Reflections

This is for your own works!!!
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:52 pm

margaret wrote:I thought fender referred to part of a fireplace :oops:
It is indeed - it is the bit that stops the coal or logs falling out. There is also an American guitar manufacturer called Fender. And it also means the bumper (I think) on a car in America and Canada.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:37 am

At least in the U.S., I can confirm the car-part aspect [and, of course, the guitar :) ]. I was unaware of the fireplace usage.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:09 am

For what it's worth, I've got a fender extender on my motorbike :lol:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:48 am

It was the chrome fender of a "car", i was alluding to.................of course it was not that but a line of pure light as if reflected off a chrome bumper.
Thanks for all your intrest...............Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:33 pm

A fender is also called a fireguard. When you want to describe how inefficient a peson is, you can say that "they are as useful as a chocolate fireguard." I'm full of useless crap today.
Regards. Byron.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:45 pm

To me, the fender is not a fireguard. The fender is the cast iron (or whatever) it that stops the coal or wood from falling on to the hearth. A fireguard means to me a larger structure that covers the whole of the fire, to prevent children and so on getting too close and getting burned. What we can agree on, I think, is that chocolate would be a poor choice of material for either. :lol:

No wonder poetry can be interpreted in so many ways!
Byron

Post by Byron » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:11 pm

Many thanks Rhodes. For some strange reason I now have a mental image of a group of grandmas, sucking eggs, sitting on top of a heap of coal, on board a boat, on its way to Newcastle, to pick up a double glazing salesman, who will be going on to Lapland to sell fridges (as a sideline) to eskimos, while the bluebird of chinese porcelain design, swoops down and craps on my bald head.
I'm sure I took my tablets this morning?
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:25 am

Ciao George,

Very good opening lines to this poem, George. You are showing a different side of your poetic skills. Bravo!

Vesuvius
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:51 am

Thanks, Ves. Nice to hear from you again, thanks for the compliments.
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Avalon

Post by Avalon » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:37 pm

Take your poems OFF the board, wright, stop trying to compete with that idiot, Lizzytysh.
Goodbye :twisted:
I am the one
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:50 pm

Avalon wrote:Take your poems OFF the board, wright, stop trying to compete with that idiot, Lizzytysh.
Goodbye :twisted:
I really do hope that really is a goodbye. What is the point of coming on to a forum like this and being gratuitously offensive towartds people with a shared passion? Perhaps you could take up a more constructive hobby? Some charity work, perhaps?
Byron

Post by Byron » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:32 pm

Rhodes, he ( Avaloss) is up to G in the alferbett and trying very hard to impress peeppul. When a stray cat/dog/kitten/puppy/clotheared bat wanders into your kitchen, it is only polite to give it a few moments of your attention. I gave Avaloop all the attention needed when I had a crap a couple of minutes ago. So let's hear no more of that poor, sad, demented, attention seeking soul, and get on with the rest of our lives in the grown up world.
Regards. Byron. 8)
Helven

Post by Helven » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:33 pm

That Avalog looks like a perfect Avafool with his avafatuous comments.
(Ah, my English isn’t good enough. There’re a lot of mistakes here! :wink: )
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:14 pm

In today's E-Verse Radio, I came across this quote by Robert Pinsky.
Poetry's tremendous strength, in the democratic context--that is, its human scale, its distinction from show business--is its weakness. As part of the entertainment industry, poetry will always be cute and small; as an art it is massive and fundamental.

~ Robert Pinsky
~ Elizabeth

Thanks Coco, in rereading it, I noticed that I'd left the t out of cute.
Last edited by lizzytysh on Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coco

Post by Coco » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:56 pm

Hi Lizzytysh!

This was a good quote! Thanks.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”