Story C

This is for your own works!!!
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:11 pm

Nan wrote:Can't say that I really care for this one. . When you begin to read it and one double entendre follows another, there's no longer any mystery to the story. Nothing unusual or surprising or meaningful. Just some silly smut/jokes. Just my opinion though.
my opinion too. I really must agree with Nan's wholly objective crit. I thought the very worst part, filled with smut and double entendre was when JJ reflected on the affair

"Hell, we were good, we were great! And we were ordinary. It was way bigger than it was and it was way smaller also. It was better than everything else I ever did and not as good as anything else I ever did. I’m glad we did it and who cares. We are talking so long ago now. My memory ain’t getting any better."

It wholly failed to capture the (imagined) voice of Janis Joplin and the dreadful pedestrian writing lowered the standard of the whole contest. There was simply no flow and anyone who read it must have yawned with boredom at its pace. It could never have reminded a reader of the uncertainty and mixed feelings people sometimes have as they look back.

In keeping with the spirit in which we approach the work of our fellow Cohen fans here the least we can do is ban the author from ever posting on this forum again.

I originally felt that our winner, Ali, should also be banned for making her absurd observation on this awful poem C "Come on OWN UP, it is Brilliant!".

And yet maybe we should reprieve her as she sets an example of offering an opinion uninfluenced by the identity of the writer. Just like you, Nan, of course.
Last edited by mickey_one on Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ali

Post by Ali » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:20 pm

I wish I had have thought of a "Dialogue of the Dead" for my subject. I still think the shy, young author should own up and take full credit for this winning entry :)
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:22 pm

Ali wrote:I wish I had have thought of a "Dialogue of the Dead" for my subject. I still think the shy, young author should own up and take full credit for this winning entry :)
Ali, please suspend all posting until Nan's final decision on whether you should be banned.
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:28 pm

Ali, a full textual analysis of the writing proves that this entry was from Jarkko. The heavy use of numbers shows an accdountant's love and when I completed reading the piece it was finish. Janis Joplin and Jarkko also share an initial, coincidence? I think not.

Jarkko, I know you are shy. For example, it took me tremendous effort to get you up on stage singing in a chorus at NY (please note, there will be no escape at Berlin either), but it is time for you to take a bow for this excellent piece, the Judge's choice for second place.

HATS OFF TO OUR CAPTAIN!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:40 pm

Thank you for citing my favourite passage in this "At last! We hear from Janis!" story 8) . I'm afraid I haven't gotten much past the identity-guessing and assarse-discussing and back into the meat of this piece, beyond being so glad to hear her side of things.

I love the way the ambivalence of life, not just one affair [yet, in this case, crucially to do with this affair], is portrayed in those point-counterpoint lines. As I read them, a different slant on their realities replaced the previous, all the way through it. On situations of questionable value, in our own lives, I believe we've all experienced this level of pondering, yet never so succinctly stated. Ambivalence is one of the more intrigueing states of mind. It always interests me to hear the reasons people have as they experience it, as it shows a certain level of objectivity, as well as [often] a glimpse into their deeper selves. It was wonderful 8) ! Silly smut/jokes? Well, life has those elements, as well. Far more than that, here, though. I disagree with you on this one, Nan.

This is all I have to say right now, as I'm already late for my second job. Should've left 5 minutes ago, and still not even ready :? .

~ Lizzy
Ali

Post by Ali » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:46 pm

Wow, do you really think it was our Jarkko who wrote story C :?: Mind you, upon delving a little deeper into your theory, you may be right. Do you think JANJ stands for Jarkko Arjatsalo Narrates Janis :?: :o
Last edited by Ali on Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:46 pm

I am sure that Jarkko will be really chuffed by your praise, Lizzy (or would he first have to know what "chuffed" means before he could feel it, hmmm I feel one of those "if a tree falls down in a forest and no-one is there..." moments coming on).
Last edited by mickey_one on Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:50 pm

Ali wrote:Wow, do you really think it was our Jarkko who wrote story C :?: Mind you, upon delving a little deeper into your theory, you may be right. Do you think JANJ stands for Jarkko Arjatsalo Narrates Janis :o
oh wow, like wow Man!!!!!!! the sky is falling, watch out everyone. your theory has, like, blown me away. Right On, Ali, you are so right, y'know, like the coolest dude in town!!!! You have so caught Jarrko's little trick, JANJ ha! we all know now what it means. JANJ Janis- Ali Neatly Joking. oh my head, I have got to lie down. wait, what are all those dancing fairys doing in my bed, here boys, here boys..
Diane

Post by Diane » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:15 pm

Story C, sorry for all the arsing about in your thread. I just re-read this story. It is pretty damn good. But Mickey, what on earth is the meaning of this? I have tried first letters, last letters, reading it arse about face and standing on my head.

