never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending gallery?

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:33 pm ...someone here once said: people believe what they want to believe...
Yes, and I also recall "someone" here referring to someone else here as a "pompous wind-bag". I can't imagine why that has recently come to mind... :neutral:

(Thu Apr 02, 2015 https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 23#p352423) :twisted:
B4real

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by B4real »

Yeah, I know it's a bit early for this but I feel the need to spread some good cheer :)

never-ending-gallery-santa-painting-2021.jpg
"You kick off your sandals ...
There’s silt on your ankles and sand on your feet"...
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
mat james

Post by mat james »

I get the feeling that Michael is Geoffrey...
Crazy as that may seem...

What's up, Michael ????
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:37 am ...I feel the need to spread some good cheer :) ...
That is so cute and cheerful -- thank you, Bev! :D
B4real

Post by B4real »

My pleasure, Lisa!
It's always nice to supply the Never-Ending Gallery with an image. I had fun putting it together.

...and I've just remembered that last year Santa was on holidays again in the tropics, having fun in the surf down-under - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... ta#p373293
Maybe he simply needs a break from that freezing cold at this time of the year in the Northern Hemisphere ;-)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote:It's always nice to supply the Never-Ending Gallery with an image. I had fun putting it together.
these pictures that you and lisa post from time to time are the ones that give real substance to this column. thank you, bev.
----------------------------------------------
"i'll never see a face like yours in years of men to come"
creasy's art is death, and he's about to paint his masterpiece.jpg
nothing has caused the human race so much trouble as intelligence.jpg
no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"you wouldn't like it here, there's not much entertainment and the judgements are severe"
every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:38 pm ...Every portrait that is made with feeling is a picture of the artist, not of the subject...

I wonder: did Wilde actually say that, or is it just some internet quote attributed to him? There are a lot of quotes out there for which there are no verifiable sources/no direct references, but which are nonetheless attributed to famous people. Some of the quotes are quite good/interesting/etc., but whether or not the person in question really said them is rather dubious.

Whatever the case (or rather, whomever), perhaps there is some truth in that quote, at least somewhat, anyway -- I mean, there is still a subject being depicted, and so one cannot entirely negate their contribution to the picture.

On the other hand, when it comes to the titles that you give to your pictures, I suspect that they probably tell us far more about you than they do about the pictures you post (or about anything/anyone else). You obviously choose them for a reason, whatever that may be, and the nature of the titles often have a similar theme/mood/etc., which seems to reflect a common but singular perspective (i.e., yours). I am merely making an observation, not an assessment -- I've no idea what significance those titles might have for you.

Nice portraits, by the way (two of them appear to be on serviettes?).
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:07 am
Geoffrey wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:38 pm ...Every portrait that is made with feeling is a picture of the artist, not of the subject...

I wonder: did Wilde actually say that, or is it just some internet quote attributed to him? There are a lot of quotes out there for which there are no verifiable sources/no direct references, but which are nonetheless attributed to famous people. Some of the quotes are quite good/interesting/etc., but whether or not the person in question really said them is rather dubious.

Whatever the case (or rather, whomever), perhaps there is some truth in that quote, at least somewhat, anyway -- I mean, there is still a subject being depicted, and so one cannot entirely negate their contribution to the picture.

On the other hand, when it comes to the titles that you give to your pictures, I suspect that they probably tell us far more about you than they do about the pictures you post (or about anything/anyone else). You obviously choose them for a reason, whatever that may be, and the nature of the titles often have a similar theme/mood/etc., which seems to reflect a common but singular perspective (i.e., yours). I am merely making an observation, not an assessment -- I've no idea what significance those titles might have for you.

Nice portraits, by the way (two of them appear to be on serviettes?).
you are right. there is a lot of misinformation about, one cannot trust 100% anything one reads. often there are quotes from actors, even though it was the scriptwriter who thought it up. i don't think it really matters a lot, mankind is speeding towards extinction anyway, and i myself have been guilty of attributing false quotes to well-known people - including leonard cohen. there is no law against it, and even if there was we humans would continue our dishonesty and trickery - it is ingrained in our nature. a completely truthful person will always admit that they are less than 100% honest.

