never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 3169
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:08 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:35 pm
Yes, I recall seeing the image before, sans colourful background. Thanks for the additional info!
no problem. messages from an educated person are always a pleasure. the original, if one could call it that, can be found on the first page of this thread.

apropos original, leonard's song 'going home' could, in places, remind an analytical listener of kris kristofferson's 'the pilgrim'. it is possible to imagine leonard singing exactly that song in the image below.
in concert.jpg
https://youtu.be/HvP0jkhvgwE
User avatar
LisaLCFan
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Canada

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by LisaLCFan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:43 am

Geoffrey wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:08 pm
...messages from an educated person are always a pleasure...

"Always"? I suppose it depends on the person (and on how one defines "educated"). One's being "educated" does not guarantee a pleasurable interaction: some "educated persons" can be ignorant, inarticulate, boorish, idiotic, vile, obnoxious, arrogant... the list goes on. I would like to think that you would enjoy my messages regardless of my being "an educated person", but who knows?
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 3169
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:23 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:43 am
"Always"? I suppose it depends on the person (and on how one defines "educated"). One's being "educated" does not guarantee a pleasurable interaction: some "educated persons" can be ignorant, inarticulate, boorish, idiotic, vile, obnoxious, arrogant... the list goes on. I would like to think that you would enjoy my messages regardless of my being "an educated person", but who knows?
well, the above is a good example of an enjoyable message, one written by an obviously knowledgeable person who has arrived at an eloquent conclusion through reflection and reasoning, even though my cheeks did start burning at the "some 'educated persons' can be ignorant, inarticulate, boorish, idiotic, vile, obnoxious, arrogant" part. ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
black coffee & snacks on a bright sunny morning :)
magazine.jpg
beautifully carved hummingbird pendant, a gift from a wonderful person (she knows who she is :) )
hummingbird.jpg
https://youtu.be/eFTAKQOIGI8
"i'm always jotting everything down. i don't feel that i'm a singer or a writer - just a living diary."
living diary.jpg
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 3169
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:58 am

"my reputation as a ladies' man was a joke. it caused me to laugh bitterly through the ten thousand nights i spent alone"
you want me on that wall. you need me on that wall.jpg
User avatar
LisaLCFan
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Canada

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by LisaLCFan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:49 pm

Is that last one (9 Feb.) actually a rubbing on jigsaw puzzle? Nice effect!
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 3169
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:10 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:49 pm
Is that last one (9 Feb.) actually a rubbing on jigsaw puzzle? Nice effect!
correct, lisa. leonard drawn with soft blunt pencil (8B) held at 30 degree angle on tissue wrapping paper covering a miniature (15x10cm) jigsaw of van gogh. car keys and library card give an idea of size. thank you for your interest and positive comment :-)
puzzle.jpg
PaulWadeHaddad
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Qc
Contact:

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by PaulWadeHaddad » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:04 pm

Really great sketches. An awesome skill you developed.
In the multi-dimensional scheme, you'll know what I mean- J Frusciante
solongleonard
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 am
Location: Just ice round the shoulder

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by solongleonard » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:50 am

Geoffrey, I seek confirmation of a solemn vow you made when I arranged this sub-forum just for you. "Jarkko", you said, always the one to make a little Jarkko, you, I didn't correct your blunder in case if was simply your "mind issue" again. "Jarkko", you repeated, "it would mean so much to me if you, Jarkko, my favourite English Poet, could post the 1000th comment to the sub-forum, you specially arranged for me."

"I,a humble Norwegian, Jarkko, would consider it an honour if you are the 1000th comment-maker," you thusly continued. I

I resisted my growing desire to slap you and said, in perfect Norwegian, "Yes, Geoffrey".

This is the position as we approach the Momentous Landmarkish. You will want to control the masses, some not even English!, and clear the path for me. On that path, you may unroll a Red Carpet to emphasise my importance.
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 3169
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:48 am

thank you, paul, for a favourable opinion concerning the pictures in this column. thank you also to solong, for further displaying an interest in someone who seems to have invaded much territory in your frontal lobe. rest assured, such preoccupation upon my person does not slide past unappreciated.

however, let us return to a matter more in tune with the purpose for which this forum was created: leonard cohen. a short while ago a particularly perceptive contributor to this thread wrote: "It is my understanding that very few people have perfectly symmetrical faces, or bodies, for that matter, as the measurements of left and right sides often do not match precisely." after meditating upon this, and subsequently manipulating various images, it became increasingly evident that it is possible for one face to simultaneously express two opposing emotions. this is not possible with the "very few people" who have a completely symmetrical face, of course - and thus it would be considerably easier to discern what they are thinking.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... y-the-face
as an example, the picture on the far left shows a gentleman as he really is, but one cannot trust which way his mood will swing.
symmetry.jpg
User avatar
LisaLCFan
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Canada

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by LisaLCFan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:30 am

Geoffrey wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:48 am
...as an example, the picture on the far left shows a gentleman as he really is, but one cannot trust which way his mood will swing....

Nothing to do with chirality, but rather, some sort of duality: is it just me, or does the guy on the right bear a bit of a resemblance to solongleonard (at least, when he had hair...)?

Geoffrey wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:48 am
... this is not possible with the "very few people" who have a completely symmetrical face, of course - and thus it would be considerably easier to discern what they are thinking...

I don't see why a person with a symmetrical face could not express two distinct emotions, one on each side -- after all, almost anyone can effect a half-smile, a single cocked eyebrow, etc., regardless of the dimensions of their features, such that one side of the face can have a different appearance/expression than the other.

One must also consider the possibility that the expression(s) on a person's face are not necessarily indicative of what they are truly thinking and/or feeling: some people might be quite adept at hiding their emotions/thoughts and presenting a completely false impression to others.

"Behaviourism" as a method of psychological analysis fails miserably because of the fact that some people can feel and think one thing and express or overtly show something completely different: observing other people sometimes only tells us what they WANT us to see, not what is really there. It is a huge mistake to assume that one can know what is going on in another person's mind simply by observing them, because not everyone is an easy-to-read open book -- some people are able to put on appearances whenever they want, in everything they say and do (and write...).

Just a thought (or two).
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 3169
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:59 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
>is it just me, or does the guy on the right bear a bit of a resemblance to solongleonard (at least, when he had hair...)?

nah, i don't see it myself, maybe the mouth a little.

>I don't see why a person with a symmetrical face could not express two distinct emotions, one on each side -- after all, almost anyone can effect a half-smile, a single cocked eyebrow, etc., regardless of the dimensions of their features, such that one side of the face can have a different appearance/expression than the other.

yeh, alright then, you might be onto something there. i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

>One must also consider the possibility that the expression(s) on a person's face are not necessarily indicative of what they are truly thinking and/or feeling: some people might be quite adept at hiding their emotions/thoughts and presenting a completely false impression to others.
>
>"Behaviourism" as a method of psychological analysis fails miserably because of the fact that some people can feel and think one thing and express or overtly show something completely different: observing other people sometimes only tells us what they WANT us to see, not what is really there. It is a huge mistake to assume that one can know what is going on in another person's mind simply by observing them, because not everyone is an easy-to-read open book -- some people are able to put on appearances whenever they want, in everything they say and do (and write...).

well, deceptive individuals are not abundant in my circle; mostly simple, honest, god fearing souls - so maybe my experience is more limited than that of a big city person. most of my knowledge is gleaned from youtube, and i did see a clip once when christopher walken explained to dennis hopper that a man reveals 17 different facial pantomimes(?) when he lies. with a woman it's 20, he said. now maybe that's not true, but it's what i heard. the reason i remember it so well is because when it starts getting to the good part soon after, that's when they start playing the heavenly 'flower duet' in the background.
User avatar
LisaLCFan
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Canada

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by LisaLCFan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:20 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:59 pm
...the heavenly 'flower duet'...

No argument from me on that!
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 3169
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:47 am

indian ink.jpg
solongleonard
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 am
Location: Just ice round the shoulder

Re: never-ending edditing, got it rite at last!

Post by solongleonard » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:21 am

we won the Election big











Last edited by Donald Trump on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:45 am, edited 3973478347843442 times in total.


Last edited by Geoffrey on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:45 am, edited 5,437 times in total.
Last edited by solongleonard on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:50 am, edited 10 times in total.
solongleonard
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 am
Location: Just ice round the shoulder

Re: never-ending jiggery pokery

Post by solongleonard » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:22 am

Geoffrey wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:58 am
"my reputation as a ladies' man was a joke. it caused me to laugh bitterly through the ten thousand nights i spent alone"
Leonard and I always had an intensely competitive relationship, and that is why he never wrote about it publicly.

On but a solitary occasion did I lose out to Leonard. I consider that freak result came about solely on a matter of perceived rhythm, and also because he had bribed the Judges, but at less than his usual rate.

In vivid contrast to such unsporting conduct by so-called Leonard Cohen, I have always considered myself bound by the moral codes of honesty and absolute accuracy. Criteria that seemed not to appeal unto him.

Thusly, and a few days before his popular plagiarism, I had myself written, using quill and parchment, "my reputation as a ladies' man was a joke. it caused me to laugh bitterly through the ten days I have ever spent alone". He responded with envy magnatum "Master if it be your quill".

I'm not seriously offended by his silly copying or distortion. I ha' ne'er thought "a plagiarism on both your houses, and your cars".

I remain comforted by the knowledge that when he was still Virgin White in his mid-forties, I used to give him Romance Tips. I was keen that one day he would "break his fuck".

There are sad parts to this post.
Post Reply

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”