Muffins or War

This is for your own works!!!

Muffins (lightly toasted with perhaps a little strawberry jelly) or a *just* War with not very many casulaties

I prefer a Just war
21%
I prefer just muffins
79%

Total votes: 72
paula_hansen

Muffins or War

Post by paula_hansen »

There seems to be a division of opinion in this forum on the relative merits of muffins compared to war. I personally prefer muffins provided they are lightly toasted, perhaps with a little strawberry jelly. However, I also understand the merits of a *just* war which doesn't last too long and where the casualties are not too great.

I appreciate this is a hard choice, but if Leonard teaches us anything at all it is that you can be successful even with a gravelly voice.
Last edited by paula_hansen on Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Kind

Post by Stephen Kind »

this is brilliantly surreal. Well done! I vote muffins !
paula_hansen

Post by paula_hansen »

I notice that my bellicose namesake has no answer to the dilemma. Does she think that muffins would bring crumbs of comfort to the dying troops?
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Point of Order.
I believe this is a free vote?
It was Hitler who used to ensure that everyone voted, especially when he was the only candidate. Other dictatorial regimes still use the same methods.
In the former East Germany, when people attended the halls were voting took place, they found that the 'official' candidate had his ballot paper ready to be ticked at the front of the hall. Any other candidates had their ballot papers at the back of the hall, well away from the 'officials' and requiring a 'long walk' to cast a vote, also under the direct eyes of a policeman, who took their name as they voted for the non 'official' candidate.
It's a bit like walking past a sock shop and being asked which colour socks you want to buy. The red ones or the blue ones?
If you choose the red ones, you could be criticised for not choosing the blue ones. When to be perfectly honest, you don't want a pair of bloody socks in the first place!
Pardon my French. I know France is unpopular in some quarters at the moment. But then again they had to live under the boot of a dictator and the French know exactly what it is like to have to survive in terrible circumstances. If people have never even been in the kitchen and felt the heat, they shouldn't criticise those who have.
I'm happy to bring some idle banter into this thread because it was created in a semi-serious tone about the nastiness of war.
G-d bless all of Sadam's victims.
You know, I feel like I'm a victim of that bas---d. He's ruining my Karma and causing strife in this Forum.
I vote that we all go to Iraq and take him on personally.
linmag

Post by linmag »

I came across the following quote in a Reuters article on my web browser the day Robin Cook resigned.

"Aides believe Blair can ride the political damage as long as war in Iraq is short and does not result in the deaths of thousands of innocents or British soldiers."

Muffins every time for me!
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
David

Muffins?

Post by David »

This whole thing is looking, to me, more and more like a terrible case of Irritable Powell Syndrome.

David
"Nothing is said that is not sung."
paula_hansen

Post by paula_hansen »

I think you mean irritable bowel syndrome. watch the typos, David!

And anyway, I am not at all sure that muffins can cause that condition.

BTW I have reason to think that you didn't vote on the actual issue in my poll. I know that decisons like this are hard but a fence-sitter will never be comfortable.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Paula.....pleeeze tell me you're joking, and that you really did get David's joke. Given his typing abilities, a typo would be a last consideration, with your laughing long before you ever got to it.
David

Muffins

Post by David »

Personally, I'd think that dying with muffins on my lips seems rather pleasant -- better than having them caught in my throat, at any rate.

"A thousand muffins deep"?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, David, if you're gonna go for humour, you might as well go all out :lol: .
David

All Out

Post by David »

Lizzy --

Trust me, O Stranger At Your Wheel -- You do NOT want to ask a grizzled pub-crawling veteran of juke joints and blues bistros on backstreets from the Mississippi Delta to the West Side of Chicago to go "all out" on humor!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Touche ~ 8) ~ "all out" is definitely relative :shock: .
paula_hansen

Post by paula_hansen »

[quote="lizzytysh"]Paula.....pleeeze tell me you're joking, and that you really did get David's joke. Given his typing abilities, a typo would be a last consideration, with your laughing long before you ever got to it

now I am thoroughly confused. David makes an obvious typo and you defend him. He doesn't apologize and you offer him apeasement. stranger and stranger. and yet on the real issue of muffins v war the majority of the posters here daren't commit themselves.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Then, I shan't step in and try to clear your confusion, Paula 8) ~ may your poll continue to go swimmingly :wink: .
paula_hansen

Post by paula_hansen »

I think any confusion here mirrors in its ambivalence the deep reservations that so many of us have about the War. If Sadam wins there is no reason to think that he will be any kinder to his Nation that he has hitherto. I hardly think that he will be distributing free muffins.

and yet, if Blair wins, I have seen the distribution of Aid on the television, and it is clear to me that the parcels from the Red Crescent are not being shared equitably. Instead it seems to be a fight at the back of each lorry. The result? We can not guarantee that every Iraqi family will receive muffins.

On that basis the whole point of the War is negated, surely? That is why I, for one, support it.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”