never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

hello again,alan. that oscar wilde line i was not familiar with, but then again i am not really a well-read intellectual type. i like mostly just watching action movies and going out to different places where there's people so i can talk and listen. have to go out again shortly, towing a broken down car from the town centre to a place where it can be repaired.
----------------------------------------------
hope to get some free time tomorrow, but in the meantime here is a pic taken a couple of hours ago. grandchild number nine arrived a few days ago. left to right: jonas and isaac with their grandfather :)
number nine.jpg
do you come back to bring your prisoner wine and bread?
who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.jpg
i feel spaces opening up inside of me like a building with rooms i've never explored.jpg
hello. i think this picture of audrey will be appearing in a publication later this year. it was especially asked for by an american author, and though i normally do not accept requests, mostly because of what leonard said ("i don't want to work for pay, but i want to be paid for my work."), this time, due to the fact that audrey regretted pushing that cat out of the taxi at the end of breakfast at tiffany's, i made an exception. it is 10:30 on a friday morning here, can't see the mountains because of low clouds, a damp drizzly day. at 12:00 noon i am meeting a friend at a cafe, so have to shower and psyche myself up. never be offended with anything i might write, it is just how i am, not perfect, there is no malice behind it. i think i am better at talking than writing, maybe because then people can feel the warmth that emits from my personna regardless of clumsy words. i have a lot of friends, both sexes, a huge network, we almost never fall out. have to go now. wishing everyone a blessed day :-)
https://youtu.be/g1h979N1t9M
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lady with good taste in art ;)
elegant lady.jpg
one hour ago :-)
2021 sep 10.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

The following has been edited for content.

I was going to submit one of my rather characteristic sarcastic posts in response to geoffrey's last two posts. However, I am aware that sarcasm can sometimes be construed negatively, interpreted as being not very nice, and I'd rather be nice. Therefore, in my attempts to be less sarcastic in my interactions with other people, I deleted what I had originally planned to post (including a snarky subject line).

I cannot guarantee that my sarcasm will not resurface in future posts, particularly in response to geoffrey (who, for some reason, often seems to provoke that reaction in me), but for today, I shall simply wish geoffrey and everyone else an excellent weekend!

Cheers -- and, if at all possible, do more of what makes you happy!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:19 pm . . . in my attempts to be less sarcastic in my interactions with other people, I deleted what I had originally planned to post (including a snarky subject line).

I cannot guarantee that my sarcasm will not resurface in future posts, particularly in response to geoffrey (who, for some reason, often seems to provoke that reaction in me), but for today, I shall simply wish geoffrey and everyone else an excellent weekend!

Cheers -- and, if at all possible, do more of what makes you happy!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
interestingly, people frequently use sarcasm as a tool to provoke a reaction, so touché to that.

the problem with sarcasm is that it often relies heavily upon intonation, thus it's more difficult in the written word to detect whether it's being offered aggressively or playfully. however, the psychological profiles i have long since compiled, based upon forum interactions, allows me to understand, with some degree of accuracy, the intention or motivation behind messages.

your 'deleted' message almost certainly still exists safely in a word-file. i would admire you if you dared to post it, but will respect your decision should you refrain from doing so. the choice is yours, i have no preference. in any case, you will be happy to know that sarcasm is generally a tool for quick-thinking intelligent people, which is probably the reason why i cannot remember ever having used it myself ;)

finally, it was a real pleasure to read your message, the amount of honesty, almost a critical self-examination - and that is not something that comes easy to a lot of people. i often wonder if you are aware of how highly you are appreciated.

thank you, lisa, and an excellent weekend to you, too! :)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:42 am in any case, you will be happy to know that sarcasm is generally a tool for quick-thinking intelligent people, which is probably the reason why i cannot remember ever having used it myself ;)
A quote I read some time back appears to be pertinent here:
Tact is for those who don't have the wit for sarcasm.

That amused me - you can probably tell, as I remembered it.

As we say in Oz, "Aveagoodweegend".

