Leonard listening to Irving read Death of a Ladies Man

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Cate

Post by Cate »

followed by the song - So Long Marianne. He says something very nice at the end about money and standard of living that rings very true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lWmvfcefAE

Apologies if this has been posted before, any chance the youtube poster is a fellow forum member?
friscogrl

Re: Leonard listening to Irving read Death of a Ladies Man

Post by friscogrl »

Thanks for posting this Cate. I always like to see pictures from Leonard's past with one of his songs behind them. And of course this song was especially poignant.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Cate,

How did I miss this? Thank you so much for the link!

somewhat_nifty/messalina79 put together a fantastic video with so many stunning photos of Marianne. The majority of these pics are new views for me and very much appreciated.

Thanks to you both!

A must see for all forum members.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

Brilliant. Thanks for that. I assume from Irving Layton's intonation that it's "Death Of A Lady's Man" that is being read, but I haven't verified this by digging out a book. This would also make more sense in the video's context.

EDIT: on re-watching the video I find the text of the poem is panned across as it's read, including the title! Funny how you can still miss something when it's staring you in the face.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Cate,
You can never have too much of a good thing!
I've always loved this video and have had it for years. In fact 1979 has always been my favourite LC year but I may have to re-consider that in a couple of months ;-)

Another poem and song here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2byWWMm ... 19&index=4
“Slowly I Married Her” with The Gypsy’s Wife

No poetry but here's another relating link because the first and last part of it are done on the same day as DOALM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUszJI_6WPA
The Window

I'm so hoping for this song to be included in the set list when the UHTC comes down under soon.

All three videos are excerps from The Song Of LC (FCC Tour of 1979 Harry Rasky) and there are some more excellent ones here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL642BF6C35EE28619
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

I so enjoyed this video and the way in which its elements are assembled/overlaid.

Thanks for finding and posting it Cate.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”