what's the meaning of life ?

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Paula

Post by Paula » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:15 pm

I love the banana Partisan do they have gerkins on the same site?

Joe your story reminded me of a similar story involving a thief breaking in to a fast food place and going down the shaft straight into hot fat. He died.

Darwin Awards, The
Celebration of the eminently avoidable ways in which people shuffle off this mortal coil.

http://www.darwinawards.com

The above site is dedicated to bizzare deaths. I will probably get everyone telling me there is nothing funny about death but some of them made me laugh.
George.Wright

To P

Post by George.Wright » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:42 am

The banana is ironic for LC used it on i'm your man tour
As for your mistakes, P , that's another story
And the symbolism..........is it yellow or decayed?
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:38 am

p -
"There are more things between heaven and earth..."
And there are more meanings to one word...
...than your banana wisdom knows of. But being our local expert on all languages will know this much better than anybody else.

Yes: Everybody knows that there is only one meaning of irony!

And never forget this most beautiful song about a Greek in New York:"Yes we have no bananas, We have no bananas today..."

For the full text you might try this URL: http://www.geocities.com/Cag03/NovYesBanana.html

(Especially the passage about the "English clerk" is such a treat!!!)

Tom

PS: Just let me remind you of the late great Josephine Baker who in her youth was a great lover of bananas and France (like you certainly are).
Cia

Post by Cia » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:06 pm

Meaning of life?

How am I to know as far as I would say that the opposite of warm is cold. Then I suddently realize that its not! Warm and cold is the same thing under different circumstanses. So how should I be able to explain the meaning of life?
This must leave everything being the same just under different cirumstanses and that only leaves one thing left. Could it be God? Could it be love? Could love and God be the same? Okay, now its your choise:-)

hugs from Cia :?:
Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:53 pm

What is the meaning of life?
I think it is a question one asks as one grows older to try to make sense of what has gone before.

If it is such that we are born and we die and there is nothing that precedes the former or succeeds the latter then the question applies to the quality of that life. That then begs the question; 'does life have quality?'
The quality of a life correlates to the effect your life has on other lives or the effect other lives have on your own.

It is a fine balance between self fulfillment and selfishness.
It is a fine balance between self satisfaction and greed.

This can be measured at an individual level but becomes compounded when these 'fine balances' are measured across collections of individuals.

One good action by one individual can set off quite a chain reaction.. sometimes knowingly and sometimes unknowingly. Even smiling at another individual can set off a chain of events (there is a theory behind this somewhere). The effect on that person might be minimal but may be amplified further down the chain. It might just alter negative moods/ thoughts to a more positive nature and the rest of the day turns out different to what might have been, which itself will affect others who encounter that person.
Of course, there are deliberate actions that ensure that others benefit.
I saw on the news the other night about an organisation called 'Join me' (there is a web site somewhere). One person placed an ad in a newspaper which just said 2 words...join me. Those who have joined him make sure, that on a Friday, they unexpectedly stop passers by and shoppers and, for example, pay the market stall holder for the apples just bought by someone or just give a pot plant or some flowers to a passer-by. No reason... no explanation.. just to say that it is something they want to do. Now that must set off the chain reaction and enable a sense of pleasure permeating to those who come into contact with the recipient.
Quality of life is thus raised, not necessarily in a material way but the appreciation of someone else's actions.
Obviously, the same chains can be set off with one negative action aimed at one individual and I think we have all been there...it's easier to moan than to praise.

I think I may be veering away from the original question.

Are we here to affect others? Those who are simultaneously here between the 'being born' bit and the 'final' bit are all in it together.
The life given to us as individuals isn't necessarily one with which we have to achieve a certain measure in order to get an award. It is given to us as one component of the many lives given during the same period. The experiences learned are passed down to younger lives but not always with success.
I think I'm writing myself into a corner here as I don't want to end up by saying that we are only here to reproduce :)

I think. Therefore I am. I think.
It's the thinking bit that decides how we act... and that determines the 'am' bit.
I don't think I've answered the question but this is what I think.. therefore I am ...... finished for this evening , until I smile or frown at someone.