yes, serviettes indeed. they make poor canvases, fragile as they are. it is kind of you to have a positive assessment of my pictures, and even kinder to tell me. thin tissue paper is potentially a little more lasting, perhaps, than sand castles, ice sculptures or chalked sidewalk poems - although nothing can escape the oncoming obliteration of the universe.

those titles you mention are just sentences i pick up here and there, often from movies. in the one i saw last night there was only one line that stayed with me when i went to bed. it was: "please, step away from the meat." not a film you would like.

i had planned to write more extensively, but anita rang a short while ago and said she is off work today and would like to meet me at moa amfi in one hour, so i have to quickly shower and get myself ready. we plan to go to a cafe/restaurant called vinterhagen (winter garden). she is a nice person, very religious, doesn't speak much english, and wears a perfume called 'black opium'.

cheers :)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:45 pm ...i had planned to write more extensively, but anita rang a short while ago and said she is off work today and would like to meet me at moa amfi in one hour, so i have to quickly shower and get myself ready. we plan to go to a cafe/restaurant called vinterhagen (winter garden). she is a nice person, very religious, doesn't speak much english, and wears a perfume called 'black opium'.

cheers :)
Have a nice time! I am going to meet a friend later, too, and we're also planning to go to a restaurant -- something I've only resumed doing in very recent weeks (going to restaurants, that is), after not doing so since the pandemic began. He is a nice person, not very religious, speaks English perfectly, and does not, as far as I know, wear perfume.

Cheers!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:12 pm Have a nice time! I am going to meet a friend later, too, and we're also planning to go to a restaurant -- something I've only resumed doing in very recent weeks (going to restaurants, that is), after not doing so since the pandemic began. He is a nice person, not very religious, speaks English perfectly, and does not, as far as I know, wear perfume.

Cheers!
have a nice time, you too! lucky man. good to learn that you are not allowing the virus situation impinge on the quality of your existence. i am home again now. we both had beef stroganoff with rice and fresh salad. your suitor surely uses some kind of scent, a deodorant or whatever? i use mostly 'dior homme intense' - a male fragrance product - but a selection of various others can be found on my bathroom shelf. to speak and write perfect english must be wonderful, but is no longer possible for me, a language now confined almost exclusively to internet use. the manner in which you write is a joy to study, the expert way you structure sentences, the wide vocabulary so effortlessly used. i am quite envious. being able to write exactly what you mean, and in an unusually analytical and intelligent way, as you do, must be so satisfying. a man named hitchens once said "everyone has a book inside them, and in most instances that's where it should stay", but in your case i believe he would agree that it should come out, along with several follow-ups.
musician at st olavs plass, ålesund.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks, Geoffrey -- I'm glad you enjoy my writing style, and I am very touched by your laudatory comments. Cheers!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:23 am ...I've just remembered that last year Santa was on holidays again in the tropics, having fun in the surf down-under - ...Maybe he simply needs a break from that freezing cold at this time of the year in the Northern Hemisphere
I remember that, too, and indeed, I can certainly relate to the need of a break from the chill! This is my current weather:
The weather outside is frightful.png
(It does actually get even colder...) 8)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:57 pm these pictures that you and lisa post from time to time are the ones that give real substance to this column. thank you, bev.
Geoffrey, I'm sure Lisa would agree that your wonderfully unique portraits of Leonard are what this thread is all about and I love that :D

LisaLCFan wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:58 am I can certainly relate to the need of a break from the chill! This is my current weather...
Now that's an interesting coincidence! Remember in the movie list I posted I said that I watch a TV series Morgan Freeman hosts. I had just switched channels to watch it when I caught the end of a news/weather program from Canada giving the weather report, brrrr... Btw - it's been averaging about 27 degrees Celsius (80 F) here :)

And you guys, speaking of "languages and wide vocabulary", my news feed recently gave me some "almost extinct" words that I thought you might be interested in if you don't already know them. I have to admit that I do use a couple of them on certain occasions ;-) https://www.readersdigest.com.au/cultur ... right-away
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

B4real wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:04 am speaking of "languages and wide vocabulary", my news feed recently gave me some "almost extinct" words that I thought you might be interested in if you don't already know them
The only one I recognised is Skedaddle, which my father used occasionally many years ago. It's not part of my regular vocabulary.

As most of you probably know, I cannot draw or paint, but I do admire what others create, so I do check this thread every time there is a new posting. I like all the artistry that I see here.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”