Poetry at Work.

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Andrew McGeever

Poetry at Work.

Post by Andrew McGeever »

At my workplace, the staff were invited to offer their "favourite poem", and an explanation. The poems (plus explanations!) were to be displayed on a wall.
I was spoiled for choice!!!!
Yet I chose Leonard Cohen's "A Thousand Kisses Deep", the version published in "The Book Of Longing".
I attached a brief commentary/history about L.C.
Maybe not many people stop, look, read, learn: I can't man the wall ( there's Frost, Auden, Burns, Dickenson, Wordsworth, Yeats, to name a few).
Here's the question.....does your workplace invite their staff to display poetry?
If not, why not?
Let's have poetry displayed in every workplace :D :D .
Leonard Cohen's poetry should be plastered on every wall in every workplace in every country.

Andrew.
lizzytysh

Re: Poetry at Work.

Post by lizzytysh »

Ha ~ no, we prefer plastic plants and flowers, processed air, no natural light, and lots of synthetic materials, thank you :lol: . Forum is some of the freshest air I get all day. Seriously, that's how it is and there is some decoration, but any poetry needs to be displayed within the confines of our cubicle... our [ha-ha] private [ha-ha] cubicle. I have Milocz's poem that Sophia posted framed along with her posting. I have printed "You Have the Lovers" to frame, also... but haven't gotten the frame, yet. I've shared it privately with several people, who really liked it, too. Such a great idea what you folks are doing, though ~ a GREAT idea... I'll try to introduce it for maybe Valentine's Day? Quite conservative my workplace, though. Sometimes wonder how I've lasted so long.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Cate

Post by Cate »

Hi Andrew

I think this is a fantastic idea! I'm going to ask my office mate if he'd be into it. I think he will be - he already has a poem posted above his desk. We could post a poem outside our door with the promise of more inside. Maybe other people on our floor will join us.
hummm... I like this very much - a great distraction from a cold January.
we prefer plastic plants and flowers, processed air, no natural light, and lots of synthetic materials,
Lizzy - I think we might work in the same building - funny we've never bumped into each other :lol:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Cate :lol: ~

I guess progress is a whole, different topic, eh < wink > ? Maybe we'll still run into each other one day... when our eyesight finally gives up and takes leave < wink > .

When I say the Forum is my connection to the outside world, it's more than mere words! My supervisor knows that office gossip, [multiple] cigarette breaks, and the unbelievable array of various types of commercial, recipe, 'news' sites aren't my thing, so as long as I get my work done, she doesn't mind that this and my email are virtually the only places I go... and am still at my desk to answer the phone, see someone, and continue with my work. It seems she considers it in its proper context, the same as I do... psychic survival.

We were recently blessed with new carpeting and the attendant glue and headaches. People are mystified by it :shock: . "May I introduce you to the world of toxins?" We're now all required ~ required ~ to put our coffee, tea, soft drinks, in sippy cups... yes, fully covered, lest we spill drops onto the new carpet.

Yes. Poetry... especially with the reasons for one's love of particular ones would be MOST welcome.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”