never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:18 am ...Marie and others made a book-card up with messages from forum members to give to Leonard as a personal memento from us to him... As well as my message, I was honoured to have one of my portraits of him included on the closing cover...
How lovely!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

if there is no god, everything is permitted.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:18 am
B4real wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:18 am ...Marie and others made a book-card up with messages from forum members to give to Leonard as a personal memento from us to him... As well as my message, I was honoured to have one of my portraits of him included on the closing cover...
How lovely!
I'm now wondering where that book we gave Leonard is at the moment. Maybe it's in the banker boxes archives at the University of Toronto with all the other things LC gave to them over the years. As well as his own writings he also gave letters and objects he received and kept over time from fans. It's a nice thought to think that's where it is but who knows for sure. Maybe someone on the forum does.

Another good portrait, Geoffrey!
Geoffrey wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:50 pm if there is no god, everything is permitted.jpg
It has been said if there is no god that is a startling revelation, if there is one it's just as startling!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote:Another good portrait, Geoffrey! It has been said if there is no god that is a startling revelation, if there is one it's just as startling!
thank you for writing something nice about my picture, B4real. not a gorgeous colourful one like those you and lisa make, but i guess one has to accept one's limitations.

apropos god: that is a quote from either dostoyevsky or sartre, depending on who you like best. regardless, it looks like we're doomed to be startled when we take the elevator down to the soil. makes me think of dylan's 'angelina' - when you cease to exist, who will you blame?
LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:43 pm Geoffrey, I particularly like the dour Leonard portrait posted on the 21st (my timezone) -- nice to see a bit of colour! ;-)
thank you, lisa. if you mean that sort of red and blue one, it was done mostly with a single crayon bought at the edvard munch museum in oslo last year. in fact i bought a set of them, all different - quite unusual. haven't really got around to using them very much at all, but you can see which is my favourite so far :)
crayons 1.jpg
crayons 2.jpg
UPDATE:
have just discovered they are for sale online :)
https://shop.munchmuseet.no/fargeblyant ... -paa-broen
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:02 am ... bought at the edvard munch museum in oslo last year. in fact i bought a set of them, all different - quite unusual. ...

Quite unusual, indeed! With all those colours at your fingertips (pun not intended), you could make all sorts of interesting rainbow-hued sketches, if you were so inclined. I shall look forward to seeing some more of them, if and when the spirit moves you!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:With all those colours at your fingertips (pun not intended), you could make all sorts of interesting rainbow-hued sketches, if you were so inclined.
the crayons are made by a company called 'koh-i-noor' - and talking about rainbows . . .
https://youtu.be/KA8GLpGucGo
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:50 am ...the crayons are made by a company called 'koh-i-noor' ...
Yes, I see that they are available on Amazon (of course, without the Edvard Munch name on them nor his painting on the tin).
B4real

Post by B4real »

Those magic rainbow pencils are great – thanks for the link, Geoffrey!
Koh-i-noor (mountain of light) is a reliable brand. I have used their products over the years but I’ve never used those multi-coloured pencils. I should do because they look like a lot of fun.

Interesting coincidence with us recently talking about drawing and painting the reef, colours and black and white artwork because yesterday I watched (was drawn to ;-) ) a documentary on TV about an Australian artist who’s artwork is a combination of all of those things. His name is Roger Swainston and he's a self-taught artist from Western Australia with a passion for the reef and its inhabitants.

Roger Swainston - Drawn to Water on TV.jpg

One aspect of his work that I found fascinating was that he puts on scuba diving equipment and draws underwater for up to 2 hours at a time. He sets up his easel in the middle of the reef and works live. He uses solid graphite sticks on drafting film. I think I saw the brand was Koh-i-noor, ha! He has to wash the salty sea water off the film, the graphite stays on. He does retouch the artwork in his studio.

Here’s a preview of the doco I watched - https://vimeo.com/208420207

One of those monochromatic drawings of his below -
Roger Swainston art drawn underwater with solid graphite pencils on drafting film.jpg
And a colour one –
Roger Swainston underwater art colours.jpg
So it all goes to prove whatever approach, method or materials you use to create art, is simply a means to an end for individual true self-expression.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:09 am ...One aspect of [Roger Swainston's] work that I found fascinating was that he puts on scuba diving equipment and draws underwater for up to 2 hours at a time...
Wow -- that's a unique approach to drawing en plein air! His artwork is stunning in its detail -- talk about hyper-realism!
B4real wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:09 am ...whatever approach, method or materials you use to create art, is simply a means to an end for individual true self-expression.
So true! Please take note, Geoffrey: just because you have a penchant for making monochromatic pictures, it is, in no way, a "limitation", as you called it -- it is simply your way. And, as I've said many times, I think your portraits are stunning, and the way you seem to be able to capture some of the essence of a person brings such a vitality to your pictures. They are fine just the way they are, and they are probably true to who you are, and that's what matters most, at least, I think so. Cheers!
B4real

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:26 pm
Wow -- that's a unique approach to drawing en plein air!
He he! Sure is, Lisa! You could also say he goes to great depths to immerse himself in his art ;-)

Geoffrey, I absolutely agree with all Lisa said about your expressive artworks!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:00 am ...You could also say he goes to great depths to immerse himself in his art...
Ouch, that's a groaner.

:)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you for everything that you write, and i mean everything, especially about my pictures - it's all good! x
------------------------------------------------------
damnation is poisoned with rainbows :-)
rainbow.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:11 pm ...damnation is poisoned with rainbows :-)
Love the colourful portrait of Leonard! Well done, Geoffrey! And, not just for the colours, but for the picture as a whole -- what a palpably soulful and evocative expression on his face.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:Love the colourful portrait of Leonard! Well done, Geoffrey! And, not just for the colours, but for the picture as a whole -- what a palpably soulful and evocative expression on his face.
thank you, lisa. for the record, something misleading. at first glance one might believe that those 'koh-i-noor' (name of a diamond, apparently) crayons offer a wide spectrum of hues. i don't think there are that many shades, it's just that each crayon has a different combination of identical colours - more or less. i am suggesting that similar colours can be found in more than one crayon, they are not as nuanced as one might expect. nevertheless, they are fun to use.

in the toy department of a local shop one can find multicoloured wax crayons (the scalpel is to indicate size), and i bought some not to use, but because they were visually appealing. they are, of course, for young artists - and unfortunately i fall into neither category ;-)
wax.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:42 am ...at first glance one might believe that those 'koh-i-noor' (name of a diamond, apparently) crayons offer a wide spectrum of hues ... [but] they are not as nuanced as one might expect...
Yes, I actually got that impression from some of the artwork I saw that people had done with them -- a limited selection of hues, and not many of the bright and vibrant colours towards which I would normally gravitate. Intriguing, for sure, and nice to see what others do with them (including you!), but I don't plan to buy a set.

By the way, I would be more inclined to call those Koh-i-noor things "pencils" rather than "crayons", but I used to call coloured pencils "pencil crayons" -- everyone called them that when I was a kid, at least, in my part of the world, and maybe some still do. When I first heard them referred to as "coloured pencils", I thought it sounded totally pompous, as if people thought that they were above using something called a "crayon" (or too old).

As it turns out, the use of wax crayons is not at all limited to little kids -- I've seen a variety of adult-made artwork in that medium, some of which are quite accomplished! The crayons in your picture look like camouflage patterns.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”