never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
User avatar
LisaLCFan
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Canada

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby LisaLCFan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:50 am

I have noticed a distinct similarity between works by the artist known as "Geoffrey" and works by another artist, who has apparently not been active for a while, named "WREN". They are both very talented, and they both seem to have a fascination (and skill) with Leonard Cohen portraits.

I find myself wondering if there is something diabolical involved? What has happened to this "WREN" person, and why do we no longer see any works by him/her?
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Geoffrey » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:47 am

LisaLCFan wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:50 am
I have noticed a distinct similarity between works by the artist known as "Geoffrey" and works by another artist, who has apparently not been active for a while, named "WREN". They are both very talented, and they both seem to have a fascination (and skill) with Leonard Cohen portraits.

I find myself wondering if there is something diabolical involved? What has happened to this "WREN" person, and why do we no longer see any works by him/her?
well, you know . . . we evolve . . . the atoms and subatomic particles of which we are comprised are continually moving . . . nothing is permanent . . . not even death . . . because our atoms just rearrange themselves . . . as they have done since we came from the stars.
good wine.jpg
"the trees they got much smaller, the lake a lady's mirror, when we stopped to drink some wine"
User avatar
LisaLCFan
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Canada

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby LisaLCFan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:10 am

Geoffrey wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:47 am
...well, you know . . . we evolve . . .
That we do, some more than others, I think -- by choice, disposition, and/or circumstance.

This latest picture of yours nicely captures the pleasure of drinking wine (a pleasure that I enjoy very much! Tonight is a lovely red burgundy...), which reminds me: I was going to ask why you put a "sad face" emoji in your last post, after the comment about prosecco, because I would be smiling if I had just drunk some fine Italian bubbly, whether I sketched a Cohen portrait in charcoal or not! Even Leonard looked gloomy in that one -- and it occurred to me that he, of all people, would be smiling at the thought of wine consumption! I am glad to see that you've come around!
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Geoffrey » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:53 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
>I was going to ask why you put a "sad face" emoji in your last post, after the comment about prosecco, because I would be smiling if I had just drunk some fine Italian bubbly, whether I sketched a Cohen portrait in charcoal or not! Even Leonard looked gloomy in that one -- and it occurred to me that he, of all people, would be smiling at the thought of wine consumption!

well, i don't know about you, but i was brought up in a strictly religious background, where alcohol was seen as a devilish concoction that caused even the strong-minded to easily lose control - and who can argue with that! leonard drank wine as a means to escape the frightening reality of his situation, when he was about to go on stage, for example. yes, it can make a person relax, calm their nerves and gloss over fear, but why live in a false world and act like an ostrich? also, one can suffer a headache and feel of unwell the next day, not to mention how one's kidneys and liver can be permanently damaged by a regular intake of booze.
------------------------
one god almighty mess of data, charcoal and acrylic.
strike me down god, if you dare.jpg
User avatar
LisaLCFan
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Canada

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby LisaLCFan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:53 pm
...well, i don't know about you, but i was brought up in a strictly religious background, where alcohol was seen as a devilish concoction that caused even the strong-minded to easily lose control - and who can argue with that! ...
Oh, don't be absurd! "Who can argue with that"? I can! I was brought up to think for myself, not to mention learning to take responsibility for my own actions, including being able to exercise moderation and control in such things as enjoying the occasional alcoholic beverage. :roll:
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Geoffrey » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:29 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Oh, don't be absurd! "Who can argue with that"? I can! I was brought up to think for myself, not to mention learning to take responsibility for my own actions, including being able to exercise moderation and control in such things as enjoying the occasional alcoholic beverage. :roll:

it is well documented that alcohol impairs one's judgement, which is why in norway, if even the smallest amount is discovered in a driver's blood test, their licence will be confiscated. also, the tiny goblet one receives from the priest during sunday's holy communion contains alcohol-free wine. by the way, one can purchase bottles of both alcohol-free wine and beer at any supermarket, the taste is not that dissimilar from alcohol-laden drinks, but the reason people prefer to buy the latter is because they want to feel 'affected' by the alcohol. i understand it may sound "absurd" to you, but it seems people who drink don't want control over their "actions", they want a break from that responsibility. a leading UK barrister admitted to me some months ago that not a drop of alcohol has ever passed through his lips. i didn't enquire why that was, because the importance of his job combined with an enthusiasm to be a role model to others told me all i needed to know. the president of the united states does not touch alcohol either.
199Dan
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby 199Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:10 pm

The president of the USA can not tell the true about where his father was born even after being corrected three(3) time during his time in office. Do I need to say more ? :?:
User avatar
Jean Fournell
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:09 pm
Location: Provence

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Jean Fournell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Maybe he was no direct witness.
___________________________________________________
Therefore know that you must become one with the bow, and with the arrow, and with the target
to say nothing of the horse.

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
199Dan
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby 199Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 pm

He WAS corrected three (3) times . His father was born in NYC .
No memory of the words he has used and has been filmed saying them.
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Geoffrey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:26 am

nice surprise early this morning. light years ago, when leonard was at norway's jazz festival, he gave a cloth bag to lorca and asked if she had time to go to 'the shop'. returning some time later she handed it to me, filled with all sorts of goodies. after coming home, i lost the bag, and forgot about it - until today. someone who'd been tidying their home came up to me and said: "this is yours, you left it here ages ago!" :)
bag.jpg
label.jpg
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Geoffrey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:22 pm

"my lawyer tells me i have money, but i never see it."
-leonard cohen (1973)
disillusioned.jpg
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Geoffrey » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:45 am

199Dan wrote:
>The president of the USA can not tell the true about where his father was born even after being corrected three(3) time during his time in office. Do I need to say more?

Jean Fournell responded:
>Maybe he was no direct witness.

199Dan answered:
>He WAS corrected three (3) times. His father was born in NYC. No memory of the words he has used and has been filmed saying them.

very kind of you both to contribute to this thread . . . thank you!
--------------------------
another of my 'famous' charcoals, that i doubt anybody's going to recognise :-(
so close, the infinitesimal and the infinite, and suddenly i knew they were really the two ends of the same concept.jpg
199Dan
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby 199Dan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm

I meant no disrespect.
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Geoffrey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:09 am

199Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm
I meant no disrespect.
none was detected, and had any been located it would hardly have peeved me :-)
----------------
"i see religion as a technique for strength, and for making the universe hospitable"
-leonard cohen
human speech is like a cracked kettle on which we tap crude rhythms for bears to dance to, while we long to make music that will melt the stars.jpg
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Geoffrey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:30 am

"do not be afraid to be weak. do not be ashamed to be tired. you look good when you're tired."
tired.jpg

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests