never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Geoffrey » Wed May 22, 2019 11:51 pm

". . . on vocals and composition, co-writer of 'everybody knows', 'my secret life', 'waiting for the miracle', 'alexandra leaving', 'boogie street' and so many other tunes that i'm honoured to sing, my friend and collaborator, the incomparable sharon robinson!" -leonard cohen
artificial light.jpg
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sun May 26, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sun May 26, 2019 2:34 pm

earlier picture taken in artificial light, this one in natural sunlight is better - but i am still in two minds about going over it.
incomparable.jpg
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sun May 26, 2019 8:38 pm

simple 'comic book' pic, best viewed from a distance ;)
watercolour.jpg
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Mon May 27, 2019 5:13 am

"are you a teacher of the heart? yes, but not for thee."
rabbi.jpg
Sideways

Postby Sideways » Mon May 27, 2019 10:42 pm

one of the delights of your series is how you illustrate words taken from Cohen songs. I have held a number of unofficial meetings which have discussed particularly evocative but tricky descriptions used by the Artist. By a clear majority of 4-4 the 6 of us that attended the last such official meeting now set you a very tough target indeed!

would you be willing to grant the dream of our 10 members and draw Boogie Street.
Last edited by Sideways on Tue May 28, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Tue May 28, 2019 12:53 am

Sideways wrote:
>You will certainly earn the gratitude and the respect of all 12 of us if you can draw a typical travelling troubadour making his sticky way amongst piles of nasal mucus.
---------------------------------------------
good to receive a fresh dose of witticism from you, dear friend.
i see you've been reading about the gentleman who became stuck when crossing his kitchen floor,
although his struggle was not caused by "piles of nasal mucus".
beautiful losers.jpg
here is a rare image of the author, known colloquially as 'laughing len',
that i laboured upon, especially for you, for many a long hour.
happy.jpg
Sideways

Re: never-ending scullery

Postby Sideways » Tue May 28, 2019 9:28 am

my title explains his problems.

we, the committee of 18 members (hardly like some shy one at an orgy) are very grateful for your response. We have also edited away the disgusting imagery of my last post which was the result of heavy drugs following a shoulder op last Thursday.

Off to Lagos, Portugal on Thursday then Hydra next week to recover. Lost 4 kilos since the op, careless and skinny now.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Tue May 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Sideways wrote:
>. . . the disgusting imagery of my last post which was the result of heavy drugs

don't fret, my friend. there is a theory that some people become more charming when on drugs or alcohol (i know you don't touch the latter), while others more disgusting. the theory is that drugs and alcohol possibly accentuate a person's inner character - i have no idea. all i know is that i am always exceptionally nice no matter what i do.

>Off to Lagos, Portugal on Thursday then Hydra next week to recover. Lost 4 kilos since the op, careless and skinny now.

wishing you a pleasant convalescence, but why hydra? leonard is not there any more, so what is the psychology behind such a pilgrimage? there are so many other better greek islands to choose from: santorini, mykonos, crete, naxos, antiparos, etc.
could someone enlighten me?
Sideways

Postby Sideways » Wed May 29, 2019 12:40 am

I asked the other 150 trippers to meet me in North London and they said "no". Led by the notorious Y onny Y arkko, they just outright refused my entreaties. Thusways I had no choice but to drag the mountain to Mohammed. I like 149 of them, ( I disapprove of the desperate stalker who used to be a flyweight ninny chasing J for years) and there it is. We can't remember his name but he acted like a complete hydiot. So, the unsurprising truth is confirmed. I wish to meet the nice folk. They will form an orderly queue to anoint my left shoulder with beautifully perfumed oil. I welcome their generosity and I will make diary anointments on the half hour.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Wed May 29, 2019 5:10 pm

Sideways wrote:
>So, the unsurprising truth is confirmed. I wish to meet the nice folk.
-----------------------------------
there have been many intellectual debates based upon the definition of truth, so congratulations on finally having nailed it down.

