a lot of activity

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: much activity

Post by Geoffrey »

dar wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:24 pm No surprise your mentee arrived here to mark his territory but looks as though there won't be time for you both to engage in a pleasant pissing contest like in the past. It's always enjoyable to watch you two cross streams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNSo1zvaLlE

(The chairs came out great.)
thanks, honeypot - both for your kind message and the video link.

i assume michael is going to use the time between now and october to sit in his local library and go through some books, so that he can broaden his knowledge and discuss topics on a more intellectual level. i have tried to gently nudge him in the right direction, and believe my efforts are finally paying dividends.
-----------------------------------------
new dylan-inspired anthology out now. my pictures have appeared in a number of books and magazines, but it never fails to make me feel honored.
hard rain.jpg
you may be workin' in a barbershop, you may know how to cut hair
(old sketch. not good, but who really cares!)
if everybody likes you, you're pretty dull.jpg
LisaLCFan

Re: little naivety

Post by LisaLCFan »

solongleonard wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:18 pm ...I will next post here towards the end of October 2022. Meanwhile, I will look for Lisa and I sincerely hope you have not destroyed her.
Hi SolongtimesinceIsawyouaroundhereleonard. I was not destroyed, just seriously put off, and thus I chose to do other things for a while. Tonight, I dropped in for the first time in weeks, and what a pleasant surprise to see your post -- I do hope that you are well!

Hello to the rest of you.
Geoffrey

Re: little negativity

Post by Geoffrey »

marriage is the tomb of love.jpg
AlanM

Re: little nativity

Post by AlanM »

solongleonard wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:18 pm I will next post here towards the end of October 2022.
I guess 'twill be October 28th.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Geoffrey

Re: much activity

Post by Geoffrey »

if it be your will, if there is a choice
there is a condition worse than blindness, and that is seeing something that isn't there.jpg
continuing my 'citizens of ålesund' series. this is from a visit to the chemist's :)
always laugh when you can, it is cheap medicine.jpg
you held onto me like i was a crucifix
an original idea. that can't be too hard. the library must be full of them.jpg
AlanM

Re: little activity

Post by AlanM »

dar wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:33 pm I think it's really cool that you will transition the train set to a canvas print of a favorite set of photos.
The wall art may likely go where a train set never could.
Thanks for sharing that info Alan. The next update must be a pic of the print!
Canvas print NZ panorama 40%.jpg
Here it is. We decided to get 2 prints of 12" X 40" rather than one of 9" X 60".
However, hanging them with a moderate gap didn't look good, so I have attached the frames together and will tolerate the obvious join.

In situ:
Canvas print NZ panorama 2 30%.jpg
Original:
Lake Hawea panorama 10%.jpg
Alan
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

looks fabulous, alan. doesn't matter at all about the seam; if anything it just enhances - encourages one to realise how big it is. did you join the two boxed canvases together at the back before hanging, or did you do it the hard way and hang them separately?

no sunshine with me yet today. horrible being stuck inside all morning with nothing to do. so here's the product of a bored mind :(
we are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.jpg
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:28 pm looks fabulous, alan. doesn't matter at all about the seam; if anything it just enhances - encourages one to realise how big it is. did you join the two boxed canvases together at the back before hanging, or did you do it the hard way and hang them separately?
Hi Geoffrey,
Thank you very much for your comment.
I joined the 2 frames by their contiguous edges, using 3 screw nails in a compression screw fashion, i.e. pre-drilled gliding hole at the head end, narrower hole at the pointy end. Initially I tightened the screws too much, resulting in a bit of bowing at the join, but I just backed off 1/8 of a turn and the whole thing is flat.
In doing many measurements before drilling holes in the wall, it was confirmed to me that there are no true vertical or horizontal surfaces in my house. This picture is probably the only level component in the whole place!

Best wishes,

Alan
dar

Re: a lot of activity

Post by dar »

The print is gorgeous. Great photo - great job assembling the wall hanging.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

dar wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:59 pm The print is gorgeous. Great photo - great job assembling the wall hanging.
Thank you, Dar.

