never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:03 am Oh, I don't know about that -- I think you overestimate people's abilities (latent or otherwise). I've met a few startlingly untalented individuals. Unfortunately, they were amongst those who believed of themselves what you have suggested applies to "everyone".
hei, lisa. i am in bed now, room is dark. awake because couldn't sleep due to heartburn. was just checking the time on my phone when there popped in a notification that there was a reply to one of my messages. i have to keep my phone on all the time because my youngest daughter is reaching full term in her pregnancy, and should contractions begin - or if the water breaks - i might be required to drive her quickly to the hospital before the cervix dilates to 10 centimeters. have put a couple of bricks under the legs of my bed at the pillow end so as to make it slope. i read on youtube that heartburn discomfort can be alleviated by not laying one's body flat, so that is why i raised one end. something to do with the gravitational pull. apparently the valve at the bottom of my esophagus doesn't close properly sometimes, allowing stomach acid to leak through. anyway, that's why i am not asleep at 3:00am.

i do indeed have a tendency to overestimate people's abilities, but that is probably due to being born with a positive nature, believing everyone has potential, seeing the best in people. you could be right that everyone is a slight exaggeration, but i witness almost every day people doing things that i have not managed to do with any degree of success. could be something such as baking a cake, arranging a vase of flowers, comforting someone in a crisis - a thousand different things. yes, there are, of course, individuals who fail to make a good impression on others, and i might well be amongst them, but it's not always easy to assess hidden capabilities through mere casual acquaintance. all i know from experience is that i am quite hopeless at so many things that people around me can do effortlessly, and this makes me believe that were they given the right encouragement they could go even further. if i had enough time and enthusiasm, i could surely master baking a cake, etc. - but i don't see the necessity. there are women around me who are experts at such artistry, and they are pleased and complimented by seeing me enjoy eating their creations. mind you, i do occasionally make a delicious chicken biryani complete with papadoms and mango chutney :)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I hope you feel better and can get some sleep.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:16 am I hope you feel better and can get some sleep.
oh yes, i am fine, lisa -thank you. cannot remember ever having slept more than an hour - or maybe two - at a time. the heartburn is nothing to be anxious about, it doesn't last long. uncomfortable at the time but goes over quickly. a lot of symptom reducing medicines on the market, yet after reading about them in various medical compendiums an alert mind can ascertain that the benefits are outweighed by the harm.

in any case, unless one has a vegetative nature, sleep is a boring and highly passive 'activity'. it takes great bites out of one's existence.
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending unfoundery

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:18 pm ...cannot remember ever having slept more than an hour - or maybe two - at a time... unless one has a vegetative nature, sleep is a boring and highly passive 'activity'...
Hmm -- I never considered myself to have a vegetative nature, but apparently, by your assessment, I do.
solongleonard

Re: never-ending unfoundery

Post by solongleonard »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:22 pm
Geoffrey wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:18 pm ...cannot remember ever having slept with more than four - or maybe two - at a time... unless one has any vegetable manure, sleep is a boring and hugely massive 'activity'...
Hmm -- I never considered myself to have any vegetable manure, but apparently, by your allotment, I do.

the conversation between Sir Christopher Wren, boasting about his size, and Lady Windemere's cousin going all gaga, is getting weirder and weirder. May I remind you that this corner of the Forum is dedicated to creative work by "members".

there is an undertone of "filth" in the writing of your strange messages. I disapprove of that and ask you both to stop. NOW!
Last edited by solongleonard on Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending weirdery

Post by LisaLCFan »

Leave it to solong to inject some much-needed gravity into the conversation. Virtuous and erudite members like him are fine examples for the rest of us to try to emulate (at least, when we are not engaged in boring and vegetative so-called activities like sleep).

Your subservient cabbage,
L
solongleonard

Re: ever-bending spoon Gellery

Post by solongleonard »

There's a shoal of fish who believe that Uri is a fake. I have seen his metal work on Radio and can assure you that he may be. I don't like to be dildotic about such delicate creatures of the controverseas. In the end, how much do you care? I don't care at all. In many ways, my beauty is a burden. Life is a lot easier for other people who post here.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

bricks in a wall.jpg
pieces of old cardboard can be useful :)
goodnight, malaysian 370.jpg
nice picture hanging at my local police station. unfortunately can't make out the signature :(
police.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

'geoffrey's apple addiction'
first remove the cores from a few granny smith's apples. slice them up, you can leave the peel on unless you are one of those fussy types. throw them into a pyrex dish followed by a sprinkling of almonds that have been chopped up in a kenwood chef mixer. then squeeze a load of jiffy lemon in the mix. then add a small amount of melted butter, a handful of raisins, some oatmeal, soft brown sugar, liquid honey and half a glass of water. stir it all up, sprinkle cinnamon on the mix, put the pyrex lid on - or tin foil if you haven't got one - and then stick the whole mess into a hot oven. usually takes about 20 minutes before it turns into an irresistible dessert fit for a king, but you can check it every five minutes just in case. serve to your guests with fresh cream, custard or just vanilla ice cream, and i guarantee you will have friends for life.
i have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever.jpg
i did not have sexual relations with that woman.jpg
night comes on.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

it would be difficult to find an artist who suffered as much as this guy :(
sadness.jpg
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Greetings, Geoffrey,
I continue to enjoy your postings.
The following arrived in my mailbox this morning and I thought it might amuse you:
In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages and e-mails have long forgotten the art of capital letters. For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement:

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Are we clear?

Hmmm?

Best wishes, as always,

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

AlanM wrote:
>Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

hello chum. i do get your point. capital letters might be valuable in this particular instance, providing one is equipped with an unusually vulgar mind. however, more important than capital letters is communication, written or spoken. no one should feel they need to be perfect in order to make contact with someone else. it is allowed to be an individual in a flock, someone unbound by rules or who doesn't need to be told what to do. without people who dare to sidestep the norm, society and the arts would contain a greater dullness; there would be less to discuss. we would not even have this conversation.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:42 pm providing one is equipped with an unusually vulgar mind.
i'm fairly sure i fit that parameter. the statement amused me and i just wondered what your response might be - laughter, smile, neli, disgust, etc.?
i appreciate your creative talents and your eccentricities and enjoy our occasional brief minor banters.

best wishes,
alaN
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

AlanM wrote:
>i'm fairly sure i fit that parameter. the statement amused me and i just wondered what your response might be - laughter, smile, neli, disgust, etc.? i appreciate your creative talents and your eccentricities and enjoy our occasional brief minor banters.

thank you for replying, alan - and for the encouragement. some time ago i asked my father's third wife, who was with him at the hospital, if he'd said anything special before he died. she said that his last words were: "only cook one, i shan't be home."

i just wanted to share that with you.
---------------------------
here is a quote from stephen hawking that i wrote down and stuck on the fridge because it reminds me to stay positive :)
handwriting.jpg
naive art
boa constrictor.jpg
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

i presume you are aware of the oscar wilde line:
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
it is similar to the hawking quote.
it comes from lady windermere's fan and there is a short dissertation on it here:
https://www.quora.com/What-does-this-Os ... -the-stars

best wishes and keep posting,

alaN

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”