"The Future" Vinyl - for sale

Forum for collectors and traders' of Leonard Cohen's music and poetry.
BigAl

"The Future" Vinyl - for sale

Post by BigAl » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:47 pm

A rare visit here for me and hello to those that remember me from the old News Group.

As the subject header says, and following on from the thread below, I am considering selling my vinyl copy of "The Future" mainly due to long-term unemployment and being broke - which stopped me from going for concert tickets last year :cry: :cry:
Although I need to realise as much cash as possible for this album I thought I'd offer it here before going to dealers in the UK or putting it up on E-Bay but it does depend on what people are willing to offer for it so realistic offers if you would be so kind.
Anyway, I've owned this album from new and it is in mint condition as is the sleeve. Quite literally it is as good as if you'd bought it directly from the store yourself. Anyone who may wonder about my veracity (and don't worry about that; I won't be offended) have a word with anyone you know who frequented the old NG. I hope and believe that they will vouch for me. Put bids here by all means or e-mail if you prefer on bigal dot home at virgin dot net

Postage costs will be exactly what it costs me to package and mail to wherever the winner might be in the world; I'll notify whomever (and I would definitely like this to go to real LC fan) at the time.

As to why this album is so hard to come by, I'll relate what I was told.

A record shop in Manchester (now closed sadly) knew me well and my preference for vinyl. Nick (the owner) also knew that, along with my preference for female singer/songwriters, was a strong liking for the music of Leonard (as well as Walkabouts and Sundial). So, when "The Future" was released he, without any prompting from myself, tried to get a (maybe more than one for all I know) copy. A couple of days after this I wandered in and he informed of what he'd been trying to do only to have been told by his supplier that Sony/Leonard had ordered the withdrawal of the vinyl version as they deemed it sounded far too dark. I've assumed that this is due to the fact that it only just fits onto a 12" vinyl and the groove cut is as fine as you can make it. Anyway, I told Nick thanks for trying and I would have bought a copy from him if he had succeeeded (and I would have) but no matter as I had bought myself a copy in HMV the previous week-end. On hearing this I went back to HMV as I knew that there was at least one more copy there - but not when I returned. Whether sold or returned I know not.

Anyway, I'll be looking in from time-to-time to see what's happenning. I'm not going to be making any fast decision until at least the end of January and possibly not until well into February to ensure everyone who wishes to try for this has a chance to do so.

Any questions then please post them here to allow everyone the ability to see all queries and my answers.

Oh, and Happy New Year to all.

BigAl
mickey_one

Re: "The Future" Vinyl - for sale

Post by mickey_one » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:53 pm

I vouch, I vouch. You will be buying an album from a totally trustworthy and diamond geezer!

Happy New Year, Al

michael
BigAl

Post by BigAl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi Michael

Hope you and yours are well and the legal business is still paying the bills. Having done jury service just before Xmas I know it's money for old rope.

Anyway, immediate response is nil so far - perhaps the only people who might have been interested were all the earlier thread and they've now obtained a copy. Think I'll run a copy of this on the NG as well.

And thanks for vouching - cheque is in the post.

BigAl
drsing

Post by drsing » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:17 pm

BigAl wrote:Hi Michael
... immediate response is nil so far - perhaps the only people who might have been interested were all the earlier thread and they've now obtained a copy. ......
hi BigAl, Nice story about this album! I have read somewhere else that the album is so rare because it was only released in the Netherlands (that's where I live....). Don't know what is true about this, what is so special about The Future vinyl album. Who can tell more about it?
I have in my collection one Future 12" LP album now, a music cassette, a 7" single Closing Time and the Tour Book.
(These are not for sale :( )

I was in the other thread, maybe more people are interested if you post a picture of the actual item and what price you expect for your treasure....Good luck!
drsing
Attachments
these are NOT for sale
these are NOT for sale
Future artikelen.jpg (19.11 KiB) Viewed 8396 times
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
BigAl

Post by BigAl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi drsing

As to why the rarity I can only iterate what I was told and that Sony/Leonard demanded a recall. There are certainly two different album labels as can be seen on the earlier thread although I suspect that the only vinly pressing was done in Holland (my copy was certainly pressed there). Quite why this happenned I know not - perhaps Jarrko can find out?
Anyway, I have received a bid via PM for this so there is still a market :lol:

I agree with you re a photo as it will at least prove I own the album but I'm not going to quote a price so that anyone can put in a bid according to their means and won't be scared off by an asking price. I'm serious about wishing it to go to a true fan.

