those images are not art, just pictures. call them illustrations, doodles, sketches, portraits, drawings, as you wish

This is for your own works!!!
solongleonard

those images are not art, just pictures. call them illustrations, doodles, sketches, portraits, drawings, as you wish

Post by solongleonard »

I am very interested to know which version of the classic song you all prefer. I was going to open a new poll but decided it would flood the airwaves to the dentistry of hundreds of others here, stubbornly determined to talk about Leonard Cohen

version 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO8yw-1 ... nyRosevear

version 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSKCEBZ ... nnor-Topic

I predict that many most will vote for Version 1, enjoying the sweet calmness of the presentation, the Jennifer Warnes of FBR. Version 2 is the HardCore version. Can you take that and survive?!
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
solongleonard

Re: those images are not art, just pictures. call them illustrations, doodles, sketches, portraits, drawings, as you wis

Post by solongleonard »

I think there is nothing wrong with retelling very old jokes
THEY MUST LEAD
LisaLCFan

Re: those images are not art, just pictures. call them illustrations, doodles, sketches, portraits, drawings, as you wis

Post by LisaLCFan »

Um, okay (to all of the above youtube links). :roll:

You guys really need to get a better hobby that does not involve dredging up the dregs on youtube and then inflicting them on us! Surely you can find something more worthy and enriching that you could be doing with your time.

Oh, and remind me never to click on another of your youtube links, unless you can assure me that you have raised your standards considerably (both of you!).
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

death to sliced carrots
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

death to sliced carrots, and this is the difference between me and Geoffrey
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:48 pm Oh, and remind me never to click on another of your youtube links, unless you can assure me that you have raised your standards considerably (both of you!).
in my defence, i am an inclusive person, and was just trying to sink down to a level that might appeal to any peasants amongst us.
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:06 am
LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:48 pm Oh, and remind me never to click on another of your youtube links, unless you can assure me that you have raised your standards considerably (both of you!).
in my defence, i am an inclusive person, and was just trying to sink down to a level that might appeal to any peasants amongst us.

Be Warned - Geoffrey has frequently sunk to the level of "exchanging peasantries", oh yes. Similarly, he also sinks to sliced carrots whilst refinement is the tone for the rest of us.
THEY MUST LEAD
solongleonard

Re: titled

Post by solongleonard »

Some years ago, I remember Geoffrey inviting title amendment, for porpoises of amusement, and in the days before International Terrapins. I thought to yourself at the time- here was Grace, here was calm and Zen, here was the man who takes ego out of the word forget, leaving us only with frt.

His words were "thank you, ONCE AGAIN, BASTARD MICHAEL, for altering the subject heading on MY POST on MY FORUM. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I HATE YOU."

However, the pointy is that I encourage you to stretchy your language in orders to retch the heights of my language fertilities.

Here is a 49.5 second adaption of my friends quote

Re: those are baked with margarine and are not tarts, just mature cheddar. call them ill or frustrations, noodles, ketchup, poor traits, duck wings, as you wish-bone

I have ended your day with wet and stale.

Good Night, G and Lisa. I hope at least 3 of you have worked out my apparent obsession with sliced carrots.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

for anyone who has a job that deals with law or justice. pointing a finger is not always so simple. i know that some people lack the mental stamina to sit though an hour long lecture, but please don't tell me i am casting a pearl before swine. reminded me of lillehammer, days at nansenskole humanistisk akademi - although the lectures there were about literature and the arts. enjoy :-)
https://youtu.be/kBdfcR-8hEY
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:44 pm for anyone who has a job that deals with law or justice. pointing a finger is not always so simple. i know that some people lack the mental stamina to sit though an hour long lecture...

I used to give three-hour lectures on this very subject. It has nothing to do with "pointing a finger" -- it's about how to live amongst others, how and why to consider the consequences of one's actions not just on oneself but on other people. Sensationalistic examples are used to get people's attention -- very few people will ever find themselves in such extreme circumstances that they have to decide who will live or die, right then and there.

The point is to get people -- all people, not just those who have jobs in law or justice -- to think about the greater good, not just about themselves, and to consider how one's actions might affect other people, and why that is something that people should perhaps care about. These kinds of discussions -- like the ones in that Harvard lecture -- try to teach people to think deeply about, and to formulate reasons and justifications for, the choices they make, taking into consideration many various factors, including what it would be like if everyone were to act the same way, how that would affect society as a whole, etc..

