"Only One Thing" drawing/poem available online

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:26 am

Sex? That never crossed my mind. Interesting. But I wonder. I wonder 'cause sexual activity does not only have one purpose which is to procreate and one could have happy healthy sex at any age. Different than at 20, but each age has its pleasures. That does not have to be "my best souvenirs". Not at all. He looks like Capitaine Haddock on the drawing. Booze? 8)

Rasor? :roll:

Finding serenity at last. I join you on this one.
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:02 pm

I should take lessons (another correction that I do buy, even without being asking, Greg, please note this for the future) from you Nightstalker. Please excuse me if having sex over 29 years old is a sin for you - or having (or not have, or having one) sex at any age is a sin for you and my post could be socking to you. Now.

This time I'm pretty sure he is talking about his beard. Look at the finger prints (of the assassin) are all over it - are it. Funny! Great. And so, indeed, went the beard down the drain, cause he his bare face now on all the pictures, and he had this beard on DH. Well the image of Leonard Cohen we use to see - as a trademark - has no beard. Maybe it has something to do with this?
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:06 pm

Ah, yes... I think you could very well be right in that, Simon, regarding the sex. That had not occurred to me. However, a too-heavily focused looking toward it as a resolve could be his frame of reference for it.

Actually, regarding Montreal, I feel that Leonard would instinctively write what is proper, particularly since he was raised with the language. I agree with what you're suggesting, too, that Leonard has an integral bond with the city. Montreal with the accent is certainly the proper way to write the name of the city. Even though I'm not talking about what is or isn't proper with this, I know that once I started "God" as G~d," it's extremely difficult to consider writing it otherwise... for me, the latter has become the 'proper,' as I really like the concept of what the "~" or the "-" for some [and me, now] represents.

Yes, I like Montrealeans, too :) . I like the way it flows, particularly as I say it. Thank you for the official way, though. I was aware of Quebecois [I don't have the proper punctuation available], but had no idea as to what it was for Montreal.

~ Lizzy
Simon

Postby Simon » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:20 pm

Tchoco wrote
Simon, at McGill University (and probably some other English Univ.) they teach that the correct way to write Montréal is with the original accent. This because it is a non sense (you can not) translate a name. It is like that for people's name etc.
Still I believe that 90%. at least. of English speaking Montrealers will spontaniouly write Montréal without the ‘é’, even if it was for the simple reason that they can’t easily do it on an english keyboard. Most would not bother with it. Just as an example, spot the occurrences of Montreal on this page from today’s Gazette :

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/n ... index.html

What I meant to say was that the ‘é’ in Montréal, here in this piece or art, is not insignificant. This is a composition that was intently crafted. Every element in it was given some thoughtfull attention. But I do not know what the intent could be. Personaly I find ‘Montréal’ more beautiful
Cohen is the koan
Why else would I still be stuck here
Simon

Postby Simon » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Tchoco wrote :
Sex? That never crossed my mind. Interesting. But I wonder. I wonder 'cause sexual activity does not only have one purpose which is to procreate and one could have happy healthy sex at any age.

Personaly, my general impression is that sex does get better with age. At one point you really start having sex rather than sex having you…

I am probably over generalizing, in thinking that to the statement «Only one thing made him happy» most men would not right away think about sex. You’re probably right here; sex is too restrictive. I think his intent might be in illustrating a zen process, maybe a koan of sort. Attachment might be what he’s taking about. Attachement to sex, to beauty, to love, to enchantment. But the central idea remains grief («…now that it was gone…»), how grief is part of the maturing of the human experience, and how grief may bring on new beginings, or at least an opening. Like orgasm is said to be the ‘small death’ (petite mort), so in a way is satori or even just zazen. Detachement occurs, you’re still alive, the cosmos seems more beautiful and perfect then it was before under the reign of attachement.

Does this make any sense? One thing sure, money doesn’t fit in the poem.

What in the world do you girls think about when presented with the statement «Only one thing made her happy»? The one thing?
Last edited by Simon on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cohen is the koan
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:47 pm

Love?
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:51 pm

Paradox is at the core of koan. I think this fits well, I didn't try to comprehend that "The One". I think there's bunch of Leonard's recent poems dealing with The One, unnamable One, O Darkened One (Boogie Street), The Nameless (Love Itself).
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:04 am

ya-ow! :? I wanted to bring the drawing only. :shock: The whole page look nice, though, but a little BIG for here. 8)

What do you think, guys, about the finger prints? And the beard having had a razor job?

Simon, yes of course most English speaking natives do not bother with such details. I would say 99.9%. Leonard Cohen, though, does bother about details. As an English speaking native who is in the writing business, he bothers about writing things correctly, and as a McGill alumnus he may take care of those details.

Hum... my guess is maybe not money but financial security. I guess that her mother struggled with him a lot as a teen in order that young Leonard can be a "real man" in this world : having a good financial situation. I guess that it was important to him to. Financial security gives so much freedom.

My take is this one.

Although I find yours, Simon, much more apealing, in term of poetic guesses.

One thing? As a female? Children :wink:
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:58 am

I saw it as attachment, in general, at first... not thinking to try to name what he was referring to, as it was the attachment itself that concerned me.

However, sex seemed reasonable, too... if the poem is looking back over many years and how his perspectives have changed across time; as does financial security... if looking back over more recent times ~ depending on when the poem was written, one could make a stretch and say it has to do with acceptance of the loss of the money he had so diligently intended to be preserved for his retirement and his children's inheritance. However, I don't really think that's it. I don't know what it is. However, 'attachment' seems to work best... the lesson holds up for everyone, with it being that, as we all have our own attachments, which get in the way of our enjoying everything, for its own sake.

~ Lizzy
Simon

Postby Simon » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:06 am

Tchocolatl wrote:What do you think, guys, about the finger prints? And the beard having had a razor job?
Do you think he could do that fingerprint beard directly on his computer writing pad? That's a computer drawing, isn't it? Original. maybe if he did his whole half bald head in the same maner with his full hand we could finally have a glimps of the lines in his palm.

So yes, what"s with the beard? Isn't it a paradox that a man's two day beard is percieved as sexy, when in fact he cannot reach very far in the exploration of his woman's intimate scenary when his face his in that state? I hear that they now sell razors espacially designed to leave you with the appearence of a two day beard.
Cohen is the koan
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:04 am

Oya, Tchoco, it's the whole page put online in jpg scan - but you have the drawing on The Files also (here).

Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:02 pm

I know Tom, I should have take the time to edit the post, but :roll:

I did not.

Attachtment is the higher principle in action, here, Lz, yes. For one it to this, and for the other is to that, etc.

Simon, you are a little funny guy. 8)
Simon

Postby Simon » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:00 pm

... always glad to make a lady smile ...
Cohen is the koan

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”