Alan

p.s. I'm certainly NOT implying that you are without wit. I love your sensauma.
Last edited by AlanM on Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:42 am ...your 'deleted' message almost certainly still exists safely in a word-file...

No, it's gone -- I don't write drafts in Word, I just use this forum's reply box and type away, and then sometimes I submit what I write (or parts thereof -- some bits often get deleted), while other times I just delete the whole thing and log out, such that no-one even knows that I'd been here. What motivates me to post or not to post what I've written varies considerably, depending on a variety of things, as does the intention/motivation behind the actual words I write (and those intentions/motivations can change during the time that I am writing a post, resulting in some or all of it being deleted if it no longer serves my -- or any -- purpose).
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:44 am No, it's gone -- I don't write drafts in Word, I just use this forum's reply box and type away, and then sometimes I submit what I write (or parts thereof -- some bits often get deleted), while other times I just delete the whole thing and log out, such that no-one even knows that I'd been here. What motivates me to post or not to post what I've written varies considerably, depending on a variety of things, as does the intention/motivation behind the actual words I write (and those intentions/motivations can change during the time that I am writing a post, resulting in some or all of it being deleted if it no longer serves my -- or any -- purpose).
ok, i understand. i just think it's unfair the way i have to hold fort and take all the responsibility while solong goes galavanting off, and then when he does actually decide to come sauntering in he gets the full red carpet treatment - that's all. i know you've always liked him more than me.
-----------------------------------
shocking the way some people scribble over lovely old magazines :(
old magazine.jpg
close-up.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:02 pm ...[re:] solong... i know you've always liked him more than me...

No, I pretty much dislike both of you equally. ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:00 pm I pretty much dislike both of you equally.
well, as an experienced psychologist familiar with the erratic workings of the feminine mindset, i can fully embrace such a response with graceful acceptance. however, i sincerely doubt that solong possesses enough class to be equally as understanding.
--------------------------------------------------
"children show scars like medals, lovers use them as secrets to reveal."
well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into.jpg
AlanM wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:28 am A quote I read some time back appears to be pertinent here:
Tact is for those who don't have the wit for sarcasm.

That amused me - you can probably tell, as I remembered it.

As we say in Oz, "Aveagoodweegend".

Alan

p.s. I'm certainly NOT implying that you are without wit. I love your sensauma.
thank you, alan - and i apologise for not seeing your message before now. yes, i did have a good weekend, apart from several horrible things that happened. i can't remember having sung a cover version of zucchero's 'senza una donna' - but am still glad you liked it. i made friends with a man from australia recently. he was at a religious meeting, attended last saturday as a matter of fact. we talked about genesis, kangaroos, koala bears and australian movies. he said meryl streep's 'a cry in the dark' was the best movie ever, and i said no, nicholoas hope's 'bad boy bubby' beats that hands down. i took offence when he said anyone who likes that movie must be sick. it was the way he said it, like an insult. i just moved my chair back to where it was. can't stand priggish people.
https://youtu.be/cmtSnh1nOZ4
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:50 pm
LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:00 pm I pretty much dislike both of you equally.
well, as an experienced psychologist familiar with the erratic workings of the feminine mindset, i can fully embrace such a response with graceful acceptance. however, i sincerely doubt that solong possesses enough class to be equally as understanding.

I am so relieved to hear that. As for solong, I'm not worried about his response -- he's around here so seldom that my post will likely go completely unnoticed by him.