Regards
Pete
Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:47 am

p.s.
now, how does this all apply to plants?? :)
or are they there just to maintain the oxygen and carbon dioxide balance in order to sustain our lives and to also look pretty in order to enhance our lives??

and what about the animals??........ food

There, I think I've sussed it all out...

unless I've missed something :)
Pete
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:30 am

You made my night, Pete :lol: ~ you did a joinme :wink: .

~ Lizzy
Style

Post by Style » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:19 am

The increase of the quality of life may be a nice idea to contemplate but I don't think we can, in good faith, accept such a notion. For how is a human life, whether blessed with a high quality or low quality of living, relevant if each life will end the same way? With death. death. death.

'Life is a gradual process, sometimes pleasant and sometimes painful, into nothingness'

I am here. without a reason or a meaning. but I'm here. I wonder sometimes whether we have justify it. (let us be honest, we sometimes wonder whether we have to justify everything).

I want to go for a walk in the forest mist with a long-haired maiden from one of Waterhouse's paintings. don't ask me why. even though I have an answer. innumerable ones.
Style.
Style
dar

Post by dar » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:23 pm

Guess if I'm going to start to participate in the forum, I should start with a nice simple question like this one. Obviously, lots of folks are still interested in the question.

There is no meaning in life, per se. You're given life and you do with it, as you will. Literally, it's your will to live, your will to be, your will to put meaning into it, not assume the meaning is there and you'll "find" it. Give yourself a reason to live and you will. Give yourself a reason not to live, and you won't. Simple.

But, then again...that's so damn arrogant. One of my favorite LC songs is "If It Be Your Will", so I get confused again because if the creator has a "plan" for me then I am suppossed to find it, not draw my own plans.

So...I'm arguing with myself again. Typical of me. I don't even need a forum. I'm my own adversary!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:24 pm

:lol: ~ Dar!

You tied that one up nice and neat and in a bow :lol: !

Welcome to the Forum :D !

~ Elizabeth
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:34 pm

Pete, cogito ergo sum, I think therefore I am.
I prefer, suspiro ergo sum, I sigh, therefore I am. It's more from the heart and feelings from life. And then we can go on for a hundred years discussing 'nature' or 'nurture.' A hundred years? I couldn't handle that. 70 will be enough if I get that far. 8)
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:00 pm

the sacredness of all life in any moment
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:43 pm

Byron

and what about pinkus ergo soya hammus - I'm pink therefore I'm Spam (now there's a cue for a song)

JTS :? (Latin is not one of my strongpoints)
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Spam, DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT SPAM!!!
All we've been getting lately is tons of the damnable stuff.
Every time I press the ultronic-frurgulating V Vindows button on my genuine 19th century updated abacus driven, eclectronically empowered comcucumber device, I get nothing but SPAM,SPAM,SPAM. I'm tired of it. If I'm not shovelling up piano stools every morning, then I'm defraggligating my reasonably Hard-Drive.
And now we have a thread with the blasted stuff appearing out of he ether from who knows where. (But don't forget JTS, "We know where you live" ) So any day soon, your poor doublejointed postman will become triple jointed as I send you a diversion of my week's supply of SPAM.
Bye the way John, if your postman has any spare 'joints' I'd be very much obliged if you could get a couple of spliffs for me. Purely for medicinal purposes of course. Did you read about that young chap who was growing the green stuff on an industrial scale in a building the size of a small house? They should give him the contract to supply the NHS with right stuff for their new treatment of long term chronic pain sufferers. But the contract will go to some friend of some government bigwig, who'll take a nice little bach-hander, as usual.
Must dash, Albert's just been at the creme d' munth again, and he's finished off my glass!
Byrooon 'sins his ragarse.'
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:43 am

John ~

Shouldn't that be, "I'm pink, therefore, I'm farmed salmon?"

~ Lizzytysh

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”