why I will not criticise the poetry of others

This is for your own works!!!
News Gal

Re: why I will not criticise the poetry of others

Post by News Gal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Gullivor wrote:News Gal,

Have you tried the weekdays?

I haven't had the time here lately to do that, although I am on here now :)
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
Manna

Post by Manna » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:17 am

News Gal wrote:Manna, here in Connecticut you DO have to have certification and training to be a counselor. That doesn't ring true here at all.
Rock on, Ct!
But the point remains. That being that when both you and others attribute a label to you, it gains a broader ring of truth. Anyway, I don't think it was you who asked what makes someone a writer. A writer writes. I think a writer is more of a writer if he makes his bread by it. That doesn't, definitively speaking, make him better at it, just makes the title more valid.
I'm a news anchor and reporter, a journalist--while writing's part of that, I'm not a "writer" in the sense the word's used here. I'm also used to making myself understood in conversational style instead of using synonyms, and using very few words to get the point across. That's Associated Press style, not poetry. What I post on here is written for the ear.
I hadn't noticed that the word writer was used differently here from anywhere else. Can you expound?
I also don't take art so seriously. It's a hobby for me, and something to enjoy, but not a passion by any means. It's also starting to become less enjoyable after some threads on here and my time at the radio station, where everyone fancies themselves some sort of "sophisticate"(who defines that term now anyway?) because they're Broadway nuts. The attitudes are similar--and disconcerting.
Oh, dear. Don't let yourself be so manipulable. If you enjoy it, then fly yo' freak flag and critics be darned straight to heck and back. You're a news anchor at a radio station full of Broadway nuts? Is it an NPR station?

You don't use synonyms in conversation? How tedious, lifeless and uninteresting, especially for a news anchor/reporter/journalist who's not an idiot/rube.
Also, contrary to what some on here may have assumed, I'm not some idiot or rube. I don't need concepts dumbed down for me, and I don't need to be spoken to as though I don't understand English. That's happened every weekend.
Though parts were, my entire post was not aimed only at you. Sorry for not making that clearer; I just took notes as I read thru the thread, and then posted them. I'm not sure to whom all of my responses were directed.

We only have what you've said on these fora so far to go on, and most likely, no individual has read every one of your posts. So far, I've seen you around a bit, but haven't paid enough attention to you have any opinions formed, save that I think your response to me was a bit blown out. And maybe yours wasn't only to me either. But I too blow every now & then, so I can understand.

Oh, heavens. Mickey isn't around here anywhere is he? Here I am talking about blowing and I didn't even invite him.
News Gal

Post by News Gal » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:23 am

Manna, just the first line was meant for you. The rest was general. Sorry about that, I forget formatting on a PHP bulletin board is a little off sometimes.

What I'm trying to say is writing for news is very different from writing poetry. You're expected to keep things short and to the point, with six or seven stories in three minutes' time. AP style is what is known as "conversational," but that's not the way I speak. I've just become so accustomed to writing in it that I don't switch when I come online.

Nah, it's not an NPR station, although the executive producer of Connecticut Public Television has a show there. The funny thing is he's nothing like the Broadway nutcases I described ;) I do have some emotional/mood disorder issues though, so these things tend to affect me more than many people. It used to be much, much worse.
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
Gullivor

Post by Gullivor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:31 am

Mondays are good and Tuesdays are even better!
News Gal

Post by News Gal » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:35 am

Two good days then Gullivor! BTW, what breed of dog is that in your avatar? Very cute!
vern.silver

Post by vern.silver » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:51 am

If a poem is so bad as to be considered ‘crap’ then why bother commenting on it at all. Just leave it be and it will drift silently to the back pages of the forum and gently fade away.

Manna, if you are willing to concede that you are posting bad poetry, so be it, but I think you are doing yourself a disservice. Yes you have posted some pretty bad ones, but some nice ones as well. I think we are all guilty of that. I think too, that you should go back and reread the quote I posted by Mr. Riccio, especially the second paragraph. You will see that he answers your question -
I wonder what Ottone M. Riccio thinks about the capacity to recognize the value of something, but still not like it.
– even before you ask it.

Yes there have been some really bad poems posted here, but I disagree that there are no good ones. There have been many good poems here, and some I daresay, approach excellence – in my opinion.

I spent several hours over the past two days scouring the back pages of this section of the forum, and the fact is, for the most part, the commentary has been quite good and supportive/constructive. I would particularly like to point out how Cate goes about it. Her method, particularly as demonstrated in Crybaby, is excellent. I would love for her to go to work on one of my poems.

Love everyone, and happy writing
Vern
"Clarence said a striking thing about rowing that I've always valued ... that he liked rowing because you were approaching life backward. You could clearly see the past, and you glanced quickly at the future over your shoulder.' Jim Harrison.
Manna

Post by Manna » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:54 pm

If he answered the question, then the answer was unsatisfactory. It sounded to me like he was saying "learn to like," and in many cases you do. But gaining appreciation of something is not necessarily equal to liking it. "Still not like it" is indispensable to my questioning of his views.

A case for obviating:
Are you glad your parents raised you so well?
Did you enjoy the punishments?
Marisha

Post by Marisha » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:04 pm

wow! some of you are so precious, whereas a few of you are truly precious,

yours in sisterhood

Marisha
Gullivor

Post by Gullivor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:56 pm

News Gal wrote:Two good days then Gullivor! BTW, what breed of dog is that in your avatar? Very cute!
Hi News Gal,
That is my Dog Gullivor. I use to hang out at Tiki Bars a lot and spelled his name wrong on his paperwork so when I "Came to and Came to believe" I did not feel it proper to correct the spelling on his name. He is a Mutt. He looks a little like a big Jack Russel but I think he is Labrador and American Bulldog. I'v had him now some 10 years. I got him because I thought he may keep me out of the bars of Fort Lauderdale but instead the "Partys" came to my little hole in the wall Ocean Front Hotel room. When I wasn't in the hotel room trying to do the right thing I was Shore fishing with the locals and tourists alcoholics....10 years later I can laugh about it!

Tuesdays are good indeed!
Wendesdays are even better!

But sometimes I have a bad day and those days suck!

P.S I am still a bad speller but I am aware or it today!
News Gal

Post by News Gal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:54 am

Bark! He's an adorable dog! Mutts are the best pets :) The Bulldog shows in his face, so lively

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”