Alan
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

i don't understand how your wall surfaces can be so uneven, alan. are they solid 'breeze block' walls covered with a layer of plaster, or simply cheap gyprock covered with lining paper? i did notice the hairline cracks in the image you posted, and wondered if they were due to settlement. this sometimes happens after a while if one has unstable foundations. the cracks do not look serious, but you could ask for advice from a surveyor just to be on the safe side. if there has been any construction work near to your home, especially if dynamite was used to clear rocks, that may be the cause of structural movement and you can arrange for a solicitor to seek compensation.

the reason i am concerned is because a couple of years ago i stayed in a house in oslo with my friend lahcen, and big cracks started appearing in the walls. as he lived on the ground floor of a large house we had to prop up the ceiling with RSJs using 'acrow props'. it was a dangerous time. lahcen has since moved and wants me to visit him again, and i will probably do so before the summer ends. oslo is a massive place, so clean, trains, trams, crowds of happy, helpful people, exhibitions, opera house, edvard munch museum, countless shops, nightlife, pavement cafes - i just totally love it!

i also noted your two empty picture frames, but didn't enquire because you had not mentioned them yourself - and eccentricity is no crime. i assumed their purpose was a private one, possibly symbolising an emptiness that you feel after losing your toy train. there is no need to be embarrassed, you can talk about it if you like - i observe but do not judge. i have hang-ups myself. when laying a table for guests i am careful not to let two knives touch themselves. also, if i see an ambulance i always turn my head so that i do not see it going out of view in the distance or around a corner. there are many other things to watch out for, and they all can bring bad luck.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Hi Geoffrey,
As with many Australian houses, mine has most of the internal walls constructed of a wooden frame covered by gyprock sheets. There tends to be a lot of ground movement here with very dry summers and quite wet winters, resulting in contraction and expansion of the clay subsoil. Thus generally these frame walls crack less than brick ones. The walls in the wet areas (laundry, shower, etc.) are brick with a plaster surface.
The cracking that you see is where many years ago, I made a groove to bury speaker cables when I was excited by surround sound. When I removed the wires, I didn't do a perfect job of filling the grooves and there has been a little cracking of the filler substance.
The empty frames you see are actually door frames and doors to what are the bedrooms that my children used to sleep in. So, nothing symbolic there.
We have lived in this house since 1976 and other walls were already occupied by other pictures. As this space was long enough, I decided it would be a suitable place for my panorama.
Happily there is no sense of loss or regret about moving the train, etc., on to new homes.
I take many photographs, but print very few. I mainly look at them on my computer screen or TV when I want to, but this compilation photo is very special. It has taken me nearly 14 years to get around to decide to make the print.
I have another photo of an island off Hydra that I would like to display, but I have not decided if there is a space to hang it.

Best wishes,

Alan
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you for replying, alan. please don't hesitate to hang your greek island photo in this forum, and if you write the name we can look it up on google maps. meanwhile, another of my notoriously dull fantasy sketches (there comes the 'imposter syndrome' again). hope you are well :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"looks like freedom but it feels like death, it's something in between, i guess"
i'm a thumbprint on the window of a skyscraper.jpg
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:10 pm please don't hesitate to hang your greek island photo in this forum, and if you write the name we can look it up on google maps. meanwhile, another of my notoriously dull fantasy sketches (there comes the 'imposter syndrome' again). hope you are well :)
Island off Hydra 35%.jpg
I particularly like this photo because of the multitude of colours of the rocks, the sea and the sky, also the way that the horizon is almost an extension of the shoreline of the island and barely perceptible.
Sorry, I don't know the name, it was one of the islands we passed on the round island boat trip in 2019, and I can't even remember how long into the journey it was.
I'm still contemplating where I would hang it if I do get a print made.

Do you really have "impostor syndrome" if you confess to having it?
Anyhow, I enjoy all your artwork.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

that's a lovely picture, alan. it's got some moss or shrubery growing on it. nice colours like you said, and a good camera you have. i have never been to greece and i think that people who have are lucky. mostly nowadays i just stay in this area where i live. now that covid has virtually gone from norway i could maybe go further again, but not abroad.

there is a friend i am in touch with living on hydra who might know the name of the island, but maybe it's not important. many people know him, his name is nikolas.

i will respond to your question about imposter syndrome a little later. it was a good question. thank you so much for showing the photograph and writing :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
not a law abiding citizen
i'm a cop, larry - i'm sorry.jpg
"i know that you can make it, make it on your own!"
i choose to see the beauty.jpg

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”