Story D

This is for your own works!!!
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:24 am

Wow! This was yours, Byron? Now I'm sure I don't know you well enough. I loved this story. It is beautiful. And having the extra understanding from your post... doesn't add to it, no... illuminates it. :)

But it stands alone, without the explanation, as a lovely piece of writing, and I enjoyed it as such.

However - it does rather make my comment about 'Cohen only being peripheral to the story' look a bit silly, LOL! :lol:
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:38 am

Flo, I doubt that most people have had the chance or time, to read at length about lc's life. I am not the expert or authority on it. But I liked the idea of playing with time, lives, names, environment, and of course, freedom. Writing is usually one of the first things to suffer in a society that fears its own people. Hitler burned books. Ancient Greeks feared poets. Only a few! The written word arrived in Europe and caused massive shifts in balances of power. The Church kept a tight grip on latin for centuries in order to control its lands and powers. Deleted too much political stuff. Sorry.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Nan

Post by Nan » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:14 pm

Thanks for the insight into the names in your story, Byron. That does show real imagination and makes the story even better.
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:49 pm

Byron wrote:Flo, I doubt that most people have had the chance or time, to read at length about lc's life. I am not the expert or authority on it. But I liked the idea of playing with time, lives, names, environment, and of course, freedom. Writing is usually one of the first things to suffer in a society that fears its own people. Hitler burned books. Ancient Greeks feared poets. Only a few! The written word arrived in Europe and caused massive shifts in balances of power. The Church kept a tight grip on latin for centuries in order to control its lands and powers. Deleted too much political stuff. Sorry.
Erk... I could go about religion/politics (but especially religion!) at length - but this is not the venue! But I suspect our views might tally quite well. :wink:

BTW - I've been wanting a bio of Cohen for some time; can you recommend one?
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:19 pm

Whoops! Guess it's on to Story E ~ I've already commented on D!
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:50 am

Hi Fljots,

Ira Nadel writes a decent biography on LC called 'Various Positions'. It's 'fairly' recent and my Dr. liked it. I haven't read it, yet.

Linda.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:19 pm

Yes, a good read. Nadel also wrote 'Leonard Cohen, A Life In Art.' Robson Books: 1994. ISBN 0 86051 960 0

The 'Various Positions,' is Bloomsbury: 1996. ISBN 0 7475 2189 1

I hope you can find them. Trawl ebay. That's what my far, far, better half does.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
margaret

Post by margaret » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:13 am

or better than ebay, check out http://www.abebooks.com

or your local library might have one in storage if you ask nicely.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”