Smile of Light

This is for your own works!!!
B4real

Smile of Light

Post by B4real »

Kindles Universe Light.jpg
“That Light whose smile kindles the Universe” ~ from Adonais by Shelley

I reckon those words above by Shelley on the death of his compatriot Keats are also applicable here today. They were the inspiration for my design. I didn’t want to post anything sad to remember Leonard’s passing and smiling is contagious, so hopefully there is no way you can help but join in the smiles when you look at my beaming offering :) They look like they’ve just shared a happy moment together. It also makes me think about the years and times gone by between those faces. Then I’m reminded of a dual time-lapse pastel portrait I did of LC some years ago but it had a more subdued mood. “And Love taught Grief to fall like music from his tongue” ~ from Adonais by Shelley

I’ll let LC have the last illuminating words –
“and I know from your smile” ~ second album 1969
“and here’s your man and he’s still working for your precious/ sweet little/ smile” ~ live on tour 1974, 79, 80 & 2010
“you smiled at me like I was young, it took my breath away”…… ~ last album 2016
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
AlanM

Re: Smile of Light

Post by AlanM »

Beautiful, Bev, and very apt too.
You are such a talented lady.

To misquote Daphne DuMaurier and the opening line of "Rebecca":
Last night I dreamt I went to a Leonard Cohen concert again.
I feel blessed to have these wonderful memories that revisit me in my sleep as well as in my waking hours.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Thank you, Bev! Great idea.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thank you Bev.

This was my tribute.

https://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress ... nard-2018/
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks so much Alan, Hartmut and Gwen for your kind words :D

and Gwen, that was lovely - Leonard surely does light up our universe!
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:02 am Thanks so much Alan, Hartmut and Gwen for your kind words :D

and Gwen, that was lovely - Leonard surely does light up our universe!
that was a most splendid design, B4real. you should do more!
thank you so much for sharing :-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Geoffrey, glad you liked it! And you are right; I really should post in this section more often. I’ve been 3 score and ten years in the art profession in some form or another and love it. But researching family history has been commandeering a lot of my time for a while now. It’s absolutely fascinating! History all at once becomes so personal. In fact, beside England and Europe, some of my ancestors are Viking kings from near your part of the world :) .... but I have a balanced DNA with the other end of the scale being peasant farmers ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:38 am Thanks Geoffrey, glad you liked it! And you are right; I really should post in this section more often. I’ve been 3 score and ten years in the art profession in some form or another and love it. But researching family history has been commandeering a lot of my time for a while now. It’s absolutely fascinating! History all at once becomes so personal. In fact, beside England and Europe, some of my ancestors are Viking kings from near your part of the world :) .... but I have a balanced DNA with the other end of the scale being peasant farmers ;-)
if you can trace your lineage back to viking kings (pre 1066?), you almost certainly have blue blood in your veins ;) . yes, i've heard people say that geneology is a fascinating hobby, and i enjoy very much the stories people tell me concerning their searching - it is so much more than just names, places and dates. truth is i like hearing anything people want to talk about, especially when they're enthusiastic - my thoughts become synchronised with theirs and for a while it's as if i inhabit their bodies, like when leonard sings "it is your flesh that i wear".

hard to believe that such a youthful spirit has been around for "three score years and ten". a 'peasant' is merely an agricultural worker, equivalent to a farm labourer, but it's phonetical value is perfect when needing an abusive word to spit at someone. well, there will always be people eager to pick a fight and criticise others, and i always steer clear of them, avoid confrontation. i never know what to say. yes, you should try to post more, show your pictures :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ah Geoffrey, now you’ve mentioned that famous year of 1066 which is most significant in my ancestry I can’t help but spill the beans further ;-) starting with the main man, William The Conqueror. Yes, he is one of my ancestors - actually I’ve heard that 25% of the English population can also make that claim so it’s not such a unique thing!

My other ancestors who fought with William in 1066 at the Battle of Hastings are three Norman barons and a Count who has your first name, ha! Besides William, two of them are depicted in scenes from that battle on the Bayeux Tapestry. One was the only Norman noble to die at the battle. The Viking connections come through the wife of his son and of course William himself. Both go back to Rollo, first Duke of Normandy born 846 in Scandinavia and I’ve chronicled further back still. That’s only one of the tips of my genealogical iceberg! The other pinnacles can be reached in England and France. So many intriguing stories thus far and more for sure to discover! Now you can get an idea why I find my family research so fascinating!

And yes, chronologically, I am old but people tell me that I don’t look my age [and secretly I agree ;-) ] maybe because my mind is indeed young [thank you for that observation :) ] and may it always be that way! I’m now thinking of the last line of Leonard’s that I quoted above, “you smiled at me like I was young, it took my breath away”.....
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello again, B4real, and for another response allow me to express much gratitude, for such civility in this corner of the internet am i truly unaccustomed.

hastings is well known to me, also bodiam castle, as i lived there for a while, and happened more than once through the small town called 'battle' on my way to northeye prison at bexhill. i am aware you live in the antipodes, but should the opportunity to visit sussex become available, i do not believe your journey would be regrettable.

another coincidence connecting the both of us is that i presently live near a large statue of rollo, or 'ganger rolf' as we call him. his entrance into this world is said to have been on the tiny island of giske, just outside my hometown of ålesund - but until a time machine is invented no one can know for a certainty. rolo chocolates have nothing to do with rollo, and i mention them only because they come to mind whenever i pass the statue.

