Leonard wrote to his grandchild

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
John K.

Leonard wrote to his grandchild

Post by John K. »

I don't recall seeing this posted. Leonard wrote a letter to his "future" grandchild/ren for a book Liv Ullman edited. It's certainly more meaningful now that he is a grandfather:
To the child of my child:

I may not be around when you read this but I want you to know that this morning I walked on a path and I could see the full moon above the pine trees. It was very bright and round and full and it made me very happy to see it. Someday you will be watching that same moon. I hope it makes you happy too.

Love, Your Grandfather.
http://www.amazon.com/Letter-My-Grandch ... 0871137283
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

That was so good to read. Thanks John

You know what I like about the moon? That in the sky it the exact same size as the sun, so that when they come together they fit so perfectly.
Ever wonder why that is, why it came about that they are the same size?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

This is a really LOVELY, LOVING poem... and how wonderful it is, the excellent likelihood that Leonard will read this to Asher, and to Asher's understanding; and that Asher will still read it, to himself and to Leonard; and that they will watch the moon, happy together.

Poignant. "Child of my child," of course, knows not male or female.

I've always loved Liv Ullmann as an actress. It's great to see her doing honourable works such as this.

Interesting point, Jack. First temptation is to say the difference in their distances; yet, that has absolutely not the element that accounts for the exactness in their size in eclipses. There must be a physics explanation? Or is it simply one of G~d's many mysteries... like the differences in design of all snowflakes.

~ Lizzy
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

lizzytysh wrote:Or is it simply one of G~d's many mysteries... like the differences in design of all snowflakes.
or like the snowflakes all have six points like what they have just found in the rings of Saturn.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

So, snowflakes are from Saturn... obviously.

Isn't it Saturn where they've just discovered a hexagon-shaped storm pattern situated over its North Pole, with the winds whipping around each of the corners. I believe this must mean that Saturn's creator was from Chicago.

I believe I missed my calling. I should have been a scientist.

~ Lizzy

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”