Needy, so much needy am I

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
MarioJoel

Needy, so much needy am I

Post by MarioJoel » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:40 am

Hello, I am new here. I love and have most of L.C's poetry and songs. I haven't read any of his book, though. The reason is I am from Guantánamo, Cuba and that makes it almost impossible to buy anything from abroad. Would anyone tell me a way to get a digital copy of Beautiful Losers? I am crazy about reading that one. Of course I have downloaded gragments of it and I think it's awesome. By the way, I feel I should pay for the book but there's no way for me to do that.
My email is: mariopatriot@yahoo.com
Be glad to interchange with anyone. I have my own translation of all his songs. Believe, I think it's good work.

Bye.
[/b]
I am Cuban
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:06 am

.txt file of BL is on the way (together with some other .txt poetrybooks by LC)

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:09 am

Or you could have gotten them here:
ftp://homedev.org/pub/incoming/poems/

I only realized you could find them there after I mailed you and posted my previous post...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
MarioJoel

THANKS A MILLION

Post by MarioJoel » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:55 pm

I feel nothing but respect and admiration for Mr. Cohen's work. I should not feel less for any of his messengers. Thanks is is simple but still beautiful work.
You Massa, have done something great for me.
I am Cuban
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:10 am

Dear MarioJoel ~

I live not SO far from you, geographically... in Florida. How did you discover Leonard's work?

Welcome to the Forum, MarioJoel :D .

~ Lizzy
MarioJoel

On how I came across Leonard Cohen's work

Post by MarioJoel » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:39 pm

Dear Lizzy,

It happened one of those Magical Nights (the end December 2000). I was at home like midnight and someone knocked on my door. It was one of my closest friends from. His name's Andrés, he was staying in town for the night (He lives in Baracoa, another municipality) and came home to say hello and have a few drinks. I was on the kitchen grabbing a bite when he played "Suzanne" (the live version) and then many more of his songs and right there and then I knew that was it. Can you believe it?
I had been in touch with Lennon, Dylan, Waitts and many others but I had never heard L.C. Well, I am so glad that I came across his music and work. Now he's my guide for spiritual information. I have translated every one of his songs I 've heard. I even thought of writing a book about him but... hey, there's the copyright thing... I wanted to introduce him in Cuba. Although he has been translated in Cuba already(in 1989 by the Opción Literary Magazine, just 9 of his poems) still I think his entire work should be placed in the hands of Cubans.

Well, that's how it happened. I love all of his songs, all of them. I have read the Leonardcohenfiles completely and now that I got some of his books I feel floating.

Best to you and all the other members here.

Mario Joel LLorente
I am Cuban
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:22 pm

Hi Marioe Joel, and welcome!

Tell me, aren't some of numerous Spanish translations available in Cuba? I think every Cohen's book has been translated in Spain (most of them by Alberto Manzano).

Books of Leonard Cohen in Spain (collection of our Forum member from Spain, ForYourSmile)
MarioJoel

Not even one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by MarioJoel » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:44 pm

Hello Tom,

Believe it or not, there's not any single book of Cohen sold in Cuba. He is totally unknown here except to a limited group of people. Cuba is a hard to understand place, Tom, hard to explain in a message.

I know they all have been translated already, saw it on the net. I also know that there's only one way to introduce him in Cuba: that some Cuban write a book on him.

Best,
Mario
I am Cuban
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:49 pm

Hi Mario ~

It would be wonderful if you wrote a book about Leonard. Who knows how the copyright thing may go. You won't know till you try. Short of that, you could have something organized to share with people whom you introduce to Leonard's music. You could begin your book with Leonard's own quotes, from his song book, about having visited Cuba. I agree that the Cuban people should know or at least be in touch with Leonard's works. There are so many themes that would resonate with them.

"Suzanne" was the first song I heard sung by Leonard, too; and I was instantly in love and have remained there ever since. I can imagine your kitchen filling with the sounds of Leonard's voice and music late at night. A very romantic picture that is... there's always been something I really love about kitchens, anyway. Such a gathering place for family, friends, and loved ones. To have Leonard there, too... ahhhh. Andres gave you a great gift 8) .

Thank you for sharing your story about how you learned of Leonard. Did you Google your way to here, or did your friend make you aware of this site?

You're, of course, from a highly-controversial area [for us and some other countries of the world]... Guantanamo that is, moreso than Cuba [anymore]. How old are you, MarioJoel... if you don't mind my asking.

~ Lizzy :D
MarioJoel

Dear Lizzy

Post by MarioJoel » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:17 pm

Hello Lizzy,

Back again, I have been very lucky with my internet today (very limited in Cuba) so I am ready to keep on going. Well, right now I am going to the beach 30 miles away from my house.
I am 36 years old, born March 5th 1970. Please, do not think of Guantánamo as The GTmo US naval base, although I am 14 miles away from that, it's like two different worlds (separated by mine camps)

If you sent me your e-address, I'll send you pictures of me and Gtmo Province, you or anyone interested.

