never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
B4real

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:47 am
Geoffrey wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:24 pm ...may you have a HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)
Same to you, Geoffrey, and also to Bev, Michael, Alan, Mat, Dan, 4 (I think I got all of the more recent posters), and, of course, to anyone and everyone else who may drop by here from time to time (and even those who don't) -- all the very best wishes for 2022.
Yes, Happy New Year to all!
ring the bells that still can ring!!.gif
ring the bells that still can ring!!.gif (101.13 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

you people are the best! :)
-----------------------------------
"i've been running through all these promises to you that i made and i just could not keep"
promises are the sweetest lies.jpg
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:59 am you people are the best! :)
-----------------------------------
"i've been running through all these promises to you that i made and i just could not keep"
promises are the sweetest lies.jpg
Geoffrey, you are a man of intriguing contrasts. I love how you refuse to use upper case letters on your keyboard inputs, but with your freehand "writing" all your letters are capitals in the top half* of your "Resolutions", and only "lower case" in the lower half*.
* For an excellent dissertation on "half" see page 85 in this thread.

May** 2022 be an excellent year for all the readers and contributors of this forum and, in particular, this thread, and several others as well, also, besides, too, additionally.
** May here is intended as the subjunctive mood = it would be great (etc) if...
Hey, if the 5th month of the 2022 Gregorian calendar works out well for you too, I'll be delighted.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Returning to our regularly scheduled programming, how about a picture? Here is a watercolour I did last week, when it was minus-34 degrees outside and I was dreaming of somewhere much warmer and more colourful than where I was.
LisaLCFan Watercolour Landscape (2).jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

That's a good start to the New Year, Lisa. Nice to see your excellent painting!
It's so hot here at the moment - my hands are slipping all over the keyboard and it's only mid morning!
I wish you could send me some cool and I could send you some hot :)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

I thought I'd begin the New Year with some fun and something LC and hope the year continues that way :)

I was recently talking to a friend who is about to turn 80 years old. He stopped smoking about 5 years ago and is threatening to start doing it again on his 80th birthday. I was reminded of an image I designed for Leonard for his 80th birthday after hearing what he had to say on that very same subject during the 2013 concerts.

Anyhow, ;-) LC said:
“I want to start smoking again when I’m 80.
When I have my first cigarette I want to do it on stage as part of the show. It’s gonnna be like this:
I’ll be standing here on stage and a young woman is going to appear in a very crisp white starched nurse’s uniform with white lisle stockings. She will walk slowly across the stage holding a silver platter on which there will be an open packet of cigarettes; little cigarettes gleaming like the pillars of the Parthenon, that little tiny Parthenon of tobacco.”

80th birthday.jpg
In the image above LC is quoting from his poem The Cigarette Issue in BOL.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:42 am I thought I'd begin the New Year with some fun and something LC...

Very cute, and I am sure that Leonard got quite a kick out of it!

Your picture reminds me of a Jack Vettriano painting: I actually only know of Vettriano from another thread on this forum that mentioned him, and which piqued my curiosity enough to Google him to see what his artwork looked like -- stylistically, it looks very much like your image!
B4real

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:01 am Very cute, and I am sure that Leonard got quite a kick out of it!
He, he! I like to think he did 8) I had a giggle or two to myself while I was doing it ;-)

And that's an interesting comparison you made about it to Jack Vettriano. Art is always subjective and so it should be.
I am very familiar with his artwork and he never entered my head at all during the whole process.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:31 am ...Art is always subjective and so it should be...

That is a thought provoking notion, about which I find myself wondering: is art itself subjective, or does the subjectivity lie merely in each person's perception/opinion/experience of it? And, I also wonder if art is "always" subjective: could there sometimes be objectivity in art? And, does it have to be either/or, that is, could it be the case that art is both objective and subjective, simultaneously, but in different ways and/or for different reasons? (I have no answers to any of these questions -- just musing aloud!)