BigAl
drsing wrote:
hi BigAl, Nice story about this album! I have read somewhere else that the album is so rare because it was only released in the Netherlands (that's where I live....). Don't know what is true about this, what is so special about The Future vinyl album. Who can tell more about it?
I have in my collection one Future 12" LP album now, a music cassette, a 7" single Closing Time and the Tour Book.
(These are not for sale :( )

I was in the other thread, maybe more people are interested if you post a picture of the actual item and what price you expect for your treasure....Good luck!
drsing
S3500003.JPG
S3500003.JPG (203.54 KiB) Viewed 8344 times
drsing

Post by drsing » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:22 am

there is one vinyl album for sale USD 224 at:

http://www.musicstack.com/item/29763892 ... the+future

too expensive for me :cry:
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
BigAl

Post by BigAl » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:40 pm

And for me, and I own it :roll:

For anyone thinking of bidding then don't be put off by the asking price elsewhere. I really don't want this to go to a dealer for re-selling at a profit.

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way at the moment and I'll not be in a position to do anything about this until the end of Feb so people have more time to decide as to whether to try or not.

BigAl

drsing wrote:there is one vinyl album for sale USD 224 at:

http://www.musicstack.com/item/29763892 ... the+future

too expensive for me :cry:
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:41 pm

A new release of this album seems to have been issued on LP on the 20th of April this year under Comubia label. It is listed at only £12 on Amazon !!
If someone is interrested...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-VINYL-Le ... 005&sr=8-1
I told you when I came I was a stranger...
Davido

Post by Davido » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Nicolas wrote:A new release of this album seems to have been issued on LP on the 20th of April this year under Comubia label. It is listed at only £12 on Amazon !!
If someone is interrested...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-VINYL-Le ... 005&sr=8-1
This is not the LP,Nicolas, it's the 'record store day' 7" single with The Future and Suzanne.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14008&p=159859&hili ... ay#p159859
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
Terry Royle

Post by Terry Royle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Big Al,
I am very interested in THE FUTURE as advertised.
Can I make a opening bid of £55.
I am a Manchester man myself, after seeing the LC show last year
i followed them to calgary, edmonton, Ottawa, Venice, Nashville and St Louis.
I am currently planning some 2010 trips, yes Al i am a serious fan with a serious vinyl
adiction.
Please let me know my bid fairs at this point in time.
Regards,
Terry Royle.
drsing

Post by drsing » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi, I bought the one from BigAl, but copies sometimes appear for sale on eBay. There's one for sale in the UK right now, so hurry:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWAX:IT
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
drsing

Re: "The Future" Vinyl - NOT for sale

Post by drsing » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:26 pm

I came across a very rare Spanish version of The Future . I bought it, complete with Spanish lyrics inner sheet("El Futuro"). Here are some pictures, click to enlarge.
DSC09776.JPG
DSC09778.JPG
Attachments
DSC09780.JPG
Last edited by drsing on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
drsing

Re: "The Future" Vinyl KOREA

Post by drsing » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:29 pm

and a Korean pressing, including censorship... ;-)
DSC09279.JPG
DSC09282.JPG
DSC09281.JPG
click on the images to enlarge
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
valentin

Post by valentin » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:29 pm

Verde que te quiero verde...
drsing

Post by drsing » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:48 pm

Yes, that is the new 2012 release.
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund

Return to “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”