Is it something like read every X number of words?? Am I even getting lukewarm?

Diane
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:23 pm

Diane wrote:Story C, sorry for all the arsing about in your thread. I just re-read this story. It is pretty damn good. But Mickey, what on earth is the meaning of this? I have tried first letters, last letters, reading it arse about face and standing on my head.

Is it something like read every X number of words?? Am I even getting lukewarm?

Diane
there are alternative theories.

Theory 1

the first letters of one of Janj's posts appear to point to a very popular member of this forum

"message in code? how appreciate every letter? curious ramblings is too intense combination to make immediate comprehension how an educated Laurie clearly ridiculous is trying in communicating to me. I can hear an explanation later 'cos really is time I cease too."

Theory 2

this is the work of Jarrko as explained in an earlier post of mine

"A full textual analysis of the writing proves that this entry was from Jarkko. The heavy use of numbers shows an accountant's love and when I completed reading the piece it was finish. Janis Joplin and Jarkko also share an initial, coincidence? I think not. "

I wavered between these 2 persuasive arguments but the official endorsement by Ali, the Winner of the competition, now convinces me that Story C was indeed the work of Jarkko.

I am so enjoying this discussion of all the fine efforts submitted. I only have 2 regrets, the intemperate comments of the forum's goat, and the fact that I had no time to myself enter the competition.
Diane

Post by Diane » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:12 pm

Mickey, I just checked back and no one has penetrated the code yet. If we already have MichaelCritictoo, what do we still need to know anyway? Maybe you have also written another of the stories :shock: ?

Lizzy I just saw your reply to me from yesterday. I'm glad we have come to some sort of assent on the topic. I think it's great the way the English language has evolved in such richness and variation all over the English-speaking world (with a great deal of input from so many other languages of course), and that we are able to enjoy each other's expressions. There is something appealing about turns of phrase which are not every-day familiar.

I sometimes think I would like to study etymology in another life. A couple of years ago I read a book about the history of the English language, and until then, to give one quick example, I hadn't realised the origin of the American "gotten" in place of our "got". Gotten sounds very archaic to us over here, and it is indeed from medieval english, and arrived with the English colonists in New England in the 17th Century and then remained unchanged. You also still use 'mad' in the sense of 'angry' as Shakespeare did. In the opposite direction, I just looked up that influential; reliable; grapevine; to advocate; to bark up the wrong tree; hangover; to knuckle down; lengthy; live wire; immigrant; hot air; to make up your mind, are all expressions that originated in the States and came back here.

Fascinating stuff 8) .

Diane
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:14 pm

Diane wrote:Mickey, I just checked back and no one has penetrated the code yet.
I sometimes think I would like to study entomology in another life.
Fascinating stuff 8) .

Diane
Never mind who wrote the damn story, who cares. (Come on Jarkko, admit it already)

I also think the scientific study of insects is wonderfully interesting

regards

michael
Diane

Post by Diane » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:24 pm

Hey, is it legal to edit someone's post before you quote it :shock: ?

Funny you should say that, insects are as endlessly fascinating to me as words are.

regards,

Diane
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:59 pm

Diane wrote:Hey, is it legal to eat someone's post before you quote it :shock: ?

Funny you should say that, insects are as endlessly fascinating to me as words are.

regards,

Diane
Diane, there have been many fad diets over the years. Your one does not sound first class.
Nan

Post by Nan » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:30 pm

Are you saying that you wrote this story Mickey? I thought the author might be either Teratagen or Peter Danielsen. Especialy since you wrote (after the contest was over) that you had not entered the contest. And you wrote "Now I really feel pi**ed that I didn't enter."

So if you did write this? Why all the coyness? And deception?

And My opinion (no matter who wrote it) is still that the story is too predictable. Just as when a person begins to tell an obscene joke his/her listeners' mind race ahead, knowing that the punch line is going to be something "dirty". Hence, no real surprise, the listeners' expectations have already been met. Just my critique.

P.S. Mickey, I am not the forum goat. Why do you find it necessary to ridicule anyone who has a different opinion from your own.
Last edited by Nan on Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”