( https://elizabay.wordpress.com/2014/09/ ... veau-town/ )
rolo.jpg
rolo.jpg (16.09 KiB) Viewed 3561 times
so, you and i have several things in common. like you, i too sometimes write in a text file before pasting it into this forum - especially when composing a longer message. this, of course, safeguards everything from being lost, as sometimes occurs. (i observed the differing apostrophe characters: ’ = unicode U+2019 and ' = unicode U+0027).

best wishes to you :-)

ps:
you probably not are 'old', as you say. i may have thought so when i was young, but not now ;-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ah Geoffrey, in all things I have one rule and one rule only - it’s easy to remember that way, ha! I try to treat other people the way I’d like to be treated - sometimes it doesn’t always work but I do try :) I do have a good sense of humour – laughter is most important! Besides, it gives one a more youthful look to have upward laughter lines than downward unhappy ones :D And I completely understand your ps reflective point of view about young and old!

And speaking of laughter, that image of the Rolo chocolates had me doing just that! And now you’ve put it into my head too, I’ll never think of Rollo in the same way again! Also thanks for the link. There has been debate even way back among medieval chroniclers as to where he was born, hence me not initially naming a specific place. It’s interesting they have basically agreed upon a date but not a place – you would think that could confirm the where. I have long researched this from transcripts of the 10th to the 13th century, the initial one says Denmark and later ones say Norway and some say either or. This interesting link below could be the “time machine” you speak of that definitely decides which country he was born in but it’s been over 2 years now and I haven’t heard of any results so far - http://norwaytoday.info/culture/dna-hun ... normandie/ EDIT: I should have looked closer because unfortunately it appears that we now need another "time machine" - http://norwaytoday.info/culture/skeleta ... g-hunting/

You mention Sussex - those Norman barons I spoke about previously were rewarded after the battle and given much land, manors, etc. including several at Sussex. The grandson of the baron who died at Hastings after proving himself in numerous battles for King Henry I (William’s 4th son) was given as a reward among other things, Pevensey Castle near where you were. I’ve never seen it or anything else in that area yet but my sister and her family have done so and visited lots more of our landmark places in England and France. I would love to also if I can get over my fear of flying! When I was OK with it, I did live in England in the 1970’s – seems so long ago – and it was!

Now, you must know that I am wondering why you were on your way to Northeye prison at Bexhill ;-)
And I reckon you’ve been to nearby St Leonard’s too – seems LC is everywhere, ha!

And yes, years ago I lost some long posts doing it directly and simply have got into this habit - if it’s small write and post, if it’s long compose elsewhere then post.

And now, seeing that we have drifted completely off-topic as often unintentionally happens here, please forgive my indulgence so that will do from me about me :)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello again, B4real.

thank you for writing. i have been away, and returned home to many chores - and invitations. so . . . apologies.

northeye prison: a friend got himself into a pickle, and spent a month or two lodging there at her majesty's pleasure. i myself have only once had a 'brush' with the police (for some reason it is almost unheard of for a painter to be imprisoned), so was never incarcerated - unlike casanova, dostoyevsky, oscar wilde, etc.

yes, it's annoying to spend time writing at length directly into the forum only to 'lose' the message before posting; one learns through experience. i might add that "keeping some kind of record" is not a skill at which i excel. as nothing in life is permanent, i can't really see the point. when a son goes home, and mother will only speak to him via an intercom, i think the tears that ski down the cheeks and evaporate take with them much of life's illusions.

rollo: a patriotic motivation is surely behind the eagerness to discover his country of birth, despite it being completely coincidental where researchers were born. it is the same with football fans desperately wanting their hometeam to win, a mentality that i have difficulty in understanding. i suppose it is connected to ego, the idea that one's origin is somehow more superior or prestigious than a competitor. one can also wonder if fans of leonard cohen pray for him to be awarded accolades because he has earned them, or whether it is their need to prove to others that their choice of idol deserves respect.

a happy note to finish: leonard will be on the road again later. money is the chauffeur of a fast wagon, technology is moving at breakneck speed, so we can expect a hologram concert tour in the not too distant future, as has already been experimented with michael jackson and elvis. "the dead shall live, their bodies will rise again and sing with joy!" - isaiah 26:19 :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey, Thanks for that info about the prison – nice to know you were just visiting ;-)

About Rollo – personally, it will make no difference to me where he was born because my DNA covers both contingencies of Norway and Denmark, but I still would like to know which one it is!

And btw – I don’t always reply to your drawings but please know I enjoy them very much.
I feel it’s the same for the majority of lookers here. Thank you for your generosity in posting them 8)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote:
>And btw – I don’t always reply to your drawings but please know I enjoy them very much.
>I feel it’s the same for the majority of lookers here. Thank you for your generosity in posting them 8)

a lovely thing to say. thank you so much :-)
you'll be hearing from me baby, long after i'm gone.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

My pleasure Geoffrey, and to quote Leonard -
"or to make some woman smile" ....

You have most certainly done that with this image and also lightened up my day :)

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”