Before You're Sixty-Four.

This is for your own works!!!
Cate

Re: Before You're Sixty-Four.

Postby Cate » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:07 pm

This is such a strange thread, I love reading through these old posts.
This place - the forum, was really my first encounter with the cyber world. I am so happy to have ‘met’ and met so many wonderfully interesting people.

xx
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:34 am

Dear Geoffrey,
I am not "Uffda1959", honest!
But it's good to correspond again in cyberspace, even though you're going over the same old ground. Geoffrey, you are stuck in a moral rant against a piece of poetry, mine to be exact.
If any sin was committed, was it in the head of the writer.....or the reader?
Discuss :? .
Andrew.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:02 am

Andrew McGeever wrote:
>you're going over the same old ground . . . you are stuck in a moral rant against a piece of poetry . . . If any sin was committed, was it in the head of the writer.....or the reader?

"you're going over the same old ground" might also have been your response to your parents' 'rant' when they tried to teach you morality; am i right? they were older than you, and 'old' in your opinion seems to have negative associations. it's as if you want as all to live in a modern community, one with open marriages, free love, a world of delinquency, free from sexual discipline. a veritable utopia for anarchistic lechers intent on pulling down society's pillars of stability. for this, undoubtedly, is what you promote in your work. i frowned very much when i read your verse, but could have accepted it had there been an element of regret. i do take solace, though, in the fact that someone can write a blatantly sordid "piece of poetry" and some time afterwards imply that the sin is "in the head of the reader". this suggests, perhaps, that there is a desire by the author to disown, or at least to distance himself, from the lascivious lifestyle to which he once subscribed.

Andrew McGeever wrote:
>I'd like to take you to a bed-
>and-breakfast place not far from town,
>and sign us in as Smith or Jones:
>no clues for partners, mum's the word.
>
>We'd lock the door, swap compliments
>about our looks, then gently
>unbutton each other; shed
>decades of separation.
>
>The hours would fly, and when it's late
>we'd share more tales about the boys,
>our bodies spoons for Sailing By.
>
>We'd be awake for breakfast:
>you, fresh fruit with bran flakes, me
>fried heart attack. Then kiss and go,
>but not before I whispered you
>
>were nearer and dearer to me
>than breakers crashing on the shore.
Oscotarach

Postby Oscotarach » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:23 am

It now gone quiet here Geoffry.That mean you is wins and Anrew MaCgrever is looser.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Oscotarach wrote:It now gone quiet here Geoffry.That mean you is wins and Anrew MaCgrever is looser.
hi there oscotarach. it is not a case of winning or losing, but how one behaves that counts. even if andrew concedes defeat in this discussion, one should still afford him the greatest respect for having participated thus far - for it has been said that i can be a formidable opponent.
fishfishquaileye

Postby fishfishquaileye » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
Oscotarach wrote:It now gone quiet here Geoffry.That mean you is wins and Anrew MaCgrever is looser.
hi there oscotarach. it is not a case of winning or losing, but how one behaves that counts. even if andrew concedes defeat in this discussion, one should still afford him the greatest respect for having participated thus far - for it has been said that i can be a formidable opponent.
don't take the compliment from the osteopath too seriously. he is famous for talking behind people's backs.

the only person who ever said you were a "formidable opponent" was a drunken teenage moron, wheelchair-bound, high on joss-sticks, and wearing the wrong size hat.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:19 pm

fishfishquaileye wrote:don't take the compliment from the osteopath too seriously. he is famous for talking behind people's backs. the only person who ever said you were a "formidable opponent" was a drunken teenage moron, wheelchair-bound, high on joss-sticks, and wearing the wrong size hat.
i'm burning up inside. am taking shock doses of vitamin c - with solhatt. i have a thundering headache, my body is trembling, i keep sneezing, my lips feel like sandpaper and my mouth is dry. i don't know what i'm doing half the time, i need to lie down, the room's spinning round.
fishfishquaileye

Postby fishfishquaileye » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:44 pm

My goodness, you are so right. I think this is caused by the stinking immorality of the so-called poem in this thread. How can anyone remain healthy in the presence of such filth. I wish you a full recovery from the degradation of the so-called "before you're sixty-four".
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Sat May 19, 2012 3:31 am

I have thought about this thread, long and hard. I asked before of any sin was in the mind of the writer or the reader. I realise my judgement was clouded by giving up smoking. My judgement was a little off and I apologise for any offence caused by the immorality of the writing

Andrew
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sat May 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Andrew McGeever wrote:I have thought about this thread, long and hard. I asked before of any sin was in the mind of the writer or the reader. I realise my judgement was clouded by giving up smoking. My judgement was a little off and I apologise for any offence caused by the immorality of the writing
this apology accepted, andrew - at least by me. but "long and hard" could be construed as too provocative a phrase by leonard's puritist fans - unless their judgement, too, is clouded by giving up smoking.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat May 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Andrew is no dummy ;-)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Sun May 20, 2012 1:19 am

The post attributed to me "I have thought about this thread....." was NOT written by me.
I want the moderators to trace the source of the post: I want to know who is impersonating me.
Andrew.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun May 20, 2012 4:59 am

oh dear, you've been hacked. not cool.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sun May 20, 2012 8:41 am

Andrew McGeever wrote:
>The post attributed to me "I have thought about this thread....." was NOT written by me.

Horror of horrors! It was quite witty, too.

>I want the moderators to trace the source of the post: I want to know who is impersonating me.

Instead of putting them to work, why not just get a proper password, Andrew? And I don't mean 'qwerty'. It's obvious the one you had was too easy. Someone has done you a favour.
Andrew McGeever

Postby Andrew McGeever » Sun May 20, 2012 10:21 am

Dear Geoffrey,
On this occasion I'll take your advice. ;-) .
Andrew.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”