Postby Go Down, Moses » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Everywhere, all over, sunlight pouring down,
the world gilded, rioting in primaries and pastels,
such that it appears that the brilliant heart of the day
is right here and upon us, and the sky and everything
we ever desired --- every coincidence, every fate,
every whim, every invocation that each shaft
of sunlight hints at ---- for each of these we are sanctified,
witnesses to what we love at the center of creation.
So look at us, all of us! See how we move
among deserts and dying towns alike,
prospecting in gardens of possibility and belief,
touching fingertips, movements consecrating the landscape.
We run along in the arroyos of each other's lives,
knowing the secret impulses, withholding judgment, blessing.
We are all, in every corner,
reforesting, planting new worlds.

Dec 2, 2010
Last edited by Go Down, Moses on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
carm

Re: You and me and You and me and You

Postby carm » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Go Down, Moses, I like the liveliness of your poem and how it showcases our inborn ability to inhabit our days, everywhere, all over…

Go Down, Moses writes:
We run along in the arroyos of each other's lives,
knowing the secret impulses, withholding judgment, blessing.
We are all, in every corner,
reforesting, planting new worlds.
Curious, I looked up the definition of arroyo and was given: a watercourse, dry stream bed, rivulet, small stream, shaft or pit in a gold mine…
Go Down, Moses

Postby Go Down, Moses » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:43 am

Thank you, Carm.

Yes ... here in Texas, which is undergoing a transformation into a semi-Spanish society and where we Anglos who want to gain an economic advantage learn Spanish from an early age, the word "arroyo" is pretty common. In fact, one of Austin's best-known Tex-Mex restaurants is named "El Arroyo." I always translated "arroyo" as "ditch," to be honest. I didn't want to use the English word "ditch," however as seemed too demotic to be used in a poem alongside words like "consecrated," "sanctified," "blessing," "radiant," "creation" etc...

I wrote this poem to accompany this photo, on my website: http://tracesoftexas.smugmug.com/Images ... 1883_FDKTL

I feel myself growing, both as a photographer and as a poet. My goal is to write one poem in my life that is as good as Theodore Roethke's worst poem.
carm

Postby carm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:04 am

Go Down, Moses writes:
I wrote this poem to accompany this photo, on my website: http://tracesoftexas.smugmug.com/Images ... 1883_FDKTL

I feel myself growing, both as a photographer and as a poet. My goal is to write one poem in my life that is as good as Theodore Roethke's worst poem.

And so we try to tell of all we can, of what we have remembered in this present age. It is fascinating the way some things are recognized, yet still we yearn to know, to feel what it is that has been captured, sometimes in such unrecognized light, purely existing the way it was.

Look how the day is happening – outside and far away, where as usual, it has a story, it carries a mood, and is almost too perfect to be remembered in the resolute folds of ones protected thoughts, yet it rests forever seeded within the mind's eye, thanks to the impeccable exposure of a camera.

Go Down, Moses, what an amazing gallery of images and inspiring words you have created. Most evident is the great passion between you and your surroundings. Some of us hike for days on end, tucked away into the favourite corners of our own backyard, yet never fully witness its legend, its lore. Thanks for the link to your site.

I really enjoyed the imagery of 'When You're Lost You Can Look and You Will Find Me, Time after Time' and its accompanying text: These giant sunflowers were happy to see me and bowed to me as I approached, as well as 'Sahara' and your comment: Truly a big, empty palette

I'd say Theodore Roethke's got nothing on you.

:razz:
Go Down, Moses

Postby Go Down, Moses » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:09 am

Carm,

Somehow, I missed your wonderful response.

Thank you so much for putting so much thought into it and for writing it all out.

I am blessed to have Texas for my visual canvas. It's both huge and always changing.
carm

Postby carm » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:48 am

Go Down, Moses, nice to hear from you.

Go Down, Moses writes:

The brilliant heart of the day is right here and upon us, and the sky and everything we ever desired – every coincidence, every fate, every whim, every invocation that each shaft of sunlight hints at…

A simple “click” becomes an immediate reaction to the light and time of certain subtle moments. There is a vitality in each of these moment's expression – an outburst of life.

Go Down, Moses writes:

Look at us, all of us! See how we move…

:D

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”