Influence of Federico García Lorca

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Wed May 10, 2006 10:12 pm

Tony

Postby Tony » Tue May 16, 2006 6:18 pm

"Romance de la Guardia Civil Espanola" is a Lorca poem set to music as "Noche Nochera" and performed by the Nicaraguan duo, Guardabarranco. It can be heard on a marvellous cd, "Spain in my Heart", featuring songs of the Spanish Civil War. Appleseed Recordings.
Simon

Postby Simon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:09 pm

A long time ago in a second hand bookstore in the city of Montreal, I stumbled on a book that altered the course of my shabby and tiny existence.
Has he ever specified in which Montréal bookstore this epiphany took place?
Cohen is the koan
Why else would I still be stuck here
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:01 am

As I recall, Simon, that particular bookstore no longer exists.

~ Lizzy
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:11 pm

As for me, I don't remember that a particular name or place was mentioned. There is few old English second hand bookstores - 2 or 3 in a row - corner Sainte-Catherine and Saint-Marc. Owner of one is English speaker only. Does not know a word of French - or if he knows it is his most well guarded secret. So in his bookstore there is whatever old stuff an old stuff lover may dream about. Nothing in French, of course. So there is this particular atmosphere of "for Anglo only" like the old tavern were "for men only". (A little bit like those "etnic cafés" where only men are sitting there because this is how it goes in their native countries) You enter there and it is like a worl into a worl. Cool. I went there about 2 years ago, so it should still be there, I guess, but it is not sure. Other Anglo second hand bookstores I saw are in the neighourhood of the two anglo universities.

Well. click on this beautiful pictures below, it will be faster to enter the world of Federico Garcia Lorca - at least a part of it.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:14 pm

My recollection doesn't have to do with a particular name, but rather someone's [Leonard's?] being asked about which one it is/was, with the response being that it is no longer there.

This could be a t-shirt in 'L.A. by the pool vs. Hydra' style of recollection, of course :wink: . I don't recall any elephants in my family tree :) .

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:35 pm

My recollections on older interviews goes on with Lizzy. I think some journalist (Montrealer') asked which bookstore was that, and Leonard said "Oh, it doesn't exist anymore."

Re: Lorca and Cohen, I am still hoping that someone will comment The Unfaithful Wife. That connection (Lorca-Cohen) is so important and there's still no single reviewer of the book who mentioned that LC let some of his late 80s Lorca stuff into the book (another translation, plus poem Lorca Lives).
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:19 pm

This is exactly how I understood your post Lizzy. :)

As you can not remember all elephants in your family tree (like everybody) other people can remember things that you don't. This is why I was checking for my own elephants. So to speak.

It makes sense that this book store is not existing anymore. This is what I thought when I read the post. "It is probably closed for a long time, now". Second hand book stores come in life and are dying like mushrooms over here, only, often, the stock of a closing store is sold to a new one, so the stock may be the same over all the years. If this is what Simon implied. Of the atmosphere, the old gosts and cie, follow their favourite books, so it could be pretty similar, if Simon would taste a bit of the atmosphere of one of them.

Tom, could you give more details about that, please?
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:29 pm

['Sorry' for the "edited" above ~ I left out the word "be" ~ so it read "This could a t-shirt in . . . " ~ you know how I am about those "edited" lines :wink: . I know it matters little or not at all to others, unless I'm changing my position on something, etc.]

No problem on the elephants, Tchoc :wink: . Unfortunately, bookstores are closing ~ particularly the Used ones ~ since the advent of the Internet marketplace :( ~ good and bad, both...

Thanks for narrowing the field for me, Tom :D .

~ Lizzy
Simon

Postby Simon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:00 pm

Tchocolatl wrote: There is few old English second hand bookstores - 2 or 3 in a row - corner Sainte-Catherine and Saint-Marc.
I was thinking it might have been Argo bookstore, which is one of the 3 you have mentioned. I was there recently and was sad to learn that John George had past away. (Maybe to man you are refering to) For intersesting reading about those 3 bookstores try here:

Downtown booksellers bound by sense of community>>>

I think Westcott Books is the one where you find cats everywhere (live cats) on the shelves and among the dusty mess of book piles on the floor. My kids love the place because for them its like a trip to the Harry Potter bookstore as seen in the movies.
Last edited by Simon on Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cohen is the koan
Why else would I still be stuck here
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:13 pm

That would be a great trip for me, too, Simon... a mini Hydra 8) ... what better than a great book with a great cat :D ? [For some of us, anyway :wink: .]

~ Lizzy
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:20 pm

Don't worry Lizzy, I had understood also that there was a "be" missing in your sentence, and I mentally corrected it. Human brain can manage with those little gremlins in a post. I hope that you do the same with mines, even if I try not to do typo, my posts seem to give shelter to entire colonies of those gremlins. 8)

Simon, just too bad that this gentleman passed away. If it was him or not. Now he may follow his favourite books with the others. So the atmosphere is safe. For the exact place where Gost of Lorca and Soul of Cohen met, I'm afraid that you have to forget about it, as our dear friends up there have the answer : it does not exist anymore.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:40 am

Or to put in in other words: he is standing on the corner where it used to be a a street :wink:
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:35 pm

. . . with those little gremlins in a post . . . my posts seem to give shelter to entire colonies of those gremlins. 8)

I like this humourous way of expressing that :lol: .

The brain is a pretty awesome creature, isn't it?

~ Lizzy
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:46 pm

Tom, itseems to me that you are talking about the actuality and not a second hand book store story. :)

Yes Lizzy, and so dependant on us. 8)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”