well done on a very good painting

solong
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
Geoffrey

attention jarkko!

Post by Geoffrey »

solongleonard wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 pm Fine unusual colouring kisses old fag face

solong
thank you, michael. a kind message is always appreciated. from the middle of june my circumstances will possibly be changing, allowing me to be online a little more often. i am aware of how little i have been able to respond to the messages written to me, and look forward to changing that.

while writing, i bring to jarkko's attention (on the assumption that he monitors these messages), this small error that many years ago crept onto his otherwise fine website.
smoky.jpg
Maarten

Re: attention jarkko!

Post by Maarten »

while writing, i bring to jarkko's attention (on the assumption that he monitors these messages), this small error that many years ago crept onto his otherwise fine website.
Geoffrey

I'm afraid the error is Leonard's, which leads me to the question whether or not it actually is an error... If you check the back of your lp, cd, cassette or other medium, you'll notice that it has the title of the song listed as "The Smokey Life"...

Take care
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
LisaLCFan

Re: the smoky life

Post by LisaLCFan »

I have to admit that this presumed spelling error has always bothered me less than the way Leonard sings the first two lines in the song. Although the printed lyrics that I have seen here and elsewhere are grammatically correct -- "I've never seen..." -- Leonard fails to pronounce the -"ve" part of the contraction, and instead uses the ghastly and horribly uneducated-sounding "I never seen...", which has always been, for me, an intensely nerve-grating grammatical error (regardless of who uses it). I so despise it that I simply cannot listen to this song. Sorry, but one has to have standards.

I do, however, like Geoffrey's painting! It certainly meets or exceeds very high standards, particularly in the way that it so evocatively captures Leonard's soulful expression.
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 pm
solongleonard wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 pm Fine unusual colouring kisses old fag face

solong
thank you, michael. a kind message is always appreciated. from the middle of june my circumstances will possibly be changing, allowing me to be online a little more often. i am aware of how little i have been able to respond to the messages written to me, and look forward to changing that.

smoky.jpg

your subject heading is particularly cruel. lacking any sensitivity you have dragged Jarkko back to his 25 year service in the Swedish* army. Every night he would be roughly woken by a group of high ranking officers whistling Tacoma Trailer screaming "Attention Jarkko". He would jump out of bed and then they would laugh at him for exactly 17 minutes each time.

He turned left by mistake at the Finnish roundabout and ended up in bloody Sweden.
THEY MUST LEAD
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

solongleonard wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 pm Five unusual colours kiss old fag face

solong

what a nasty acronym you addressed to Geoffrey. you should be ashamed of yourself solongbastard (or whatever your name is today)
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Maarten wrote:I'm afraid the error is Leonard's, which leads me to the question whether or not it actually is an error... If you check the back of your lp, cd, cassette or other medium, you'll notice that it has the title of the song listed as "The Smokey Life"...
hello maarten. yes, leonard would never make an error, and the missing apostrophe in lets be married one more night was probably done on purpose as well ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:I do, however, like Geoffrey's painting! It certainly meets or exceeds very high standards, particularly in the way that it so evocatively captures Leonard's soulful expression.
thank you, lisa. a gentleman who runs a german cohen site wrote to me a couple of days ago "with those kind of art you give him a neverending life". that, along with your comment here, are amongst the most precious things i possess. :-)
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sat May 05, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

much appreciation, michael, for the energy and wit with which you so often decorate this creative area of jarkko's forum. i regard you as a link somewhere between oscar wilde and stanley unwin ;-)
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

the Oscar Wilde comparison is often made.

yes, my real identity, including photos, is revealed in Jarkko's Gallery of Beautiful Unwinners.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Sideways wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:36 pm the Oscar Wilde comparison is often made.

yes, my real identity, including photos, is revealed in Jarkko's Gallery of Beautiful Unwinners.

She and I have split but I will still say that her post above is brilliant, one of the best puns ever on this forum
THEY MUST LEAD
Sideways

Re: the hokey cokey life

Post by Sideways »

solongleonard wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:22 am
Sideways wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:36 pm the Oscar Wilde comparison is often made.

She and I have split but I will still say that her post above is brilliant, one of the best puns ever on this forum
Thank you (even though I really dislike you). Yes, I too am disappointed, but not surprised that a man as busy as Geoffrey didn't find time to acknowledge my brilliant response to his Stanley Unwin comparison. I think he probably understood the pun, marvelled at its brilliance, and then forgot to comment. He leads a hokey cokey life and we must accept that. We are blessed to have such a great artist amongst us.
abby

Post by abby »

Does anybody else miss cigarettes terribly?
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

abby wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:12 pm Does anybody else miss cigarettes terribly?
What do you miss about them? Going to restaurants/bars and being barely able to breathe without gasping and coughing because of the thick haze? Feeling like one's eyeballs have been rubbed with sandpaper as they sting from the assault of toxic smoke? Coming home afterwards with your clothes saturated with the disgusting smell of smoke until they are washed or otherwise fumigated? Staying in a hotel room in which everything, including the bedding, reeks of gag-inducing stale smoke?

Then, there are the people who smoke(d) cigarettes! Kissing someone who smokes cigarettes provides the sensation of licking an ashtray (again, gag...). Nicotine stained fingers and teeth are hardly appealing. The consumptive-sounding smoker's cough is a bit of a turn-off. Oh, and then there's all that cancer.

So, no, I don't miss cigarettes, terribly or otherwise.

Besides, last I checked, people still smoke the damn things: the sidewalks and streets in my city are littered with cigarette butts! People drop them on the ground outside of virtually door of every building, they toss them from their car windows as they drive, and/or they dump their full ashtrays on the ground where they park their vehicles. I could live with missing that!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”