I did Yahoo my way to Leonard Cohen, then googled it and then all-possible-pages-ed it, uhuhuhuh. I think I let my grammar run too wild there. I love English by the way.

Best,

Mario
I am Cuban
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Yes ~ I'll send you my email address for those photos, which I'd love to see, Mario. Yes ~ I can believe that they are not one and the same Gtmo and Guanatanamo, where you live your life.

Ahhh ~ well!! When you return from the beach, you'll be happy to know that you have happened upon the quintessential site on Leonard Cohen. Check out Marie Mazur's, as well... Speaking Cohen... accessible from the main page of this site.

Have fun with English 8) ! I love it, too... lucky those who know TWO or MORE languages, though!!!

It's great to have you here, Mario. With your age, I know you've seen a lot... and can appreciate Leonard all the more.

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:21 pm

There's the picture of Leonard in Cuba, with Cuban soldiers. (I think he's also wearing something military?). I couldn't find it online, maybe someone could be nice and scan it from Ira Nadel's book (I borrowed my copy to a local fan over the summer:-) I agree with Lizzytysh, that photo, along with many Leonard's quotations about Cuba, could be the great start for the book. Also, there are few poems written during that period there on Cuba and in Havana, including "Only Tourist in Havana Turns His Thoughts Homeward."
MarioJoel

Thanks Tom

Post by MarioJoel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:14 am

Tom,

I am glad to hear about the picture and I am hoping to be able to see it sometime. I have read all I have found about LC and Cuba but still that would just be a piece of the thing. What I want this country to learn from him is how to turn to someone in search of spiritual information, I want people to understand his lyrics by translating them, I want them to explore the viewpoints of someone so different to us yet so profoundly close and necessary. Ultimately I believe that LC can make anyone a better human being and this country needs that so much.

well, my beach day was so good, now I am going to Boti's patio. We'll be drinking and listening to music (Cohen, Willy Nelson, Hank Williams, The Highwaymen Album by those four greats of country music.)

Well, what can I say
I wish you all the best,

Mario Joel
I am Cuban
tomsakic

Leonard Cohen and Cuba

Post by tomsakic » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:37 pm

From Wikipedia (general mention of Cohen-Cuba relations):
In "Field Commander Cohen" he (perhaps metaphorically) imagines himself as a soldier/spy socializing with Fidel Castro in Cuba, where he had actually lived at the height of US–Cuba tensions in 1961—allegedly sporting Che Guevara-style beard and military fatigues. This song was actually written immediately following Cohen's front-line stint with the Israeli air force, the "fighting in Egypt" documented in an (again perhaps metaphorical) passage of "Night Comes On:" In 1973, Cohen, who had traveled to Jerusalem to sign up on the Israeli side in the 1973 war with Egypt, had instead been assigned to a USO-style entertainer tour of front-line tank emplacements in the Sinai Desert, at one of which he both came under fire and reportedly shared cognac with an unlikely self-professed fan, then-General Ariel Sharon. Disillusioned by encounters with captured and wounded enemy troops, and having expressed ambivalence from the start about the causes of the conflict, he eventually left, but not before beginning to write his song "Lover Lover Lover," as he later claimed, "for the soldiers of both sides."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Cohen

From an article by great Cohen-writer, Pico Iyer:
One morning at dawn, as we talk about Van Morrison and Norman Mailer and how "living in England is like living in a cabbage," Cohen gets to talking of Cuba, and the time, just after the revolution, when he was walking along the beach in his Canadian Army khaki shorts with his camping knife, imagining himself the only North American on the island, and got arrested as the first member of an invading force.

"So anyway, there I was, on the beach in Varadero, speculating on my destiny, when suddenly I found myself surrounded by 16 soldiers with guns. They arrested me, and the only words I knew at the time were 'Amistad de pueblo.' So I kept saying, 'Amigo! Amistad de pueblo!' and finally they started greeting me. And they gave me a necklace of shells and a necklace of bullets and everything was great."
Pico Iyer, "Leonard Cohen Unplugged", The Buzz Magazine, 1998, http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/buzz.html

From SpeakingCohen.com:
Carrying visions of the Spanish Civil War in his head, he went to Cuba to defend Havana during the Bay of Pigs. Slowly he came to realize that he "was exactly the kind of enemy the Fidelistos were describing: bourgeois, individualistic, a self-indulgent poet." He began hanging out with people who were out of work and on no side, "procurers, pushers, whores and all night movie operators." Amid the Chinese and Czechoslovakian technicians, he found himself the only tourist in Havana.
"Ladies & Gents, Leonard Cohen", by Jack Hafferkamp, Rolling Stone,
February 4, 1971
MarioJoel

Thanks

Post by MarioJoel » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:49 pm

Tom,

Thanks on such speedy answer. I would give anything to know what LC thinks of communist Cuba today. Anyways, I feel that whatever reason drew him here was more emotional than rational (ego thing?)
well...

best,
Mario
I am Cuban

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”