By the way, your latest portrait of Leonard is a "nice mess" -- interesting choice of colours. Did they reflect your mood at the time, or were they simply a random selection? (Of course, those two possibilities are not necessarily exhaustive). I sometimes feel a bit blue myself, and when I was a teenager, I contemplated dying my hair green (but only if I got a mohawk -- neither ever happened). I sometimes think that if my hair ever turns grey/white, I'll die it (oops, I mean "dye") bright blue -- neither has happened, yet, but if both occur, I'll be sure to post a picture.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:26 pm By the way, your latest portrait of Leonard is a "nice mess" -- interesting choice of colours. Did they reflect your mood at the time, or were they simply a random selection?
thank you. if one divides paints or crayons into three categories (pale/medium/dark) - the colours one chooses become more or less unimportant, as learned when making WPAP portraits. i am not an expert on this, but am of the opinion that it doesn't really matter which colour goes where, just as long as one respects those three categories.

there is nothing else to think about, except maybe to remember that perfect pictures do not usually make one think of contemporary art.

i'll be back when i can, but was so happy to see you had written :-)
----------------------------------
from the pic you posted that seems now to have disappeared (you were holding a classical guitar), i noted that you had good quality dark hair. different colour hair and styles, even punk/mohawk, enrich the lives of everyone who sees them. anyone who feels like changing their appearance should do so, although i must say in that pic with the guitar and radiant smile you seemed to look fine just as you were :)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:50 pm we talked about genesis, kangaroos, koala bears and australian movies. he said meryl streep's 'a cry in the dark' was the best movie ever, and i said no, nicholoas hope's 'bad boy bubby' beats that hands down. i took offence when he said anyone who likes that movie must be sick. it was the way he said it, like an insult. i just moved my chair back to where it was. can't stand priggish people.
https://youtu.be/cmtSnh1nOZ4
Aah, Geoffrey, I must pull you up on a scientific definition there.
Koalas are Koalas, not Koala Bears. They are marsupials, and are not related to bears found elsewhere in the world.
In Oz, some people try to scare tourists by referring to them as "drop bears", of which they are neither. As I just mentioned, they are not bears and neither do they drop out of trees and savage foreign tourists. I sincerely doubt that they are able to distinguish an Australian (of any ancestry) from, say, a Norwegian tourist with a great skill in drawing Leonard Cohen.
These critters are usually continuously sozzled from the fermentation of eucalyptus leaves within their digestive systems.
FYI kangaroos, and similar, fart and burp a much lower proportion of greenhouse gasses than most other common herbivores, although I doubt any macropod would be a common sight in Scandanavia.

Best wishes, as always,

Alan

p.s. I wasn't enamoured with "bad boy bubby" and I am unaware of "a cry in the dark".
For an amusing Oz film, see if you can find "the castle" somewhere. Great funny story with lots of Oz colloquialisms.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

just going out, alan. that was a jolly interesting post, one that i will return to in the near future. i actually have a private picture somewhere of leonard and a bear. will see if i still have it, but it means searching several old external hard-drives. meanwhile . . .
------------------------------------
two deleted verses from 'lover, lover, lover', written at the time leonard was entertaining the troops in israel during the yom kippur war.

i went down to the desert
to help my brothers fight.
i knew that they weren't wrong
i knew that they weren't right.
yes and lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover come back to me.

but bones must stand up straight and walk
and blood must move around.
and men go making ugly lines
across the holy ground.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:23 pm ...from the pic you posted that seems now to have disappeared (you were holding a classical guitar), i noted that you had good quality dark hair...

That pic is still there, and now it's here (may as well give our audience someone to look at other than you!). Yes, my hair is dark brown, albeit with a quietly increasing sprinkling of white.

Lisa.JPG
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi everyone,
Alan and Geoffrey,
All that talk about koalas has reminded me of a photo of Leonard when he was touring here in Australia in 2009.
It was taken at Rochford Wines, Yarra Valley, Victoria. At the time I said on Dr H Guy’s site that he looked like a koala. It appears he was trying to keep his nose from being sunburned by attaching a gum tree leaf on it ;-)

2009 jan 23rd Rochford wines, Coldstream, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Aust.jpg

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:13 pm two deleted verses from 'lover, lover, lover', written at the time leonard was entertaining the troops in israel during the yom kippur war.
Geoffrey,
I’m interested to know if those two verses of Lover, Lover, Lover are officially documented anywhere or not.
If possible, please let me know either way, thanks.

and Lisa, I remember that photo 8)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”