If you ask me, that is something that a lot more people should learn to do, especially when I look around and see a growing trend in the world of selfish individualism, in which the greater good is sacrificed in favour of narrow-minded self-interest (which, incidentally, often actually ends up hurting the selfish as much as everyone else, if not more).

I could go on, pretty much indefinitely, about these things .. (but I won't).
LisaLCFan

Re: Geoffrey's morality lecture

Post by LisaLCFan »

P.S. I did not watch the whole Harvard lecture (because I've heard it all before!), but from what I saw, the lecturer failed to note a very important point about the Utilitarian view he is discussing. He does accurately note that Utilitarianism suggests that the right/moral thing to do is that which creates the greatest amount of good (happiness, broadly defined) for the the greatest number of people, but Bentham and others also say that this must hold for the indefinite long run, and the lecturer did not mention that (as far as I could tell). So, it is not just immediate consequences that one must consider -- and not just the consequences for the few people who seem to be involved in his extreme cases of killing a person to save others -- but long-term consequences, and how that might affect many other people somewhere down the line, should also be taken into consideration.

For example, let's say that a group of people do decide to kill one of their group to save the rest of them. The immediate consequences seem to favour Utilitarianism -- only one person dies while several live, and so, the inference is that this promotes more happiness overall -- the survivors' happiness, the happiness of their friends and family, etc.. But, who is to say that the survivors will not suffer extreme guilt, PTSD, etc., after the incident, which could result in considerable unhappiness, for the rest of their lives? The resulting psychological harm may, in fact, greatly outweigh the immediate good of saving the majority by murdering an innocent person. The guilt-ridden, traumatised survivors may also have a negative impact on their own family and friends, creating even more unhappiness, it may negatively affect all of their relationships, their jobs, their entire lives (and not just their own lives) may be ruined because they chose, perhaps short-sightedly, to kill another person to save themselves, thinking that to be the best course of action, but in fact ending up living with what might ultimately be more unbearable and painful for them to endure.

And, of course, as I mentioned previously, one must also consider the wider, societal implications of one's actions, and whether the precedent that may be set by a particular course of action will, in fact, promote the greatest good (for the greatest number), or whether it will ultimately result in more overall harm, for more people, in the long run. Do we want it to be okay for individuals to make spur-of-the-moment decisions, perhaps under extreme duress, to kill an innocent person, particularly when their reasoning faculties may not be operating at maximum capacity? A thoughtful, clear-thinking individual -- including a Utilitarian -- may see a severe problem with arguing that such actions will promote the greatest good, when it actually appears that it could result in an incredible amount of harm for a greater number of people overall.

Cheers!
solongleonard

your thighs are not art

Post by solongleonard »

your real point, I inform you, is that Ben Shapiro and even Jordan Petersen, are good speakers. If you don't have a pair of good speakers then the turntable is ear-elephant. I know that as I have a turntable outside my front door which thusly allows me to drive straight out of the gate not reverse into the flower beds. You have both been consistently quiet on this subject. Ha! so now we understand your fray ill teas
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

arrived home a short while ago and have read through what has been written. it strikes me that no matter what a person decides to do, there will almost certainly be good argument saying it might have been better to have done it another way. so complex it is, at least in some cases and with my limited brain capacity, to know where to place blame. a judge and jury have to announce guilty or not guilty. i can't remember the speaker saying what conclusion the judge arrived at regarding the men in the boat, but that was an extreme case where it was virtually impossible to choose between black and white. a compromise is not available in every case, which is why married life, which demands continual adjustment of behaviour, can be hard and frustrating work.

the dilemma of 'splitting', as psychologists call it, the black & white/good vs evil "he-who-is-not-with-me-is-against-me" situation. i think this is partly what is at the root of DPD disorder, a reluctance or inability to make a decision, because actions have consequences, responsibility demands courage, and someone's always going to object. leonard has been quoted as saying: "it doesn't matter what you do because it's going to happen anyway." - and that is a good argument for doing whatever one feels like doing - whether it is something or nothing.

thank you for writing so intelligently, lisa - and apologies for the deteriorating english. not a language that is used every day. i am getting old, and it has been a long 24-hours.
-----------------------------------
solong, thank you for another message. i am sure i speak for everyone when i say it's always good to see you participating in this forum. i don't like it when you are away for lengthy periods. it is fine to immerse yourself in your work, but if you wish to give nourishment to your spirit then leisure time is also quite important. there is more to life than making money ;-)
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:17 am there is more to life than making money ;-)

there is an old saying - "good night".
THEY MUST LEAD

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”