most people during brief social encounters act 'nice', my naive friend - including the most manipulative of sociopaths. one has to be a competent student of the human condition, like myself, in order to ascertain a person's true personality. just because someone likes the same kind of music as yourself it doesn't automatically mean they are good. the best way to discover if a person is nice is to watch them when they are in an uncomfortable situation - observe how they react. had i craved visceral thrills and hedonistic pursuits, i may have joined you on this trip to hydra and provided guidance concerning interaction with strangers. as that is not the case, please remember that many of those you meet will almost certainly be false, and your job is to examine their body language, lift their masks and weigh them all up. good luck.

another very quick sketch before you go :-) :
-------------------------------------------------------------
"my voice just happens to be monotonous and somewhat whiney, so they are called sad songs - but you could sing them joyfully too. it's a completely biological accident that my songs sound melancholy when i sing them" - new musical express - 1972
biological accident.jpg
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:03 pm

"i'd like the stuff i do to have a kind of horizontal immediacy
rather than something that is going to be around for a long time.
i'm not interested in an insurance plan for my work."
[cbc tv interview -1966]
multicolour.jpg
Sideways

Soon ending sale of old sketches. Bye now, bye

Postby Sideways » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:27 am

Geoffrey suggested I visit the following Greek islands - “ spaghettini mickeyoneos Liverpool nachos antiparrots I know each of them well and will give you a short guide*

* please note the short guide is over 14 and has parental consent

Spaghettini is the skinny version of spaghetti and thus helps weight loss. It is at its best in a white door-step sandwich coated with ice cream and smeared with goose fat

Mickeyoneos is the tribute island given by Leonard Cohen to his hero and inspiration for the lyrics of his finest work, the witty “Tapioca Trailer”

Liverpool is the desert island which has no music history nor Sporting achievement. Its inhabitants will always “walk alone”.

Nachos - this island comes in many different flavours and sizes

Antiparrots is an island dedicated to Leonard’s hatred of birds
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:37 pm

Sideways wrote:
>Geoffrey suggested I visit the following Greek islands: spaghettini, mickeyoneos, Liverpool, nachos, antiparrots. I know each of them well and will give you a short guide . . .
-------------------------------------------------------
thank you so much, sideways. would you like to read something that leonard said in an interview in 1979? ok then.

"the sexual embrace is beyond self. you don’t exist as you. your partner doesn't exist as your partner. that is the place we all come from. then we come back to life. zero or emptiness is absolute when we don't have any questions. the self we have is just the result of a question. the question is: who am i? so we invent a self, a personality. we sustain it, we create rules for it. when you stop asking those questions in those moments of grace, as soon as the question is not asked and the dilemma is dissolved or abandoned, then the true self or absolute self rushes in. that's our real nourishment. a real religious education makes that experience available to people. the kinds of religious education available today are mostly concerned with a very specific definition of what god is. just to define god specifically is a great mistake. it's better to have a kind of education that doesn't even mention god, that allows people to experience that absolute, or the dissolution of the particular self."

he also said: "good things happen when you stop thinking about yourself." i'd wager he's not far off the mark there, either! :-)

here's a computer picture for you to look at :-)
geoffrey's computer art.jpg
Sideways

Re: never-ending holidays

Postby Sideways » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:43 am

a couple of seasons ago I went with Todd Sloan, Jack Jones, and Mary Malone, to Tenerife for my traditional “over-work, get away before you implode” short break.

After a while, as is my nature, I got bored being on my own. I went for a walk with another hotel guest, young Harry recently widowed, in his 80’s.

Probably related this story before but I live it. Harry asked me as we strolled, “do you read, Sideways?”.

I told him I hadn’t finished a book I started in 2015. He told me recently read the Bible and stated this rather controversial view, “ that Jesus, he was a good man wasn't he, Sideways”.

Geoffrey, you are an historian and a lay preacher. Do you believe Harry might have an argument?
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Sideways wrote:
>Geoffrey, you are an historian and a lay preacher. Do you believe Harry might have an argument?

well no, not with me he won't have no argument because i don't know nothing about none of that, and even if i did i wouldn't argue about none of it. all you should have done was told him to stop being such a thick twat, then kindly delivered a well-earned backhander across the imbecile's kisser - that's what jesus would have done.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”