide and Hobart 2010 to the list of links (see above).
"We are so lightly here"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Amazing remote1.
Thank you!! :D :D
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:27 am

I thank you too remotel. Much appreciated.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
B4real

Post by B4real » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:00 pm

ah remote1,

Everything went down so quickly and smoothly. Thanks so much for those last two concerts - Adelaide and Hobart - I know I'm going to enjoy them :D
remote1

Post by remote1 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:25 pm

I've just added the two Wellington 2010 concerts to the list of links (see above).
"We are so lightly here"
remote1

Post by remote1 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 pm

I've just added Hanging Rock 2010 to the list of links (see above).

A big thank you to bj2117 for getting hold of all the Australian and NZ recordings. Your efforts are much appreciated!

This is how bj2117 describes the Hanging Rock recording on Dime:

"This is the last of the Leonard Cohen "Down Under" recordings I have in my release queue at present -- one or two more have been promised to me by tapers but I have still yet to receive them (and might not).

Reading the Leonard Cohen Forum, it sounds like Leonard's performance at Hanging Rock has taken on a little bit of a legendary status, although mainly for reasons that have little to do with the musical performance itself. For those unfamiliar, Hanging Rock is a rocky outcrop in a national park 60 or so Kms north of Melbourne. Legendary Australian music industry heavyweight Michael Gudinski has been trying for some years to get permission to put on "festival-style" music mega-events at the location ... this years Leonard Cohen show proved to be the first.

This was one of only two outdoor performances Leonard gave in Australia and, by all accounts was quite an impressive one ... but sadly the elements were not kind to either the audience or Cohen. Despite a warm day, by the time the main act came on at dusk it was already bitterly cold, and only proceeded to get colder. This wreaked a bit of havoc with all the vocalists, despite scarves and heavy coats quickly being put on. So, as you listen to this recording -- and in particular to Leonard's croaky voice (particularly in the second set and encores) keep that context in mind.

Given the nature of the PA systems at outdoor venues (which can be fairly variable in quality), this recording is of generally high quality. It was made by the same taper who provided excellent recordings of both Rod Laver (Melbourne) shows. In his (her?) own words, however, this recording proved a little more challenging: "unfortunately there is a small section missing from the HR recording -- late in the second set I noticed battery level was low and an urgent switch was needed. I did this quickly at the end of I'm Your Man, but by the time the recorder was back on the first few lines of the poem recital had already happened. Bummer."

In the interests of presenting a complete rendition of A Thousand Kisses Deep (which didn't vary much from show to show anyway), I have spliced a few seconds from another recording to the beginning of the material supplied by the OT. I'm sorry if purists are offended by this patching -- anybody who wants to remove this can easily do so by simply deleting the first 7.893 seconds of the file.

Apart from this slight flaw, this is another great recording and very much captures the vibe of an outdoor Leonard Cohen show. One factor of this is audience chatter -- for whatever reason, when people have been sitting outdoors for many hours watching multiple support acts, they seem to become more prone to talking through the performances ... This recording has several such moments, although none are truly distracting.

Other notable points:

* As with the Adelaide performance, Sharon Robinson was absent from this show

* Leonard's voice develops a notable huskiness in the later songs

* This is probably the shortest performance of the Aus/NZ tour

I hope that people enjoy this recording -- for the authentic listening experience, crank down the temperature and listen while wearing woolen gloves, scarves and jackets!

bj2117"
"We are so lightly here"

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”