I took a photo of my window, adorned with frost, and I have attached it below. This causes further contemplations about the above notion(s). I would be tempted to say that the patterns formed by the ice crystals are a work of "art" created by nature, and furthermore, that it is very beautiful, even objectively so (although that may simply be my subjective opinion). But, does art have to be created by a person (and must there be a specific intention to create a work of art), or can it be an accidental and/or naturally occurring phenomenon? With regards to the latter, perhaps ascribing the term "art" to a natural phenomenon -- such as the crystallisation of water when it freezes on a window -- is nothing more than a subjective and false personification of meaningless physical properties of a substance. And, although photographs of naturally occurring phenomena (i.e. things found in nature) are frequently referred to as "art", I am not posting the picture below as an example of photographic art, rather, I am simply wanting to share with others the wondrous sight that appeared on my window, and I can't invite you all over to my place to see it in person! :)

Frost on Window.JPG
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you for wonderful pictures, whether they be woman-made or nature. please don't stop doing this. :)

thank you to alan as well, for writing a message - and i agree with you about the "excellent dissertation".
this thread is a nice place to come to. we are a small gang and get on well together - most of the time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"every day, once a day, give yourself a present.
don't plan it, don't wait for it - just let it happen"
- agent cooper
i have a peculiar medical condition which is that i don't sweat.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ah Lisa, I agree with your musings :)
I meant my statement in the context of our previous words. I should have prefixed “art” with “viewing”.
I’m meaning how an individual person initially feels about/responds to a particular work of art and their right to do so.
Art itself is indeed both subjective and objective depending on the circumstances.

Thanks for posting your intriguing photo of “art” crystals.
I needed some cooling down over here. My brain does not work at its best in this horrible heat!

Geoffrey,
Always a pleasure to see your unique LC images 8)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:56 am Geoffrey,
Always a pleasure to see your unique LC images 8)
thank you! always a pleasure to see the stuff you post, especially that recent 80th birthday picture. wish i could do something like that!
---------------------
dare i deviate by revisiting film not often in the public domain? ok, it does seem to generate a lot of positive energy :)
https://youtu.be/qa_idXaiVJI
by the way, if you all are nice to me i might even post another one :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ah, Geoffrey, I remember that wonderful video of yours from the time you first filmed it!
So nice to see it again, thank you!

The following two images are a continuation of how I started the New Year - some fun and something Leonard :)

Seeing as there has been some discussion here recently about the brain and how/why different people see different things in art I thought I'd post an image I designed for a forum thread some years ago. Some of you may have seen it.
If not, is it a Grecian urn or my mirrored twin or both? ;-)

Give your brain a work out with both images below ....

there's a fight between the black and white.jpg
there's a fight between the black and white.jpg (7.55 KiB) Viewed 976 times

Also talking about seeing different things (or things differently), I know this image below is familiar to some of you but I still find it fascinating how you can control it's rotation. The brain is such a fascinating thing!
See if you can make the female figure below go one way and then the other by shifting the brain's current!

• If you see this lady turning clockwise, you are supposed to be using your right brain.
• If you see her turning counter-clockwise, you are supposed to be using your left brain.
• Some people can make the lady turn both ways, but most people see her turning only one way.
It is said that only about 15% of people can see and make her move both ways.
(personally I reckon it's about 60%)

move L&R.gif
move L&R.gif (204.02 KiB) Viewed 952 times
there is a war between the left and right.

Have fun - BOTH directions can be done! Her shadow also changes direction with her.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you. i enjoy looking at things like this. for me the dancing lady is turning anti-clockwise, but if i look down at the shadow and then back up i see her turning clockwise. also, your grecian urn image is sort of a 'rorschach' picture (though for a more accurate assessment in psychological circles i would prefer the MMPI-2). as for me, i see face profile silhouettes at the same time as the urn.

do you enjoy autostereograms, too? lot of fun, but people get frustrated when unable to see anything. here is a well-known one that i think leonard might have appreciated ;-)
the flesh is willing but the spirit is weak.jpg
glad you liked seeing the old video again. there exists actually six of them, plus some bonus footage from rehearsals - all of which earlier have been shown in public. for any leonard cohen admirers who might have missed out, another brief opportunity :)
https://youtu.be/d3akD_v36Pg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:47 pm for me the dancing lady is turning anti-clockwise, but if i look down at the shadow and then back up i see her turning clockwise. also, your grecian urn image... i see face profile silhouettes at the same time as the urn.
Me too -- I see the dancer turning in both directions, and the profiles and urn are simultaneously visible.
Geoffrey wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:47 pm ...do you enjoy autostereograms, too? lot of fun, but people get frustrated when unable to see anything. here is a well-known one that i think leonard might have appreciated ;-) ...
Yes, Leonard would definitely have appreciated that one! It is fun when my brain decodes what it is seeing and the three-dimensional image appears -- pretty cool. But, some of those images work for me more quickly than others, and some don't work at all (or, I simply give up before they do).

Wonderful videos of Leonard! Thank you!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”